Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64

Thread: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    NexGen Energy Partners - About Us

    For wind installations, you need at least one quarter acre of land with a good “view” of the prevailing winds above 50 feet.
    What are you farming 50 feet in the air?

    The blades come nowhere near the ground, the bases are maybe 10 feet in diameter.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  2. #42
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Problem is there are no solutions. Wind will never replace fossil electricity Ethanol is a joke. What solutiond will make a difference?
    Why can't wind replace fossil electricity?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    What are you farming 50 feet in the air?

    The blades come nowhere near the ground, the bases are maybe 10 feet in diameter.
    The reason for need more land is because we don't run most electric lines under ground and you need other infrastructure to support the production of wind energy.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    What are you farming 50 feet in the air?

    The blades come nowhere near the ground, the bases are maybe 10 feet in diameter.
    The base takes up one quarter acre of land. What do you not understand. I even showed a link from an energy company that said this

  4. #44
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,810

    Re: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

    Coal plants closing: Why coal plants closing means higher electricity prices - chicagotribune.com

    Do you really think 60% increases in cost are worth it?

    The problem is that wind alone cant do the job. It is a supplement to Coal, Natural Gas and Oil, and if it were to develop on its own to be as economically feasible as possible it could possibly become dominant. But that isnt whats happening. Wind is heavily subsidized---coal, natural gas and oil are heavily taxed to pay for it and the feasibility of wind in terms of a constant power stream could be better but there is no reason for them to improve because their competition is being crushed by regulation and taxes.

    Let wind prove itself and it will win. Prop it up and everyone loses except the Wind lobbyists.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Why can't wind replace fossil electricity?



    The reason for need more land is because we don't run most electric lines under ground and you need other infrastructure to support the production of wind energy.

    Wind is not constant and if we put up that many windmills their will be no land to farm. They also kill birds and it is believed may cause health problems for humans.

    Wind turbines are not efficient and very costly

    Pros and Cons of Wind Power

  6. #46
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

    furthermore, as i understand it, they still require coal plants to be built nearby in order to make up their shortfall.

  7. #47
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Obama and the EPA show that do not care how much they hurt financially strapped citizens. This will put even a bigger burden on the already struggling unemployed

    AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs - The Hill's E2-Wire

    Utility giant American Electric Power said Thursday that it will shut down five coal-fired power plants and spend billions of dollars to comply with a series of pending Environmental Protection Agency regulations.

    The companyís dramatic plan to comply with the regulations could give Republicans and moderate Democrats ammunition in their ongoing fight against EPA's efforts to impose new regulations aimed at limiting greenhouse gas emissions and air pollutants including mercury and arsenic.
    Yes, these new regulations will force a transition. Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

    So let me ask you people that are glad to see the coal plants shut down a question. If the global warming theory didnít exist would you be pro coal? Would you say mine baby mine, we need and want coal or would you find some other reason to be anti-coal? Ask yourselves this question and try to give an honest answer, if not to me at least to yourselves.

  9. #49
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    So let me ask you people that are glad to see the coal plants shut down a question. If the global warming theory didn’t exist would you be pro coal? Would you say mine baby mine, we need and want coal or would you find some other reason to be anti-coal? Ask yourselves this question and try to give an honest answer, if not to me at least to yourselves.
    Even if global warming/climate theory change proves to be wrong, the human health cost are real.

  10. #50
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: AEP says it will close five coal plants to comply with EPA regs

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    So let me ask you people that are glad to see the coal plants shut down a question. If the global warming theory didn’t exist would you be pro coal? Would you say mine baby mine, we need and want coal or would you find some other reason to be anti-coal? Ask yourselves this question and try to give an honest answer, if not to me at least to yourselves.
    No. If global warming did not exist coal would still be bad. It's responsible for increases in mercury, particulates, uranium, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and more, all really bad for us and the ecosystem.

    Coal sucks.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •