Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 110

Thread: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Except that there are alot of other bullet points, and that it does not do what the DREAM Act proposed.
    And your point is? The bottom line is that ICE is not going to enforce federal law. So the states must do the job. And the Federal government be damned.

  2. #32
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    And your point is? The bottom line is that ICE is not going to enforce federal law. So the states must do the job. And the Federal government be damned.
    No, that is not what the memo says. What the memo says is that they cannot afford to prosecute every case in court, and gives guidelines for who to prioritize and who not to.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #33
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    And your point is? The bottom line is that ICE is not going to enforce federal law. So the states must do the job. And the Federal government be damned.
    Well the illegal immigrant population must think that is just "dreamy".......


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Well the illegal immigrant population must think that is just "dreamy".......
    Not necessarily. This is basically already done and has been for some time. Discretion allows government enforcement against illegal aliens certain possibilities, ranging from letting them go, to deporting them, to prosecuting and jailing them. Doing the latter to all illegals caught is expensive, and has never been done.

    Also, let me quote from the memo:

    As there is no right to the favorable exercise of discretion by the agency, nothing in this memorandum should be construed to prohibit the apprehension, detention, or removal of any alien unlawfully in the United States or to limit the legal authority of ICE or any of its personnel to enforce federal immigration law. Similarly, this memorandum, which may be modified, superseded, or rescinded at any time without notice, is not intended to, does not, and may not be relied upon to create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law by any party in any administrative, civil, or criminal matter.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Then show me the executive order.
    The link to the Executive Order is right there in the HotAir article, second paragraph under "the new memo".

    The memo didn't come from the White House. It came from the Director of ICE, and it's consistent with immigration policy from the past going as far back as 1973. The problem, as the ICE Director puts it, is the agency doesn't have the resources, i.e., manpower and detention facilities, to prosecute every illegal alien they catch. The memo didn't say that ICE would shirk its duties in apprehending illegal aliens, however. It merely stated that it will focus its attention in those areas vital to our national security interests, i.e., drug trafficers, arms smugglers, individuals on terrorist watch lists, etc., and make decision who to prosecute based on various circumstances which it has the authority to do. (See pages 4 and 5 of the memo for more details)

    I understand people's frustration, mistrust or even anger in this matter, but ICE isn't doing anything here they haven't been doing for over 3 decades. Moreover, even the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of some resident aliens with questionable immigration status and allowed them to stay based on various circumstances as outlined in pages 4 and 5 of the memo, i.e., their "ties" to family, work history, U.S. military affiliation, etc. But yes, in a manner of speaking this ICE Director's memo is a "go-around" Congress, but it's not inconsistent with the agency's "presecutorial discretion" practices of the past.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 06-26-11 at 05:20 PM.

  6. #36
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The link to the Executive Order is right there in the HotAir article, second paragraph under "the new memo".
    Just so no one is confused: that is not an EO nor an Executive Memo. It did not come from Obama, is not signed by Obama. Whether he ordered it or not is unknown, but I think unlikely since it is just clarification of policy as it has been.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

    Redress,

    You can relax, pardna...I already said that.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, that is not what the memo says. What the memo says is that they cannot afford to prosecute every case in court, and gives guidelines for who to prioritize and who not to.
    Yep. So consider not prosecuting people who meet the requirements laid out in the failed act.
    This memo is from the top. So it isn't guidance so much as it is direction.

    The states do have options. Every state which is so inclined can pass laws that make it illegal to hire, or help illegal aliens. When businesses lose their licenses because they hired illegal immigrants there is not so much demand for them. And they drive away to Tennessee or California. Or someoher state that has failed, is about to fail or will fail.
    Last edited by Misterveritis; 06-26-11 at 05:35 PM.

  9. #39
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Redress,

    You can relax, pardna...I already said that.
    I understand that. I just wanted to make it clear to others reading that it was not an EO. As this thread shows, actual research is not done by enough people.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Obama Administration Passes DREAM ACT by Executive Memo

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post

    If it happened, it should be listed here. Where is it on this page?

    Also, note I said mistaken, and reporting on a WND story. None of that is a conspiracy. Don't build that straw man.
    Post #1 says Executive Memo. The one term president Obama has henchmen.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •