Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

  1. #1
    Advisor DontDoIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois, Land of Liberals
    Last Seen
    11-22-15 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    391

    Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

    Analysis: Ethanol grown up, will withstand subsidy loss | Reuters
    Farmers worried about ethanol subsidy cuts - CBS News

    Well most conservatives would see this as a major victory, but as a conservative corn producing farmer this one may end up hurting us. Although corn has been skyrocketing and E-85 has been a let down in terms of success, it leaves a bittersweet taste, although the article talks of a possible compromise which would be suitable.

    Thoughts?
    "It is a sad day in society when people adjust the facts to fit their beliefs, rather than adjust their beliefs to fit the facts."
    Libertarian/Conservative/Christian Beliefs

  2. #2
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

    Good they need to end, ethanol is a big ruse on the american people...HOWEVER, having said that recently big oil execs whined to congress that it not fair to take their HUGE subisidies and not others...and of course the teaparty gop agreed wholeheartedly and voted down ending them....how is ethanol subsidies any different and if we end those shouldnt big oils subsidies end too

  3. #3
    Advisor DontDoIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois, Land of Liberals
    Last Seen
    11-22-15 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    391

    Re: Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Good they need to end, ethanol is a big ruse on the american people...HOWEVER, having said that recently big oil execs whined to congress that it not fair to take their HUGE subisidies and not others...and of course the teaparty gop agreed wholeheartedly and voted down ending them....how is ethanol subsidies any different and if we end those shouldnt big oils subsidies end too
    Indeed oil should be ended too, if anything theirs should have been ended long ago and before ethanol. Im guessing they are subsidized much more than ethanol is as well?
    "It is a sad day in society when people adjust the facts to fit their beliefs, rather than adjust their beliefs to fit the facts."
    Libertarian/Conservative/Christian Beliefs

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,947

    Re: Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

    I'd like to see the end of subsidies. Encouraging farmers to grow fuel instead of food has always seemed a bad policy to me. Especially the effect of it at the grocery market.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Good they need to end, ethanol is a big ruse on the american people...HOWEVER, having said that recently big oil execs whined to congress that it not fair to take their HUGE subisidies and not others...and of course the teaparty gop agreed wholeheartedly and voted down ending them....how is ethanol subsidies any different and if we end those shouldnt big oils subsidies end too
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

    The argument in ending ethanol subsidies isn't that it's an unproven industry, but rather that it has been profitable and can continue being profitable on its own. If that's the case, why are we continuing the subsidies for big oil when they've shown they can earn big profits for years!?!

  6. #6
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,807

    Re: Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

    Variable dial pumps---the guy at the pump decides how much ethanol he wants and how it impacts his cost at the pump. Let the consumer decide, I suspect we will see local support for ethanol in farming communities and not so much in the metros. It will create an additional cost onto local stations as they will need holding tanks for just ethanol as well as new pumps to support the mixing, but...gas stations are some giant revenue streams, let me tell ya.

    Objective Voice, thanks for the disinformation, Ethanol gets the same tax breaks Oil gets and gets money directly from the government on top of that. Every company gets tax write offs for R&D and Capital Amortization, not just oil.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Variable dial pumps---the guy at the pump decides how much ethanol he wants and how it impacts his cost at the pump. Let the consumer decide, I suspect we will see local support for ethanol in farming communities and not so much in the metros. It will create an additional cost onto local stations as they will need holding tanks for just ethanol as well as new pumps to support the mixing, but...gas stations are some giant revenue streams, let me tell ya.

    Objective Voice, thanks for the disinformation, Ethanol gets the same tax breaks Oil gets and gets money directly from the government on top of that. Every company gets tax write offs for R&D and Capital Amortization, not just oil.
    Interesting idea. But ethanol over I believe about 15% requires substantial modification to both the the physical fuel system (lines seals etc) as well as the engine management systems. "Flex fuel" vehicles like Fords have a sensor that adjusts amount of fuel delivered, ignition curves etc, but as far as I know no manufacturer sells any stock vehicles capable of running on "any" mix of gas/ethanol. And don't forget, a gallon of ethanol won't take you as far as a gallon of gas.

    Turning food into fuel is causing issues with global fuel supplies as well.

    Until we get green waste alcohols going we need to keep ethanol as an oxygenate and not a fuel, imho.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #8
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

    Quote Originally Posted by DontDoIt View Post
    Analysis: Ethanol grown up, will withstand subsidy loss | Reuters
    Farmers worried about ethanol subsidy cuts - CBS News

    Well most conservatives would see this as a major victory, but as a conservative corn producing farmer this one may end up hurting us. Although corn has been skyrocketing and E-85 has been a let down in terms of success, it leaves a bittersweet taste, although the article talks of a possible compromise which would be suitable.

    Thoughts?
    Not getting the hand out might be a bit of a shock for a time but the market for corn will never go away and there will be more and cheaper for people and as a feed crop which could have a positive affect on some food prices and that is a good thing.

  9. #9
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

    Any business that can operate with a profit should NOT be getting a subsidy. Any business that CANNOT operate with a profit is not viable and should NOT be getting a subsidy. Pretty basic stuff.

  10. #10
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ethanol Subsidies May Be Coming To An End

    Good and while we're at it, how about killing ALL state subsidies. They're nothing but stolen money from the tax payers given to prop up industries, a business should be able to stand up on it's own two feet.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •