Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 109

Thread: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

  1. #91
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I would begin by eliminating the budget for all executive branch, federal jobs created after January 1, 2009. Let the departments decide whether or not to fire the people or reduce salaries. Then I would identify the department that has created the greatest number of new rules/regulations since January 1, 2009. I would repeal every rule by that department, abolish the department and sell the buildings.
    Your use of January 2009 sounds like pure partisan BS. "I hate the current Executive, therefore get rid of everything he did." Government and deficits were both growing long before Obama made it to the Illinois state legislature. It's not as cut and dried as "Take things back to the levels under Bush." Are you telling me that government was a perfect size under Bush?

    Why stop with the executive branch? Why not roll back the Congressional pay raises that Republicans voted in for themselves during the Bush years? Why not cut Congressional staff? We could cut out the last 4 Supreme Court Justices. What about their clerks?

    And I think the biggest growth in department size in the last decade is probably Homeland Security, which didn't even exist in 1999.
    Last edited by rocket88; 06-05-11 at 03:57 PM.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Nice quip, but I think you are smarter than that.
    It is a fact

    It's official: U.S. in a recession since December 2007 - Dec. 1, 2008

    The National Bureau of Economic Research said Monday that the U.S. has been in a recession since December 2007, making official what most Americans have already believed about the state of the economy .

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Explain how that came to be...please. In Feb 2008, Bush asked Congress for 164 billion stimulus money. And also I recall, in (ooops, not Aug, but rather) Oct 2008, Bush asked Congress for over 700 billion for TARP (a month before the Nov election for president). I guess that wasn't an indicator of things to come in the near future.

    It's impossible to draw a line in the political sand. It is a revolving door for cause and effect of which all political flavors share. They avoid admitting to that responsibility, but they can't ignore the facts. I hope that you don't either.
    Dems took over majority with the 2006 elections

  4. #94
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    It is a fact

    It's official: U.S. in a recession since December 2007 - Dec. 1, 2008

    The National Bureau of Economic Research said Monday that the U.S. has been in a recession since December 2007, making official what most Americans have already believed about the state of the economy .
    So what is the date of the article you posted Ptif?

    That is right Dec 1, 2008. A 2 and half year old article stating the US is in a recession that started during the Bush admin

    Perhaps looking for a new article would be something to do (one that states the US is not in a recession right now

    Unemployment 9.1% for May 2011 - Only 54,000 Jobs! | The Economic Populist

    Like this one
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    So what is the date of the article you posted Ptif?

    That is right Dec 1, 2008. A 2 and half year old article stating the US is in a recession that started during the Bush admin

    Perhaps looking for a new article would be something to do (one that states the US is not in a recession right now

    Unemployment 9.1% for May 2011 - Only 54,000 Jobs! | The Economic Populist

    Like this one
    As I said it started after the democrats took back the majority in congress

  6. #96
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    The recession started after the dems took back the majority in congress
    If you are equating the two than you know nothing about economics.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    If you are equating the two than you know nothing about economics.
    I know all that is wrong is Bush's fault and the democrats had nothing to do with it

  8. #98
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    I know all that is wrong is Bush's fault and the democrats had nothing to do with it
    The economic problems we are facing today started, in earnest (procurers existed before), in the mid 90s. Study some more economics please.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Your use of January 2009 sounds like pure partisan BS. "I hate the current Executive, therefore get rid of everything he did."
    It is appealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Government and deficits were both growing long before Obama made it to the Illinois state legislature. It's not as cut and dried as "Take things back to the levels under Bush." Are you telling me that government was a perfect size under Bush?
    Of course not. Going back to Jan 1, 2009 was for convenience. The one term president Obama increased the federal government's size by how much? 10%? 12%? So let's use that as the starting point. Then let's eliminate whole departments prioritized by the amount of historical harm they have done to the economy. EPA is probably a very good start. Education may be tied for first place depending on how harm is assessed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Why stop with the executive branch?
    Why indeed?
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Why not roll back the Congressional pay raises that Republicans voted in for themselves during the Bush years? Why not cut Congressional staff?
    Sounds perfect.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    And I think the biggest growth in department size in the last decade is probably Homeland Security, which didn't even exist in 1999.
    I love your suggestions. Let's do them one at a time.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Palin dismisses Geithner warnings about debt ceiling

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Fine, but why stop? Government was already huge before Obama. You said yourself that Bush was not Conservative, but you're not proposing to get rid of any growth in government that took place before Obama.

    Contrary to the GOP rhetoric, government growth and deficit spending were not phenomena invented by Obama.
    I am for it.
    So we could return to the US Constitution with its enumerated powers. Anything not enumerated has to go. Let's do them one at a time. Each quarter let's eliminate the extra-constitutional departments, repeal their rules and regulations, fire their employees, and sell the buildings.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •