Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 415

Thread: The results are in on social security

  1. #151
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    06-16-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42

    Re: The results are in on social security

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    I think it funny you put me in the same category as repubs. I support social welfare programs and a livable wage, just like Hayek.

    SS is simply just useless. There isn't any reason why a private company cannot do the something thing that the government fails to do...
    Besides the fact that they won't. They're profit driven, and would inevitably find a way to screw the little people so long as it increased their revenues and they can get away with it in Capitalist America, where Big Business Knows Best!

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher
    401ks follow you even when you aren't employed. Most of the middle class that lost their jobs have almost completely exhausted, if not exhausted, their entire life savings while looking for work. The problem with SS tax is that the government has done the same thing, and will do it again even if it was illegal.
    This is fairly true, sadly enough. However, turning to Big Business is not the answer. Reformation (not reduction) is the answer.
    Last edited by ItsAProcess; 06-15-11 at 11:49 PM.

  2. #152
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: The results are in on social security

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAProcess View Post
    Besides the fact that they won't. They're profit driven, and would inevitably find a way to screw the little people so long as it increased their revenues and they can get away with it in Capitalist America, where Big Business Knows Best!



    This is fairly true, sadly enough. However, turning to Big Business is not the answer. Reformation (not reduction) is the answer.
    The point is, if the rule of law persisted, then the big banks screwing the little guy would be forced to pony up the dough and then some for participating in fraud.

  3. #153
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    06-16-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42

    Re: The results are in on social security

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    The point is, if the rule of law persisted, then the big banks screwing the little guy would be forced to pony up the dough and then some for participating in fraud.
    Since when does that happen, in Capitalist America?

    Big Business doesn't have to follow such plebian things as laws. They're above such concerns that are meant for the "little people". Methinks someone is far, faaar too much of an optimist about Big Banks and Big Business.

  4. #154
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: The results are in on social security

    quote xpiher

    SS is simply just useless.
    Its been working quite well since 1935 just needs a tweaking to get it on track for another seventy five years.



    There isn't any reason why a private company cannot do the something thing that the government fails to do, prevent people from taking the money out.
    SURE …hand it off to Goldman Sachs, thata take care of it.


    You can easily have a contract with a bank that x amount of dollars will be taken from your check and put into a fund that is inaccessible, by anyone, until you are age 65.
    Ole Gawd spare me the strawman.


    Unlike the gov, you could sue the bank to get the money should it "vanish"
    Eh…what caused the financial crises that were pulling out of now?… Sherlock, I think it were the banks. Thank you mister Watson.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  5. #155
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: The results are in on social security

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Its been working quite well since 1935 just needs a tweaking to get it on track for another seventy five years.





    SURE …hand it off to Goldman Sachs, thata take care of it.




    Ole Gawd spare me the strawman.




    Eh…what caused the financial crises that were pulling out of now?… Sherlock, I think it were the banks. Thank you mister Watson.
    You need to study more economics. Banks acted with in the confines of the laws and were in fact encouraged to make bad deals by the fed and the government. If the bank is actually forced to follow contracts, then those who made millions off of fraud would lose millions in order to compensate loss. Also, America hasn't be a capitalistic country for some time.

  6. #156
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: The results are in on social security

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Banks acted with in the confines of the laws and were in fact encouraged to make bad deals by the fed and the government. If the bank is actually forced to follow contracts, then those who made millions off of fraud would lose millions in order to compensate loss. .
    Were talking about Social Security, not the strawman that you want to talk about. The banks.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  7. #157
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: The results are in on social security

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Were talking about Social Security, not the strawman that you want to talk about. The banks.
    Its not a straw man. You, or someone else, said that SS should stay because people would have any savings left after an economic crisis. Through contracts, the banks could be legally obligated to actually hold the funds just like the government is; however, unlike with the government, you would actually be able to get your money back should the bank spend it.

  8. #158
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: The results are in on social security

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Its not a straw man. You, or someone else, said that SS should stay because people would have any savings left after an economic crisis. Through contracts, the banks could be legally obligated to actually hold the funds just like the government is; however, unlike with the government, you would actually be able to get your money back should the bank spend it.
    Why screw with the banks when the Social Security trust fund is owed the money from the United States Government, plus interest.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: The results are in on social security

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Why screw with the banks when the Social Security trust fund is owed the money from the United States Government, plus interest.
    Because there is no there, there.
    With SS you do not own an asset. The Congress giveth. The Congress taketh away.
    The money was frittered away to build monuments to Senator Byrd in West Virginia.

  10. #160
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: The results are in on social security

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Because there is no there, there.
    With SS you do not own an asset. The Congress giveth. The Congress taketh away.
    The money was frittered away to build monuments to Senator Byrd in West Virginia.


    Then in your world it’s ok to stiff China for the load of dough that they loaned us for our wars?
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •