Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 104

Thread: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    What specific right am I trying to keep you from? Last I checked, there are plenty of things that people cannot do in a public place that are completely legal to do at home/in other places. Most public places do not allow you to drink, but it is legal to do at home/in other places. Most public places do not allow you to get naked and/or require that you have on a minimum amount of clothing, while you are completely able to get naked in private. Many public places do not allow you to have dangerous items or potentially dangerous items in the area, such as glass containers, needles, knives, etc. (depending on the place), but these things are all legal to own. Many public places do not allow a gun to be displayed, some do not allow a gun at all, while owning a gun is protected specifically by the Constitution. Riding a bike, scooter, skateboard, or being on skates except in certain designated areas is prohibited in many, many places, yet owning all these things and doing all these activities are legal.

    Just because it was done to other things it is alright?

  2. #42
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Just because it was done to other things it is alright?
    Some are, some aren't. Depends on what they are in place for and if they relate to protection of the public. Protection of the public is always going to be a gray-area issue because it involves the rights of one group of people (those who want to do an activity that could potentially affect others) vs. the rights of another group of people (those who would potentially be negatively affected by the other group's activity).

    Unfortunately, some of our actions do affect others, especially in public, and some people do not want to accept responsibility for those actions. That is why it is necessary to regulate some of those actions to ensure the safety of others. Very few people would argue that shooting a gun randomly in public without a specific threat should be outlawed, yet the action alone is not always going to lead to some innocent person being harmed.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #43
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Well, if you are stupid enough to smoke then well perhaps non-smokers ARE superior to you...
    What a snobby reply Just because somone smokes does not mean you are superior to them in any way. At. All.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  4. #44
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

    Smoking is legal and until it is not? I will keep smoking in public outside and will not visit places that do not allow smokers to smoke outside. Does not seem right as nobody OWNS the public streets or the AIR there!

    Tell me exactly where the hell is a visitor to NY suppose to smoke? You cannot do it outside in parks, in bars, hotels, etc? So where are the visitors suppose to legally smoke? They have no private home as they are there to visit dumbass!!!!
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  5. #45
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    What a snobby reply Just because somone smokes does not mean you are superior to them in any way. At. All.
    If you are stupid enough to take a cancer stick, put it in your mouth, and inhale... yes, we are...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #46
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Smoking is legal and until it is not? I will keep smoking in public outside and will not visit places that do not allow smokers to smoke outside. Does not seem right as nobody OWNS the public streets or the AIR there!

    Tell me exactly where the hell is a visitor to NY suppose to smoke? You cannot do it outside in parks, in bars, hotels, etc? So where are the visitors suppose to legally smoke? They have no private home as they are there to visit dumbass!!!!
    Too bad. Smokers have brought this upon themselves... Their arrogant attitude and not having respect for the rights of non-smokers have resulted in the majority of the people who does not smoke to act to protect their rights and the rights of their children. Perhaps you shouldn't smoke. It would be better for you in so many ways, anyway...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #47
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Smoking is legal and until it is not? I will keep smoking in public outside and will not visit places that do not allow smokers to smoke outside. Does not seem right as nobody OWNS the public streets or the AIR there!

    Tell me exactly where the hell is a visitor to NY suppose to smoke? You cannot do it outside in parks, in bars, hotels, etc? So where are the visitors suppose to legally smoke? They have no private home as they are there to visit dumbass!!!!
    Kali sweetie please don't smoke...it kills your lungs and your wallet.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #48
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Too bad. Smokers have brought this upon themselves... Their arrogant attitude and not having respect for the rights of non-smokers....
    So, basically, you say smokers brought it upon themselves based on taking the act of a certain % of smokers, and making a blanket generalization about everybody who smokes? And somehow that %'s actions mean there can be no compromise, and the smokers should be forced to endure absurd taxation, ridicule to the point of slander in some cases, and all sort of other nasties?

    I think people with that attitude brought it upon smokers if anything - often smokers want compromise to make it work - imperial evidence I have to support this is the reaction to the new smoking ban policy at the college I go to - where starting in the fall one can only smoke in his or her car, with the windows up. So far, a lot of the smokers, and *SOME* non-smoers [including myself] have been pushing for compromise, whereas a lot of the non-smokers are too stubborn to even look at compromise.
    Last edited by Travelsonic; 05-30-11 at 01:44 PM.
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  9. #49
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    So, basically, you say smokers brought it upon themselves based on taking the act of a certain % of smokers, and making a blanket generalization about everybody who smokes? And somehow that %'s actions mean there can be no compromise, and the smokers should be forced to endure absurd taxation, ridicule to the point of slander in some cases, and all sort of other nasties?

    I think people with that attitude brought it upon smokers if anything - often smokers want compromise to make it work - imperial evidence I have to support this is the reaction to the new smoking ban policy at the college I go to - where starting in the fall one can only smoke in his or her car, with the windows up. So far, a lot of the smokers, and *SOME* non-smoers [including myself] have been pushing for compromise, whereas a lot of the non-smokers are too stubborn to even look at compromise.
    And such a compromise is fine. I specifically listed a compromise that I preferred over this ban, which was smoking areas, which seem to work well for both the military and amusement parks. I got accused of trying to take away rights of smokers despite having the compromise in my first post. That irritates me because it makes me believe that, at least some smokers don't want to compromise but rather just complain about how they can't smoke whereever they want to.

    Also, some don't want to recognize that there is good evidence that their smoking does affect others negatively. That is the good reason for limiting where they can smoke.

    Banning it altogether is not a good way to deal with this but calling people names and not arguing based on what they are saying is not going to help the smokers' side.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #50
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: New Yorkers Have Mixed Feelings About Ban on Smoking in Parks(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    So, basically, you say smokers brought it upon themselves based on taking the act of a certain % of smokers, and making a blanket generalization about everybody who smokes? And somehow that %'s actions mean there can be no compromise, and the smokers should be forced to endure absurd taxation, ridicule to the point of slander in some cases, and all sort of other nasties?
    Smokers deserve to be derided for the simple fact that they are stupid enough to smoke. The rest of us should not have to be subjected to the stupidity of such smokers. Yes, they should be taxed heavily for two reasons: 1. to discourage young people from taking up the habit and 2. replenish government funds used to treat smokers. And what 'slander' is being perpetrated against smokers?

    I think people with that attitude brought it upon smokers if anything - often smokers want compromise to make it work - imperial evidence I have to support this is the reaction to the new smoking ban policy at the college I go to - where starting in the fall one can only smoke in his or her car, with the windows up. So far, a lot of the smokers, and *SOME* non-smoers [including myself] have been pushing for compromise, whereas a lot of the non-smokers are too stubborn to even look at compromise.
    What compromise do you want? I have no problem with smoker areas. However, many smokers don't care about that. They think they have the right to light up whereever and whenever they want. You don't. If you think you have the right to light up in the presense of non-smokers, then the non-smokers will respond by telling you that you don't. If you want the "freedom" to be enslaved to an addictive poison, perhaps you should form your own ghettos so you don't subject the rest of us to your poison.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •