Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

    Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in budget - CBS News

    (AP) WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama said Saturday that "nothing can be off-limits" in the budget debate — even though Republicans have said tax increases are. The president said every tax break and federal program must come under scrutiny.

    With an Aug. 2 deadline looming to raise the government borrowing limit, the president used his weekly radio and Internet address to call on Congress to make a deal.

    He also renewed his call for Congress to eliminate some tax breaks for the well-off as part of any agreement. Republicans want deep spending cuts without any tax increases while Mr. Obama and Democrats call for what they term a "balanced" approach. That means one that also includes new revenue in the form of higher taxes for some, though Democrats steer clear of using phrases like "tax increases" or "higher taxes."

    "Now, it would be nice if we could keep every tax break, but we can't afford them," President Obama said. "Because if we choose to keep those tax breaks for millionaires and billionaires, or for hedge fund managers and corporate jet owners, or for oil and gas companies pulling in huge profits without our help — then we'll have to make even deeper cuts somewhere else."
    I quite agree. And why would anybody disagree? It's completely irrational to think that compromise doesn't equal some form of - oh, what's the word I'm looking for?

    ****ING COMPROMISE.

  2. #2
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

    Rigid ideology does not allow for compromise.

    Right now, many of these lawmakers have staked their very identity on opposing taxes and stripping down government to its skeleton. They have made it a moral imperative akin to the left's desire to reduce global warming. They do not care about the consequences of their actions to the economy or to the average Joe, what is important is an abstract idea that taxes and government are bad and must be stopped. Most on the newly elected right earned their positions under the premise of creating jobs, but that focus has long been abandoned under the mistaken notion that attacking taxation is always inherently good for promoting economic growth and that cutting government spending and regulation will somehow restore confidence in the markets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  3. #3
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

    yeah. except oh wait. Democrats in the Senate already said entitlement reform was off the table. and of course, the President is insisting that it has to have tax increases.

  4. #4
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    yeah. except oh wait. Democrats in the Senate already said entitlement reform was off the table. and of course, the President is insisting that it has to have tax increases.


    President Barack Obama said Saturday that "nothing can be off-limits" in the budget debate — even though Republicans have said tax increases are. The president said every tax break and federal program must come under scrutiny.
    It sounds like the Democrats have had a change of heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  5. #5
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

    hey, i'm willing to bet that republicans would be willing to trade the Bush tax cuts for Ryan's Medicare plan. I would, and I'm just this side of saying F it let the debt ceiling pass and let's go to a balanced budget now.



    buuuuut that's not going to happen. the President has already made it clear that he intends to run in 2012 on the MediScare Strategy, and he's not going to give up his reelection for a little thing like the US Economy.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

    Cut the ****ing Defense Budget and give us some real incentive to work with less, the DoD needs to figure out how to use its money more efficiently. I'll give you an example, I was doing inventories today of our company's equipment and looking over my Commander's FLIPL, which stands for "Financial Liability Investigation of Property Loss." Basically it means if you lose something, or at least too much of something the Army will come take your pay for its lost equipment.

    Anyway I was counting these things:


    A wooden mallet which looks almost no different than this one and which we are supposed to have 48 of in the company, one per truck as part of the Basic Issue Items. Looking on the form I realized this ****ing thing cost the Army $55.38 PER UNIT, which meant counting 48 mallets accounted for 2640 dollars. Now 2640 dollars isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but the fact that these wooden mallets and many other things from pliers to wrenches cost over 50 dollars per unit for everyone in the Army must add up to a hell of a lot of wasted money. Not only that but because they cost so much for the Army to buy them the Army spends a lot more money protecting them, and accounting for them, my salary for example.

    I get paid X amount of dollars per month and I assume the Army wants some work out of me, and while I don't disagree that inventory is necessary its also inherently a waste. Why? Because its not our mission, its something we must do to accomplish our mission regardless but its not our mission to do inventories, but the only reason we spend so much time doing them is because no one wants to have to pay for 2640 dollars in wooden mallets because a box was lost somewhere or consumed on a mission and wasn't annotated on a shortage annex. So the fact that these things cost so much for the army, means I have to be that much more through and anal about my inventory which is that much more time away from accomplishing our actual mission or doing something else more productive, like training. The less time we have to worry about wooden mallets, 10 inch pliers, 1-1/2 - 7-8 wrenches, etc which all cost over 50 dollars, the more time we can do something more productive, yes we'll have to inventory them anyway but it'll be less stressful, consume less time, consume less money and provide more "value" to the Army through my own and other's personal labor. Basically they'll get more done while paying me the same, because I won't spend a week buried in a supply room.
    Last edited by Wiseone; 07-02-11 at 11:54 AM.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

    I agree also but unfortunately Obama doesn't.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

    good.

    cut interventionism and the drug war first.

  9. #9
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Rigid ideology does not allow for compromise.

    Right now, many of these lawmakers have staked their very identity on opposing taxes and stripping down government to its skeleton. They have made it a moral imperative akin to the left's desire to reduce global warming. They do not care about the consequences of their actions to the economy or to the average Joe, what is important is an abstract idea that taxes and government are bad and must be stopped. Most on the newly elected right earned their positions under the premise of creating jobs, but that focus has long been abandoned under the mistaken notion that attacking taxation is always inherently good for promoting economic growth and that cutting government spending and regulation will somehow restore confidence in the markets.
    That's what they were elected to do. I'm kinda proud of them for not forgetting the will of the people.

  10. #10
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Obama: "Nothing can be off-limits" in Budget

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Cut the ****ing Defense Budget and give us some real incentive to work with less, the DoD needs to figure out how to use its money more efficiently. I'll give you an example, I was doing inventories today of our company's equipment and looking over my Commander's FLIPL, which stands for "Financial Liability Investigation of Property Loss." Basically it means if you lose something, or at least too much of something the Army will come take your pay for its lost equipment.

    Anyway I was counting these things:


    A wooden mallet which looks almost no different than this one and which we are supposed to have 48 of in the company, one per truck as part of the Basic Issue Items. Looking on the form I realized this ****ing thing cost the Army $55.38 PER UNIT, which meant counting 48 mallets accounted for 2640 dollars. Now 2640 dollars isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but the fact that these wooden mallets and many other things from pliers to wrenches cost over 50 dollars per unit for everyone in the Army must add up to a hell of a lot of wasted money. Not only that but because they cost so much for the Army to buy them the Army spends a lot more money protecting them, and accounting for them, my salary for example.

    I get paid X amount of dollars per month and I assume the Army wants some work out of me, and while I don't disagree that inventory is necessary its also inherently a waste. Why? Because its not our mission, its something we must do to accomplish our mission regardless but its not our mission to do inventories, but the only reason we spend so much time doing them is because no one wants to have to pay for 2640 dollars in wooden mallets because a box was lost somewhere or consumed on a mission and wasn't annotated on a shortage annex. So the fact that these things cost so much for the army, means I have to be that much more through and anal about my inventory which is that much more time away from accomplishing our actual mission or doing something else more productive, like training. The less time we have to worry about wooden mallets, 10 inch pliers, 1-1/2 - 7-8 wrenches, etc which all cost over 50 dollars, the more time we can do something more productive, yes we'll have to inventory them anyway but it'll be less stressful, consume less time, consume less money and provide more "value" to the Army through my own and other's personal labor. Basically they'll get more done while paying me the same, because I won't spend a week buried in a supply room.
    Those mallets were probably made by a union company, so the price would obviously be double that of what you're going to pay at Home Depot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •