Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Rolling back union busting in Ohio

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Rolling back union busting in Ohio

    In Wisconsin, they are killing off union busting through a recall effort, but in Ohio, they chose another route, by collecting more than 714,000 signatures, more than 3 times as many as needed to put it on a referendum ballot. Here is the sweet part of it all - The law is now going to be blocked from going into effect, and when the referendum wins this November, it will be as though the law was never passed at all..... With a caveat - Many of those who voted for this union busting law will be up for reelection.

    From the Facebook page of "We are Ohio"
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Rolling back union busting in Ohio

    I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Ohio has an average voter turn out of 56.3% and a total population of 11,542,645. So on average you'll see 6,498,509.1 people turn out to vote. Now, special elections, or votes held during off-seaon have a typical turn out of 10% in Ohio. They'd have to get 577,132.25 people to get an even split on vote, and with voter turn out on an off-season vote so low, it is probably safe to assume that the majority of that 714k might not turn up at the ballot box. Also, 714k people is only about 6% of the total state population....
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #3
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Rolling back union busting in Ohio

    Turnout will indeed have an effect, this being an off-cycle vote usually means a light turnout. So you then turn to the enthusiasm factor. Those in favor of repeal rallied and actively pursued three quarters of a million signatures to initiate a referendum on SB 5. Those who oppose repeal did nothing. AFAICT there was no push from the voters to restrict bargaining rights of public workers. It was just a by-product of electing conservatives and it looks like, according to polls, that a majority of them didn't agree.


    A Quinnipiac poll from mid May shows that 54 - 36 percent say that SB 5 should be repealed.

    Ohio (OH) Poll * May 18, 2011 * Ohio Gov's Approval Up, But Mo - Quinnipiac University – Hamden, Connecticut


    PPP's poll has it 54 to 31 in favor of repeal.

    Public Policy Polling: Brutal numbers for Kasich, SB 5
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  4. #4
    Advisor Swizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-05-12 @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    351

    Re: Rolling back union busting in Ohio

    Wow, those numbers are really bad.

  5. #5
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Rolling back union busting in Ohio

    I'm so torn on this issue. This is one of the few things I've actually gotten into a political argument about in real life. My mom is a teacher, and a member of the teacher's union, and we had a rather heated discussion about it last time I was home.

    Because while I do think that teachers' unions do some negative things (like hiring and firing based solely on seniority), they also do good things too (like fighting to keep class sizes small).
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Rolling back union busting in Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Ohio has an average voter turn out of 56.3% and a total population of 11,542,645. So on average you'll see 6,498,509.1 people turn out to vote. Now, special elections, or votes held during off-seaon have a typical turn out of 10% in Ohio. They'd have to get 577,132.25 people to get an even split on vote, and with voter turn out on an off-season vote so low, it is probably safe to assume that the majority of that 714k might not turn up at the ballot box. Also, 714k people is only about 6% of the total state population....
    i'll be there to vote sb5 down.

  7. #7
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,714

    Re: Rolling back union busting in Ohio

    the unions will probably win because they are wetting their pants over this bill and most of us who support it aren't going to turn out for that. I will vote-I haven't missed an election in years but most people who tire of union nonsense aren't as riled up as the public unions who want to keep looting the public treasury and their private sector "brothers" who are brainwashed by the union bosses who are agents of the democratic party

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Rolling back union busting in Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the unions will probably win because they are wetting their pants over this bill and most of us who support it aren't going to turn out for that. I will vote-I haven't missed an election in years but most people who tire of union nonsense aren't as riled up as the public unions who want to keep looting the public treasury and their private sector "brothers" who are brainwashed by the union bosses who are agents of the democratic party
    yep, we are all brainwashed

  9. #9
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,714

    Re: Rolling back union busting in Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    yep, we are all brainwashed
    many of you are. I have dealt with unions for years. I remember at one firm we dealt with the main Unions at AK steel. One week we got four bogus grievances including one where the union member got a suspension for driving a fork lift while drunk which he punched through a wall in the unit where he was working causing about 40K in damages.

    so we go to the grievance arbitration (the union lost at step one and step two) and I ask the Union rep WTH was going on and he took me aside and said, Counselor this is as far as this grievance goes but elections are next week and we have to keep the members happy even though both of us know its a bs grievance. So we win the arbitration and the Union rep threatens a suit-which of course never happened since his slate was re-elected before the time to file was up.

    my experience of doing labor related cases (among other things) for 26 years-yeah most of the RaF are brainwashed by the bosses

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Rolling back union busting in Ohio

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    many of you are. I have dealt with unions for years. I remember at one firm we dealt with the main Unions at AK steel. One week we got four bogus grievances including one where the union member got a suspension for driving a fork lift while drunk which he punched through a wall in the unit where he was working causing about 40K in damages.

    so we go to the grievance arbitration (the union lost at step one and step two) and I ask the Union rep WTH was going on and he took me aside and said, Counselor this is as far as this grievance goes but elections are next week and we have to keep the members happy even though both of us know its a bs grievance. So we win the arbitration and the Union rep threatens a suit-which of course never happened since his slate was re-elected before the time to file was up.

    my experience of doing labor related cases (among other things) for 26 years-yeah most of the RaF are brainwashed by the bosses
    sure sure turtle, whatever you say

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •