Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 142

Thread: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

  1. #21
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

    In So California unemployment is near 15%, who said the recession is over. It's a dang depression where I live.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    How very boring...
    Reading is not boring! You're just choosing the wrong books. I recommend George R.R. Martin and Jim Butcher for starters.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

    While not researching all the "economists" on that list, I'd guess that they are in large numbers the same ones that stated that the banks were in fine shape in 2008. This list would include Bernanke. Why anyone would listen to him now when he was so very wrong on the banks always leaves me scratching my head.

    Find me the opinion of those who called the banking collapse.

  4. #24
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Quick question. How many times was the debt ceiling raised on Bush's watch?
    How many times did Obama vote against it?

  5. #25
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    While not researching all the "economists" on that list, I'd guess that they are in large numbers the same ones that stated that the banks were in fine shape in 2008. This list would include Bernanke. Why anyone would listen to him now when he was so very wrong on the banks always leaves me scratching my head.

    Find me the opinion of those who called the banking collapse.
    Probably some of the same ones that said spening trillions in pork would get the economy rolling, again.

  6. #26
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Reading is not boring! You're just choosing the wrong books. I recommend George R.R. Martin and Jim Butcher for starters.
    I wasn't talking about reading, I was talking about your response and debate ethic.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

    I haven't heard of anyone doubting that the failure to raise the debt ceiling would have painful consequences. Let's say you have a bunch of credit cards coming due and no cash. If you can't take out more credit cards to pay off the old debt, the consequences will be painful.

    We need to let the Federal Government issue more IOUs on our behalf. I'm worried about more than a recession as an alternative. Default would look worse than what we call recession.

    That's the thing about recklessly overspending the public's money. It screws the American people in a way that they cannot be unscrewed.

  8. #28
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I haven't heard of anyone doubting that the failure to raise the debt ceiling would have painful consequences. Let's say you have a bunch of credit cards coming due and no cash. If you can't take out more credit cards to pay off the old debt, the consequences will be painful.

    We need to let the Federal Government issue more IOUs on our behalf. I'm worried about more than a recession as an alternative. Default would look worse than what we call recession.

    That's the thing about recklessly overspending the public's money. It screws the American people in a way that they cannot be unscrewed.
    The problem is that there are people who want us to default. They are on the republican side.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    The problem is that there are people who want us to default. They are on the republican side.
    Meaning sooner? Rather than later?

  10. #30
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Economists: Failure to raise debt limit could lead to recession

    Here is a thought … They are going to raise the debt ceiling anyway.. So how about this .. raise it … and agree that this is the last time for the next say 5 or 10 years that it will be raised .. so we better get our spending down to where we don't have to raise it again .. cause it's not going to happen

    That way we paid our debts .. as promised … while at the same time we begin to cut .. next year when this comes up again . It can be fairly said .. that we told the American people it wasn't going to happen .. and if it demands a government shut down .. then so be it .

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •