Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 117

Thread: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

  1. #81
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They'll effect gas prices quicker than no new discoveries at all.
    You might want to rethink that statement. No new discoveries would affect prices just as quickly as new discoveries since both would have an equal, but opposite, effect on the supply side of the supply and demand equation. The new discoveries might have a slight effect on dropping oil prices, but the factors I cited are the main causes of dropping prices.

    But that's neither here nor there, since the fact of the matter here is that you were completely wrong when you cited these recent discoveries in the Gulf as a factor in the recent decreases in gas prices.

    Either way, these new discoveries will certainly create more jobs than the government has done.
    You think it's the government's job to create jobs?
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 06-18-11 at 12:28 AM.

  2. #82
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,221

    Re: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You might want to rethink that statement. No new discoveries would affect prices just as quickly as new discoveries since both would have an equal, but opposite, effect on the supply side of the supply and demand equation. The new discoveries might have a slight effect on dropping oil prices, but the factors I cited are the main causes of dropping prices.
    Let me rephrase--as if you didn't know what I meant: New oil discoveries would lower gas prices quicker than no new discoveries at all.

    But that's neither here nor there, since the fact of the matter here is that you were completely wrong when you cited these recent discoveries in the Gulf as a factor in the recent decreases in gas prices.



    You think it's the government's job to create jobs?
    Not only do I think it's not the government's job, but the government can't create jobs.

  3. #83
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Let me rephrase--as if you didn't know what I meant: New oil discoveries would lower gas prices quicker than no new discoveries at all.
    I never assume that other people mean something totally different from what they actually said, but if it looks like they might have wanted to say something other than what they said, I'll probably tell them that they might want to rethink their statement. Which is what I did here.

    But the fact remains that these discoveries still had nothing to do with the recent drop in gas prices, which is far different from what you appeared to imply earlier.

    Not only do I think it's not the government's job, but the government can't create jobs.
    Well, the massive government bureaucracy seems to disagree with you on the government's ability to create jobs (it's not like all jobs actually have to be useful or productive), but that's also neither here nor there.

    The real question is why are you bringing up job creation in a discussion abotu what factors incluenced the recent drop in gas prices?

    It made no sense in the context of what was said.

  4. #84
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,221

    Re: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I never assume that other people mean something totally different from what they actually said, but if it looks like they might have wanted to say something other than what they said, I'll probably tell them that they might want to rethink their statement. Which is what I did here.

    But the fact remains that these discoveries still had nothing to do with the recent drop in gas prices, which is far different from what you appeared to imply earlier.
    A slow down in demand an increase in supply had everything to do with the recent drop in gas prices.



    Well, the massive government bureaucracy seems to disagree with you on the government's ability to create jobs (it's not like all jobs actually have to be useful or productive), but that's also neither here nor there.

    The real question is why are you bringing up job creation in a discussion abotu what factors incluenced the recent drop in gas prices?

    It made no sense in the context of what was said.
    Obviously, it isn't working, when you look at the unemployment rate. Jobs that are funded with tax dollars are nothing more than welfare.

  5. #85
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The recent oil discoveries would not have such a quick effect on gas prices. Refineries are actually processing less crude due to lowered demand, so having more crude available to not be processed won't effect prices immediately.
    Don't you find it a bit futile trying to explain the mechanics of the oil market to adpst? It's really appalling he works in this field yet doesn't get any of its even basic issues.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #86
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're a high school student that reads alot of accounting text books. What could yu possibly know about running a business?
    Oh look. Once again apdst can't refute anything I say and must resort to personal attacks. Notice how I do it. I point out how your argument is stupid. I wait for you to make a pathetic retort based on personal insults, I then recite why your argument is stupid and then personally jab you.

    Key difference. You never refute anything I say. You just start right at the personal insults.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #87
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Let me rephrase--as if you didn't know what I meant: New oil discoveries would lower gas prices quicker than no new discoveries at all.
    Still wrong. Oil doesn't go from extraction site to end users in months. It's appalling I had to tell you that. I really doubt you work in the oil field. New discovers won't lower gas prices any quicker then no new discoveries because the short term oil supply cannot be affected by any new discoveries.

    But that's neither here nor there, since the fact of the matter here is that you were completely wrong when you cited these recent discoveries in the Gulf as a factor in the recent decreases in gas prices.
    Actually the reduction in US demand, increase in Saudi short term supply and adjustments to deal with the drop off of Libyan crude have far more to do with that then anything you said.

    Not only do I think it's not the government's job, but the government can't create jobs.
    I guess everyone in the military doesn't have a job then, not to mention everyone who works in the modern aerospace industry. And nuclear industry. You look like a total fool every time you say that.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #88
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It made no sense in the context of what was said.
    Because he has no argument. Same reason why he's personally insulting me (while completely ignoring my arguments) and why he brought in the green investment. He has nothing to argue with. If this was a fight, we'd be arrested for assaulting an unarmed man.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #89
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    A slow down in demand an increase in supply had everything to do with the recent drop in gas prices.
    Sort of, the economic problems are a bigger factor, but regardless of that, you weren't talking about an increase in supply. You were talking about the discovery of new crude oil. That was entirely innacurate.



    Obviously, it isn't working, when you look at the unemployment rate. Jobs that are funded with tax dollars are nothing more than welfare.
    The real question is why are you bringing up job creation in a discussion abotu what factors incluenced the recent drop in gas prices?

    It makes no sense in the context of what was said. Is it just pure liberal derangement syndrome?

  10. #90
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Exxon finds 700 million barrels in the GOM

    How did 700,000,000 barrels end up in the Gulf of Mexico? Were they just floating there, is this the new evolutionary stage of Box Jellyfish?
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •