Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 203

Thread: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

  1. #171
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    About half of the population, doesn't pay income tax. GE didn't pay taxes. Tons of organizations, business, individuals -- are tax exempt.
    But he said people who don't pay taxes, not people who don't pay income taxes. And since when did companies and organizations vote?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #172
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    1. Because it is a ridiculous hassle and if they are going to college and living in that district they should be able to vote there. There is absolutely no justification for that. That's using the same exact logic as "Well hey, the military uses absentees, so it's ok for me to use one too!"

    4. Don't need any. It's a well established fact that college students are for the most part democratic liberals.
    Why should they vote in a location where they are going to stay for 8 months a year for four years before moving on? Why can't they vote absentee??

    4. Really? When I went to UGA as a grad student, the College Republicans organization was much larger than the Young Democrats on campus, and there was definately a very conservative tinge to the student body on campus...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #173
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Dont be ridiculous. How else is someone on active duty going to vote? Justify making college students use absentees.
    1) I have done it numerous times, and I survived the "struggle"

    2) I have done it numerous times, and I survived the "struggle"

    3) I have done it numerous times, and I survived the "struggle"

    4) I have done it numerous times, and I survived the "struggle"
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #174
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Again for the 100th time, you can argue it's not too much of a struggle, but the point is, this is a blatant attempt by the GOP to try to stifle young voters.

  5. #175
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I guess the Founders skipped civics, too?
    if they did take a Civics class - it was based on British law over the colonies in the mid 1700's. A tiny bit has changed since them.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan
    1. Because it is a ridiculous hassle and if they are going to college and living in that district they should be able to vote there. There is absolutely no justification for that. That's using the same exact logic as "Well hey, the military uses absentees, so it's ok for me to use one too!"

    4. Don't need any. It's a well established fact that college students are for the most part democratic liberals.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Why should they vote in a location where they are going to stay for 8 months a year for four years before moving on? Why can't they vote absentee??

    4. Really? When I went to UGA as a grad student, the College Republicans organization was much larger than the Young Democrats on campus, and there was definately a very conservative tinge to the student body on campus...
    Lies! You're trying to perpetuate a vast right wing conspiracy!
    (sarcasm)

  7. #177
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Again for the 100th time, you can argue it's not too much of a struggle, but the point is, this is a blatant attempt by the GOP to try to stifle young voters.
    No it's not. Many students are not residents of the state and/or district currently leaving. It's not hard to request an absentee ballot and fill it out, and put it out into mail.

    Young voters stifle themselves more often than the "system" stifles them.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 06-15-11 at 02:29 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #178
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    No it's not. Many students are not residents of the state and/or district currently leaving. It's not hard to request an absentee ballot and fill it out, and put it out into mail.

    Young voters stifle themselves more often than the "system" stifles them.
    but then you acknowledge this imposes a hurdle which does not presently exist for that segment of our electorate
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #179
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    but then you acknowledge this imposes a hurdle which does not presently exist for that segment of our electorate
    I do not see it as a hurdle. I see it as self-induced laziness or indifference.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    but then you acknowledge this imposes a hurdle which does not presently exist for that segment of our electorate
    you must have missed the posts where I used Gargantuan's own source to show that the vast majority of college students already use absentee ballots and have no difficulty getting or using them.

    If they don't think it's difficult... why do you?

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •