Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 137

Thread: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?

  1. #61
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    HOPE and CHANGE baby!! Hope and Change....
    I guess I'm just pessimistic because I think we're just as screwed regardless of who is in office.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?

    I disagree. Does that make me an optimist?

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?


    Not sure if you understand the pieces of CEO pay. The article tries to explain that companies are paying more CASH and less in stock. That is a debate that keeps going back and forth. But remember that if companies had given stock in 2008 and 2009 when the market was down these folks would have made even more money. It is also hard to really calculates this stuff as profit on stock only becomes income when the CEO sells the stock and takes a gain. Again, the article talks to unrealized gains, but may not have explained what it means ( stock options below the current market price still held by the individual).

    Now do CEOs make more than their value. In probably most instances, yes. There was no lesson learned by the recession. Not sure what the lesson would be for a company not in the financial sector. Their company got hammered when the economy froze, says nothing about CEO pay.

    Not sure if you have worked with senior management of a large company to see how this stuff worked in reality. No article in a newspaper can really explain the nuances of this topic.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?

    Thank you. I'm having a reaction to the fact that the money is there, yes? The economy is recovering. For some.

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Thank you. I'm having a reaction to the fact that the money is there, yes? The economy is recovering. For some.
    Yes, that is true. How to get that better distributed is very hard to figure out. You have to remember that wages are not a zero sum game. So that if we pay CEOs less, others will get paid more. What the reality is if CEOs make less the corporation will make more. The key seems to be that capital is fungible. That is it can easily travel to whereever it will get the best return. So the real question seems to be how to make it more profitable for companies to keep their capital in the U.S. versus elsewhere.

    Saying that, the issue is more complicated than just tax rates as some would say. Yes that goes into the calculation, but it one of many things people look at when deciding where to invest ( build factories, hire support teams etc).

    So back to your point do CEOs use the power of their office to enrich themselves, yes. Does it impact what the average worker makes, bit in any meaningful way if at all.

  6. #66
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    I disagree. Does that make me an optimist?
    yes.









    .

  7. #67
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Capital isn't only gained by investment, its gained also by people spending money on the product/service you provide. Take my same example and apply it to a car company. Those people that got a 50k bonus now have enough money to buy the car they make and couldn't afford prior. Many would buy the car as a sign of loyalty and wealth.
    How do car makers get the money for an auto manufacturing plant? You think they can do that on profits alone? Do you realize how many years it would take to build up the money for that investment through profit alone?

    The market doesn't determine CEO positions, thats the point. You can see if a CEO is good if the CEO makes the company more profitable, or keep profit around the same level despite dire economic conditions. If your company is hemerging money and you stay as CEO, you aren't staying because of the market.
    Bad CEO's are typically kicked out, by the way.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #68
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    The market for corporate CEO's is gamed in favor of the CEO's through compensation commitees. And any gamed market is not a reliable indicator of value
    Because companies are so much better off by paying CEO's more than they're worth, right? If the market did not demand those high salaries, then why do companies continue to pay them? Wouldn't the smarter company save a lot of money by not doing it?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #69
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post


    Bad CEO's are typically kicked out, by the way.
    yes, with a ten million dollar "golden parachute". Where can I get a temp job as a CEO again?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #70
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: The economic recovery turns 2: Feel better yet?

    Unless you are a shareholder, why is it any of your damn business.

    .

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •