Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 203

Thread: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

  1. #141
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Tell ya what libs. A compromise. When someone dies in Illinois, we'll bury them with 1000 absentee ballots, so that they will never run out. Deal ?
    The only thing wrong with that, is they'll have to be digging up the body every 6 months to get another absentee ballot to turn in.

  2. #142
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Do they pay a light bill, property taxes, water bill while they're living on campus? No? There's your justification. They're not permanent residents of that voting district.
    Does an 18 year old living in his mom's house pay any of that either? No. That's a poor argument. These kids are residents of the college and that zip code. They deserve to be able to vote there. A perfect example is my home district (I now live in NYC) NY's 1st congressional. Tim Bishop, the rep out there lost by barely a few hundred votes and he won thanks to college students because of his undying efforts to make college affordable for them. They were able to vote at places like Stony Brook right there at a polling place. He is a democrat. If these efforts succeeded, he probably wouldn't have been able to win.

  3. #143
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Does an 18 year old living in his mom's house pay any of that either? No. That's a poor argument. These kids are residents of the college and that zip code. They deserve to be able to vote there. A perfect example is my home district (I now live in NYC) NY's 1st congressional.
    Is that his home of record, or is he just crashing there while he's in college?

    Tim Bishop, the rep out there lost by barely a few hundred votes and he won thanks to college students because of his undying efforts to make college affordable for them. They were able to vote at places like Stony Brook right there at a polling place. Perfect, perfect example.
    Yeah. A perfect example of how an election got rigged.

  4. #144
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Rigged? Really? More like tireless campaigning by Bishop by getting his base, college students, to vote legally and fairly at their universities. He even had President Clinton go to SBU and had a huge rally there. It's a perfect example of why the GOP is trying to do this in many states.

    It shouldn't matter. When you go to college your address becomes wherever you are staying. You should be able to vote there and not have to go through the hassle of an absentee ballot. The military argument is ridiculous. The same justification can be made forcing everyone to use absentee ballots. The military uses it so we all should, right?

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The only thing wrong with that, is they'll have to be digging up the body every 6 months to get another absentee ballot to turn in.
    Actually, they will be getting 10-20 at a time.

  6. #146
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, poor people don't have skin in the game? I guess the next thing you're going to tell us, is that all poor people are on welfare.
    Where did I ever get the silly idea that people who don't own property and are on welfare are poor...

    Ok. Why don't you tell us who should and should not be able to vote. Other than those who are already not legally able to vote. So no illegal immigrants and no dead people (OK, Eighty Deuce. I'm not advocating letting the dead vote. Where you got that idea, I'll never know.). Who else?

  7. #147
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Dont be ridiculous. How else is someone on active duty going to vote? Justify making college students use absentees.
    They can vote "on base"

    Can you tell me the difference between being able to vote on base and vote on campus?

    Edit: Not everyone on active duty is deployed.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Bull ****ing ****. You know damn well college students are predominately democrats. I don't need to give you a citation on that.

    There is no credibility lost there. WHY ARE THEY MAKING COLLEGE STUDENTS USE ABSENTEES - BECAUSE IT MAKES IT HARDER FOR THEM TO VOTE AND MORE OF A HASSLE. That is the reason. Plain and simple. Don't be an idiot. What if they told you that you had to use absentee ballots? What would you say then? Oh the military has to also so I am ok with it? What if they took away early/day of registration froo YOU? Is that ok also? Everyone knows college students, especially 18 year old freshmen/sophomores, tend to be a little irresponsible and probably haven't registered yet. No reason to take away their early registration.

    If you really want a link here: Young Americans Are Leaning Left, New Poll Finds - NYTimes.com

    But you know you are just attempting to discredit me with stupid points. Any idiot knows that youth vote liberal.
    was this addressed to me?

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    If you really want a link here: Young Americans Are Leaning Left, New Poll Finds - NYTimes.com

    But you know you are just attempting to discredit me with stupid points. Any idiot knows that youth vote liberal.
    Interesting> The link you offered as proof that the majority of college students are Democrats... doesn't even mention college. Not once.

    Care to try again?

  10. #150
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: DNC Chair: GOP wants to "Drag Us Back To Jim Crow Laws"

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    was this addressed to me?
    Don't think so.

    Caine, the point is the GOP is restricting college students from voting on campus. Equating that to the military is absolutely ridiculous and totally unwarranted. Look at the election of Tim Bishop to the 1st congressional (NY) in 2002 and his election in 2010. Both of them were won with a few thousand votes from college students.

    Whovian, 19-29 = college students. You are simply grasping at this point and you know it. Even Anne Coulter recognizes that youth tend to lean liberal.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •