Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

  1. #1
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

    after Senator Reid's Comments about how it would be "foolish" for Democrats to put up a budget (as it would force them to defend something rather than just attack Republicans), the President's apparent willingness to put aside compromise in order to kick off the 2012 election cycle, and Nancy Pelosi's declaration that even the Bi-Partisan Simpson-Bowles Commission plan was "Dead on Arrival"; can we really be surprised at one more indication that Democratic leadership doesn't really take the fiscal future of this nation seriously?


    Vice President Biden is being touted as the White House point man on the budget, leading the discussions with Congress as our nation’s leaders try to come up with a plan to slash the deficit and avoid defaulting on the debt.

    With Congress back in town following the Memorial Day recess, bargainers are set to stream back to the table, roll up their sleeves, and start hashing through the numbers. Biden will be leading the charge.

    Wait a second. No he won’t. It’s back to foreign policy for the vice president. This just in from the White House:

    Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden have departed en route Rome, Italy, to lead the Presidential Delegation to the Celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Unification of Italy on Thursday, June 2.


    Though the Treasury Department has already begun taking extraordinary measures to avoid default, budget talks can wait apparently for unification of Italy celebrations to end....

    Biden and his wife won’t be back until Saturday.
    Last edited by cpwill; 05-31-11 at 06:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,289
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

    Because it is so much better to push a bill with no chance to pass, that is what fiscal responsibility is all about. Your one sided view of everything is hilarious and sad at the same time.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

    Meh, he's the VP. All he has to do is cast the tie winning vote in the Senate and wait for the President to become incapacitated.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Because it is so much better to push a bill with no chance to pass, that is what fiscal responsibility is all about. Your one sided view of everything is hilarious and sad at the same time.
    my one sided view? my one sided view is that Democrats are the ones screaming about how if we don't raise the debt limit as soon as possible the earth will break, the kraken will be released, and we will all be ripped from our bodies - our souls cast out into darkness to wander in pain and torment for a millennia - yet apparently it's still not worth skipping vacation and party-time in Italy.

    okay, slight hyperbole. but it is hardly a "one sided view" to note that the only ones putting forth plans, ideas, or solutions are Republicans, and that Democrats seem to be simultaneously screaming that "something" has to be done about raising the debt ceiling.... while apparently unwilling to actually, you know, "do" that "something", "whatever it is".

    my one-sidedness? what is sad is that anyone would defend this kind of irresponsibility.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    after Senator Reid's Comments about how it would be "foolish" for Democrats to put up a budget (as it would force them to defend something rather than just attack Republicans), the President's apparent willingness to put aside compromise in order to kick off the 2012 election cycle, and Nancy Pelosi's declaration that even the Bi-Partisan Simpson-Bowles Commission plan was "Dead on Arrival"; can we really be surprised at one more indication that Democratic leadership doesn't really take the fiscal future of this nation seriously?
    Wasn't Biden supposed to be working on the deficit limit. What has a higher priority than that.

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    my one sided view? my one sided view is that Democrats are the ones screaming about how if we don't raise the debt limit as soon as possible the earth will break, the kraken will be released, and we will all be ripped from our bodies - our souls cast out into darkness to wander in pain and torment for a millennia - yet apparently it's still not worth skipping vacation and party-time in Italy.

    okay, slight hyperbole. but it is hardly a "one sided view" to note that the only ones putting forth plans, ideas, or solutions are Republicans, and that Democrats seem to be simultaneously screaming that "something" has to be done about raising the debt ceiling.... while apparently unwilling to actually, you know, "do" that "something", "whatever it is".

    my one-sidedness? what is sad is that anyone would defend this kind of irresponsibility.
    Actually everything you said it absolutely true. I saw this Democrat commercial.



    The Vulcans didn't raise their debt ceiling either.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #7
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Wasn't Biden supposed to be working on the deficit limit. What has a higher priority than that.
    apparently partying it up in Italy. he'll get around to the People's Business when he's ready, and we'll thank him for it when he does, too.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,289
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    my one sided view? my one sided view is that Democrats are the ones screaming about how if we don't raise the debt limit as soon as possible the earth will break, the kraken will be released, and we will all be ripped from our bodies - our souls cast out into darkness to wander in pain and torment for a millennia - yet apparently it's still not worth skipping vacation and party-time in Italy.

    okay, slight hyperbole. but it is hardly a "one sided view" to note that the only ones putting forth plans, ideas, or solutions are Republicans, and that Democrats seem to be simultaneously screaming that "something" has to be done about raising the debt ceiling.... while apparently unwilling to actually, you know, "do" that "something", "whatever it is".

    my one-sidedness? what is sad is that anyone would defend this kind of irresponsibility.
    That "putting forth a plan" was putting forth something so they could say "see, we tried but democrats wouldn't pass it". That plan was so extreme and over the top b ad that of course it failed. It was a PR stunt, and you bought into it. And that is not hyperbole.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That "putting forth a plan" was putting forth something so they could say "see, we tried but democrats wouldn't pass it". That plan was so extreme and over the top b ad that of course it failed. It was a PR stunt, and you bought into it. And that is not hyperbole.
    Oh come on, Redress. We're at that point now where we need a plan that's "over the top". We waited too many decades as it is.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #10
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: VP Biden AWOL on Deficit Talks

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That "putting forth a plan" was putting forth something so they could say "see, we tried but democrats wouldn't pass it". That plan was so extreme and over the top b ad that of course it failed. It was a PR stunt, and you bought into it. And that is not hyperbole.
    on the contrary - it passed the House and got 40 votes in the Senate. And was also deliberately sold as a way to get negotiations started. Then the President signaled that he was willing to put out a plan himself in order to start the negotiations between the two sides, and invited the lead Republicans to the speech in which he was going to do it in.... and then pulled a bait and switch and instead accused them of attacking autistic kids and people's grandmothers.

    the Ryan plan is indeed a serious plan. Even Obama said so - before he decided it was better politics to go on the assault.


    and you continue to ignore that at least the Republicans are putting something out there. what, you expect them to do the Democrats work for them? The Senate is now in it's second year of (illegally) refusing to pass a budget - Reid says it would be "foolish" for them to do so. Do you honestly defend that stance? that political advantage come before the fiscal good of the nation?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •