Page 39 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 1225

Thread: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

  1. #381
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    I think technically he's right.

    Paul Revere's ride was April 18, 1775.

    The Battles of Lexington and Concord were the first military engagements of the American Revolutionary War, and they were fought on April 19, 1775... the next day.
    Not technically...really. It came as somewhat of a surprise to everyone that a shootin' war was fixing to start.

    On the evening of the 19th, both parties were like, "mother****er! this is for real".

  2. #382
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,527

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You realize that the war didn't actually begin until 19 April. Yes?

    It wasn't a, "time of war".

    The British weren't, "attacking, invading, assaulting, etc.".

    Yes, I'm from America and I've very knowledgable in American history, especially military history. Your premise, is wrong.
    Sorry, you're argument doesn't fly. That's a very poor attempt to side-step what was indeed the fact that The British military engaged colonist, which was considered an act of war.

    Please drop the ploy to use a very minor technicality in point. Just because the declaration wasn't formal for another 11 days...the fight was on.

    It was an act of war so much so that it was called:

    American Revolution

    Battle of Lexington and Concord (April 8, 1775)

    Massachusetts had been preparing for war with England and this included training troops and stockpiling weapons and ammunition at Concord. When the British found out about this, he ordered troops to seize these supplies before Americans could use them against the English Army. As the British began to move their troops, the Americans found out that the British planned on destroying the weapons as Concord. The famous "Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" was the warning that Bostonians sent to Concord. In fact, Paul Revere never actually completed his ride as he was captured before arriving at Concord. His cousin William Dawes actually completed the ride and gave the warning.

    By the next morning, the Americans had managed to gather together 70 "Minutemen" (soldiers who could be ready on a moment's notice) at Lexington (roughly halfway between Boston and Concord) where they were to face off against 700 trained British soldiers. Clearly, the odds were against the Americans. When the British arrived at Lexington, they ordered the Americans to step aside and cease any resistence. No-one knows who actually fired the first shot, but when the shooting began the British struck down 18 Americans (8 killed) and moved on towards Concord as the Americans fled.

    At this point, the Battle of Lexington and Concord turned to the Americans advantage. Throughout the countryside, Americans sprang to action and began to use guerrilla tactics against the British Army as it traveled in a straight line towards Concord. The British were using tactics that had worked well in Europe. In these battles, soldiers wore bright, distinctive uniforms to make them clearly identifiable by their commanders. They would march in straight line formations and maintained a regular, steady fire at an opponent. However, these tactics did not work in America.
    The highlighted in the quote above...generally happens when there are opposing factions who are armed. It makes war or battle go a hell of a lot smoother if one side can confiscate the other side's weapons.

    Palin is a very ignorant person. She has repeated shown herself to be. The above event HAD NOTHING to do with the 2nd Amendment and to even imply that is beyond ignorant.

  3. #383
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Sorry, you're argument doesn't fly. That's a very poor attempt to side-step what was indeed the fact that The British military engaged colonist, which was considered an act of war.

    Please drop the ploy to use a very minor technicality in point. Just because the declaration wasn't formal for another 11 days...the fight was on.

    It was an act of war so much so that it was called:

    [U]American Revolution


    The highlighted in the quote above...generally happens when there are opposing factions who are armed. It makes war or battle go a hell of a lot smoother if one side can confiscate the other side's weapons.

    Palin is a very ignorant person. She has repeated shown herself to be. The above event HAD NOTHING to do with the 2nd Amendment and to even imply that is beyond ignorant.
    You need to seriously check your source. The battle of Lexington and Concord didn't take place until 19 April. The British landed on the evening of 18 April.

    You can't call Palin ignorant, if you claim that Lexington and Concord was fought on 8 April.

  4. #384
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    It was an act of war so much so that it was called:

    [U]American Revolution
    Battle of Lexington and Concord (April 8, 1775)
    I think your source is incorrect on the date of the Lexington and Concord battle.

    The Battle of Concord Lexington
    Date: 19th April 1775
    Battle of Concord
    War for Independence, April 19, 1775
    Lexington and Concord
    First shots fired between American and British troops, on April 19, 1775.
    Department of Military Science - Battle of Lexington and Concord
    At midnight on the 19th of April the British column, consisting of 650-900 troops left Boston, crossed the Charles River, followed closely by the alarm rider Paul Revere. As the British marched towards Concord, the entire countryside had been alerted to their presence, and rebel militia was deployed to meet them.
    The American Revolution - (The Battles of Lexington and Concord )
    Wednesday, April 19, 1775
    I think your source meant 18th, not 8th... which would still be incorrect.

  5. #385
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,527

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You need to seriously check your source. The battle of Lexington and Concord didn't take place until 19 April. The British landed on the evening of 18 April.

    You can't call Palin ignorant, if you claim that Lexington and Concord was fought on 8 April.
    LEXINGTON AND CONCORD, BATTLES OF. On the evening of 18 April 1775 the British military governor of Massachusetts sent out from Boston a detachment of about 700 regular troops to destroy military stores collected by the colonists at Concord. Detecting the plan, the Whigs in Boston sent out Paul Revere and William Dawes with warnings.
    Typo, Dude...typo. April 18 minus the one..."thus the typo...April 8th.

    If you want a source that doesn't contain a typo....

    http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/ba...d_Concord.aspx


    You're using obvious semantics to make your point...and its just not working.
    Last edited by Removable Mind; 06-07-11 at 07:00 PM.

  6. #386
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Was he ringing bells and shooting off guns?
    both of those were traditional methods to call up the militia; it wouldn't surprise me in the least, though I couldn't say one way or the other off the top of my head. I admit, I don't know as much about the ride as Sara Palin apparently does - I had no idea he'd been captured until this controversy.

  7. #387
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    The highlighted in the quote above...generally happens when there are opposing factions who are armed. It makes war or battle go a hell of a lot smoother if one side can confiscate the other side's weapons.

    Palin is a very ignorant person. She has repeated shown herself to be. The above event HAD NOTHING to do with the 2nd Amendment and to even imply that is beyond ignorant.
    your two points do not follow. in particular it is very common for both sides to arm and inrease their defenses when conflict seems iminent.

    Palin is absolutely right that the spark that lit the fire was the British attempt to sieze civilian owned weaponry. methinks you are buying into the hackery.

  8. #388
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Typo, Dude...typo. April 18 minus the one..."thus the typo...April 8th.

    If you want a source that doesn't contain a typo....

    battles of Lexington and Concord Facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about battles of Lexington and Concord


    You're using obvious semantics to make your point...and its just not working.
    Ok, I'll buy the typo. But, you're still wrong. L&C didn't go down until the 19th. Before you proclaim soneone else's ignorance, make sure you get your dates right.

  9. #389
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok, I'll buy the typo. But, you're still wrong. L&C didn't go down until the 19th. Before you proclaim soneone else's ignorance, make sure you get your dates right.
    he must have removed that concept from his mind.

  10. #390
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,527

    Re: Sarah Palin: Paul Revere's Ride to Protect the Second Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok, I'll buy the typo. But, you're still wrong. L&C didn't go down until the 19th. Before you proclaim soneone else's ignorance, make sure you get your dates right.
    Again...semantics. What a difference a day makes. Just 24 little hours. The Paul Revere, William Dawes ride was on the eve on April 18th...just hours away from being April 19th.

    Then...

    At sunrise on 19 April, the detachment found a part of the minuteman company already assembled on the Lexington green. At the command of British Major John Pitcairn, the regulars fired and cleared the ground. Eight Americans were killed and 10 were wounded. The regulars marched for Concord after a short delay.
    The facts are the facts. Everything was in motion. The last source I posted with the CORRECT DATE...clearly said exactly what happened. The Brits wanted to confiscate the weapons that Mass had stockpile...while waiting for the Brits to hit.

    That event had no relationship to the 2nd Amendment motive. Palin's assessment of the night Paul Revere did his ride...and the reason for it...bull****, total bullsh**. And you know it.

    And, BTW...I'm not claiming that L&C went down on the 19th. That's not at all the point of the BS that Palin tried to lay on everybody.

    If would really help if you got honest about what Palin said vs the facts.

Page 39 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •