Page 62 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 1225

Thread: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

  1. #611
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And some historians say she is incorrect. People on both sides of this are cherry picking historians. It's hilarious.
    They are, the point is she wasn't 100% wrong. Revere did ride out warning people of the British, they did ring bells to alert the people and such. But she's not 100% right either. It was not the intended purpose of Revere's ride to warn the British as she claimed. Rather he was captured by the British where in he tried to discourage them from going to Lexington or Concord. In the end, from the context of her statements, it seemed like she was trying to draw analogies to our current 2nd amendment and the necessity of the People to keep arms. I'm not disagreeing that the 2nd is very important and that one of the reasons for it being there are to allow the People to fight tyranny and treason even if it comes at the hands of the government. But there was no real 2nd amendment issue with Revere and what he was doing. Nor was it Revere's cause to warn the British at all.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #612
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Okay, then. Let's go to Stephen Colbert's video which proves you can't load a musket while riding a horse.

    Colbert Reenacts Revere's Famous Ride To Prove Palin Right (VIDEO) | TPM LiveWire

  3. #613
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They are, the point is she wasn't 100% wrong. Revere did ride out warning people of the British, they did ring bells to alert the people and such. But she's not 100% right either. It was not the intended purpose of Revere's ride to warn the British as she claimed. Rather he was captured by the British where in he tried to discourage them from going to Lexington or Concord. In the end, from the context of her statements, it seemed like she was trying to draw analogies to our current 2nd amendment and the necessity of the People to keep arms. I'm not disagreeing that the 2nd is very important and that one of the reasons for it being there are to allow the People to fight tyranny and treason even if it comes at the hands of the government. But there was no real 2nd amendment issue with Revere and what he was doing. Nor was it Revere's cause to warn the British at all.
    He didn't do the bells or guns either. So once you add what you just said to the "no bells or guns" bit - she wasn't right. Period. If she'd had to say "Paul Revere" in her statement, she probably would have flubbed that as well.

  4. #614
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    You know, no one ever answered my question. Did Palin ever actually mention the 2nd amendment, or was that something the detractors 'assumed' she was referring to.

  5. #615
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They are, the point is she wasn't 100% wrong. Revere did ride out warning people of the British, they did ring bells to alert the people and such. But she's not 100% right either. It was not the intended purpose of Revere's ride to warn the British as she claimed. Rather he was captured by the British where in he tried to discourage them from going to Lexington or Concord. In the end, from the context of her statements, it seemed like she was trying to draw analogies to our current 2nd amendment and the necessity of the People to keep arms. I'm not disagreeing that the 2nd is very important and that one of the reasons for it being there are to allow the People to fight tyranny and treason even if it comes at the hands of the government. But there was no real 2nd amendment issue with Revere and what he was doing. Nor was it Revere's cause to warn the British at all.
    Revere did not do the bells either, trying to avoid capture. That's the thing. She is not 100 % wrong. She is not 100 % right. And it's not at all important, since the worst she did was mangle her words some and be a little ignorant of history that most people don't know either. And yet this thread is over 600 posts...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #616
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Revere did not do the bells either, trying to avoid capture. That's the thing. She is not 100 % wrong. She is not 100 % right. And it's not at all important, since the worst she did was mangle her words some and be a little ignorant of history that most people don't know either. And yet this thread is over 600 posts...
    shhhhhhhh... the 1,000th poster in this thread gets a toaster.

  7. #617
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    shhhhhhhh... the 1,000th poster in this thread gets a toaster.
    I'm only interested if it imprints a silhouette of Paul Revere on his horse.

  8. #618
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    I kinda do need a new toaster ....

  9. #619
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Revere did not do the bells either, trying to avoid capture. That's the thing. She is not 100 % wrong. She is not 100 % right. And it's not at all important, since the worst she did was mangle her words some and be a little ignorant of history that most people don't know either. And yet this thread is over 600 posts...
    Her instance that she was absolutely right is her undoing. If she had gone on in the Fox news interview and said "Well there is a little bit more to what happened that night....." she would have been fine. But far be it from her to humble herself to that of a lowly mortal.

  10. #620
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Sorry... been searching for days, and I still can't find where anyone but Palin's detractors mentioned the 2nd amendment in regards to her Paul Revere comments.

    Am I missing a quote of hers or something?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •