Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 104

Thread: Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

  1. #1
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,373
    Blog Entries
    12

    Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

    To fix public schools, you have to control public schools.

    And there’s little control when teachers unions, with their self-serving agendas, question every cost-cutting proposal and reform on the table.

    That’s why so many state governments have taken swift action to limit the power of organized labor in public schools. Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, Idaho and Michigan were the first, and Tennessee added itself to the list on Wednesday.

    Tennessee lawmakers were careful to leave a few key items off the discussion table...

    Basically, lawmakers allowed the unions to keep their bark, but wisely took away their bite. And if school boards get tired of the barking, they will be allowed to close the windows, pull the shutters and go about their business.

    Democrats in the legislature, outnumbered in both chambers, have been fuming about the legislation.

    School boards are elected by the public to run public schools. Nobody elected the unions.

    http://biggovernment.com/kolson/2011...rgaining-dead/
    Hooray!
    Step by step, state by state... The ball of sobriety is rolling.
    Along the way we need to eliminate the DoE.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 06-06-11 at 04:29 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  2. #2
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

    Didn't they also tell teachers that they can't talk about homosexuals? Sounds like they're aiming for a system where teachers earn minimum wage and don't stray from the views of the extreme right-wing.


  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    Didn't they also tell teachers that they can't talk about homosexuals? Sounds like they're aiming for a system where teachers earn minimum wage and don't stray from the views of the extreme right-wing.
    Ya know what? We could do twice as well with half the money. All it takes it two things; cut out all the damn bureaucratic overhead and restore discipline to the schools.

    By restore discipline I mean put the teachers and the Principal back in charge of the students. Restore the authority of teachers to beat that ass as necessary. The ones who are past caring, past fixing and won't stop disrupting other's ability to learn... permanent expulsion and that without delay.

    You can't teach without order, without the teacher being in control of the classroom.

    Once upon a time we had a reasonable degree of order in school. We can do it again. It doesn't take money, just a little hard-headed common sense.
    Last edited by Goshin; 06-06-11 at 07:55 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #4
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

    good to see this passed. hopefully tennessee see's much benefit from it.

  5. #5
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Ya know what? We could do twice as well with half the money. All it takes it two things; cut out all the damn bureaucratic overhead and restore discipline to the schools.

    By restore discipline I mean put the teachers and the Principal back in charge of the students. Restore the authority of teachers to beat that ass as necessary. The ones who are past caring, past fixing and won't stop disrupting other's ability to learn... permanent expulsion and that without delay.

    You can't teach without order, without the teacher being in control of the classroom.

    Once upon a time we had a reasonable degree of order in school. We can do it again. It doesn't take money, just a little hard-headed common sense.
    Nice but completely impossible. Can't happen. Parents won't support it. Schools will be sued more than they are now. That will cost big bucks. Teachers are not cops and they aren't trained to be. What you are advocating may have worked well in the Soviet Union, but it wouldn't work even a little bit here and now. Not a chance of even being considered.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Nice but completely impossible. Can't happen. Parents won't support it. Schools will be sued more than they are now. That will cost big bucks. Teachers are not cops and they aren't trained to be. What you are advocating may have worked well in the Soviet Union, but it wouldn't work even a little bit here and now. Not a chance of even being considered.
    Soviet Union? I'm talking about how things were in schools when I was a kid.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #7
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Soviet Union? I'm talking about how things were in schools when I was a kid.
    Sounds as if you and I went to the same school. I can tell you for a fact that the school had the parents behind them. Whenever I got in trouble at school and be sent to the office the Vice Principal would raise hell, tell me I was going to get swats and asking me if I had anything to say. The only thing I ever had to say was, "Are you going to call my dad?" They could have beaten me senseless and pushed me down a flight of stairs and I'd be fine as long as my father didn't have to know about it. It was that way for every kid in school. Times have changed, my man. Now parents go to school with lawyers and raise hell with the school because they had to take time off from work.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  8. #8
    Educator DemonMyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Last Seen
    02-11-13 @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    727

    Re: Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Nice but completely impossible. Can't happen. Parents won't support it.
    If parents want to send their kids to public schools.. They will support it.. Otherwise they can pay for private school.. Goshin is so correct!! Our children today have no discipline.. I remember the days of a big thick paddle hanging on the wall.. Having your hand smacked with a ruler.. Parent't aren't teaching their children discipline at home.. They need to learn it somewhere..

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Sounds as if you and I went to the same school. I can tell you for a fact that the school had the parents behind them. Whenever I got in trouble at school and be sent to the office the Vice Principal would raise hell, tell me I was going to get swats and asking me if I had anything to say. The only thing I ever had to say was, "Are you going to call my dad?" They could have beaten me senseless and pushed me down a flight of stairs and I'd be fine as long as my father didn't have to know about it. It was that way for every kid in school. Times have changed, my man. Now parents go to school with lawyers and raise hell with the school because they had to take time off from work.
    Yup, and that's half the reason we have all these school problems today, and it ain't getting better until somebody takes the matter in hand. Reinstate real discipline, make in mandatory, include legal protections. Don't like it? Send your kid to a private school that doesn't have it. That's what they tell those of us who disagree with any damn thing they want to teach in public schools today innit? "Don't like it, send your kid to private school."

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #10
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Tennessee Trumps Wiconsin: Kills Teacher Collective Bargaining. Dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    If parents want to send their kids to public schools.. They will support it.. Otherwise they can pay for private school.. Goshin is so correct!! Our children today have no discipline.. I remember the days of a big thick paddle hanging on the wall.. Having your hand smacked with a ruler.. Parent't aren't teaching their children discipline at home.. They need to learn it somewhere..
    Sure I agree, we need discipline in schools. Public means all kids in legally in the district have a right to a free public education. That is the law. I'm not disagreeing with your position, but I am saying that most parents don't support it now. School systems would be buried under law suits. The legal budget for each school district would be massive. Further, teachers are not cops.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •