Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 143

Thread: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

  1. #111
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So you are a liar. Got it. I actually stated the model in question is exceptionally unrealistic. My ENTIRE POSTS detailed why the model was unrealistic as its assumptions basically required those in the saved/created jobs to be robots. Can you read? And you were NOT merely pointing out that. Instead of actually reading what I wrote, you assumed what you wanted and then created obvious fabrications to attack me on. Too bad that I called you on your bull**** you liar.
    The problem is that your reasoning is exceptionally unrealistic, as I've clearly explained. You have no understanding of debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Not necessarily. Unless you can prove that a specific person's taxes went towards debt servicing, you don't have an argument, unlike say the DOE calling in the swat team on the unpaid education loans. That would actually being pointing guns at people to force them to pay off that debt.
    Most people choose to pay taxes rather than refusing to the point of being persuaded by guns. This is not rocket science.

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Are you really that foolish? I just pointed out how the OP's argument is idiotic because it does not account for multipliers. And you just argued that multipliers don't exist by saying that the costs to provide the initial capital for the initial jobs ends there and no additional jobs are created by indirect spending. Try again, with less fail.
    I'm sorry you're having such trouble understanding the point. Borrowing has consequences that offset the gains you wish to claim. You're only looking at one side of the coin.

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Because you stated that the government took money to pay for the stimulus. Which is wrong. The government will eventually have to pay off the debt related to the stimulus, but it did not take money to pay for the stimulus at the time of the capital infusion.
    Whether they take it immediately or a few years of now is beside the point. They are going to take the money.


    I know this is a difficult concept for many of you on the left, but there is no free lunch.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Someone has to keep that fragile ego of yours intact.
    That's pretty funny coming from someone whining that everyone hates him.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #113
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You do realize this is merely because they are not in power. Look at their record when in power. Didn't McCain rightly say they spent like drunken sailors? If you accept such blatant pandering, you will be fooled again.
    Source please.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Source please.
    For what? You need a soruce to tell republicans have spent money in the past?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #115
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The problem is that your reasoning is exceptionally unrealistic, as I've clearly explained. You have no understanding of debt.
    Still carrying the liar title eh? How is my reasoning exceptionally unrealistic? You falsely attributed an argument to me that I never made. So you calling that theory wrong and I wrong for backing it when I never argued it is dishonest. Furthermore, after I clarified that I never made that argument you declared wrong, you KEEP attributing it to me. So either you can't read or you have a serious chip on your shoulder and you're willing to basically lie in the face of everything.

    Most people choose to pay taxes rather than refusing to the point of being persuaded by guns. This is not rocket science.
    Actually it's jail. Not guns. But still doesn't address what you quoted.

    I'm sorry you're having such trouble understanding the point.
    I'm sorry you think that lying is a good argument.

    Borrowing has consequences that offset the gains you wish to claim. You're only looking at one side of the coin.
    One must wonder if you can read. I never argued that borrowing does not have consequences. I merely pointed out that borrowing can result in good outcomes dependent upon who you are. You never addressed this instead attributing arguments to me that I never made. Furthermore, you still refuse to stop attributing arguments I never made despite clarification I never made them. How does this not render you a liar ?

    Whether they take it immediately or a few years of now is beside the point. They are going to take the money.
    Nice fallacy of raising the bar. Not only are you a liar in accusing me of things I never said, but you now, faced with an argument you can't lie yourself out of (don't you hate that there's a limit on editing posts?) you now raise the bar. Sure, money will be allocated in the future towards debt servicing, but you are still wrong that they took the money to pay for the stimulus. People freely gave them money to pay for the stimulus. Someone else 10, 15, 30 years down the road is going to pay it back.

    I know this is a difficult concept for many of you on the left, but there is no free lunch.
    It's amusing you think Gringrich and Goldwater are on the left.

    Btw, you haven't actually addressed what I was talking about, namely that the cost assumption per job is stupid because it does not account for multipliers. I doubt you even know what a multiplier is.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 07-14-11 at 03:05 AM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #116
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    That's pretty funny coming from someone whining that everyone hates him.
    Everyone? Not a chance. Just those that have problems being honest. Like people who remove context, and then blatantly lie about what you said. Despite reading the actual quote they were replying to showing in fact that they were not talking about the subject in question. Hint: You.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

    OC running around calling everyone a LIAR...........

    .......have you ever posted anything beyond that?
    .
    .
    .
    .

  8. #118
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    OC running around calling everyone a LIAR.
    Wrong. I first point out what I said and what they accused me of saying. I then often give them a chance to take that back. When they again blatantly misrepresent what I said despite being given clarification as to what was actually said, I accusing them of being a liar. Because I previously established the basis for what was deemed deliberately untruthful, gave them time to retract their statements and when they failed to do so and kept pushing the same mispresentation, I am not calling people liars. I am merely attributing a proven event of deliberate dishonestly to their character.

    have you ever posted anything beyond that?
    it's funny you say that.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...post1059639353

    Btw, did I call Vance a liar?

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...post1059639555

    Note how he misrepresented my position, was clarified and then admitted he was wrong. You people get clarified, and then keep misrepresenting my positions. I never once called Vance a liar in that thread. Because he was not.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 07-14-11 at 03:18 AM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #119
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. The total spending and stated jobs given look reasonable. It's just that the underlying assumptions as to why the calculation stopped there are truly asinine. And IMO, the lack of multipliers are a rather large error.
    You misunderstand I think. If a stimulus job does 500mil of road work, then you have gotten 500 mil of value from that stimulus job, plus employed people. The calculation only would divide the cost of the job by the number of people employed, and ignores that the work provided something of value.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #120
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You misunderstand I think. If a stimulus job does 500mil of road work, then you have gotten 500 mil of value from that stimulus job, plus employed people. The calculation only would divide the cost of the job by the number of people employed, and ignores that the work provided something of value.
    True, but that is exceptionally hard to quantify. What is the additional economic growth based on the capital improvement over baseline? At least with multipliers we can generate decent estimates based on the velocity of money.

    But your argument and mine are somewhat similar in that the value of the stimulus doesn't end at the saved/created job, and therefore the calculated number is stupid.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •