Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 85

Thread: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Uh, last link. Did you look at it?
    Yes. It presents a theory; it does not show causation.

  2. #52
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

    Quote Originally Posted by tjinta ibis View Post
    If you believe in justice then you understand the "insanity" defense, and the "too young" defense, and the "developmentally disabled defense. If you believe in punishment then you don't. To the former a person's mental state is taken into account, to the latter it's: "Do the crime do the time/die." It's really a question how high up the morality scale you are. Justice folks are higher up the scale than punishment folks.
    I don't believe in either. I believe in expediency. I'm further down on the morality scale than any of you!



    Seriously, I don't care about what anyone deserves. I don't care if they're really innocent. I don't care about giving the victim's family closure. I care about how easy they are to fix, how likely they are to do it again, and whether or not the former justifies risking the latter.

    On a side note to your little spurt of moral superiority there, though, people who believe in punishment could well believe that justice for the victim is better than justice for the attacker even if the attacker can't really be said to have been responsible.

  3. #53
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,176

    Re: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Yes. It presents a theory; it does not show causation.
    As I suspected - you are simply going to ignore whatever I present without giving a reason (most of science we accept as true is still called theory) because you'd rather believe execution is a net positive. I don't know why I bother posting sources when I already know they will be ignored...

  4. #54
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

    If he's not insane, then what is he?

    Sane?

    If he was sane, he had a motive.

    What was his motive?

    Supporter of the gold standard, pro-life, clear grudge against the left, supporter of that crazy NWO **** those Ruby Ridge people supported...

    I think if we're not going to declare him "insane" then it's clear where he stood on the political scale.

    LOL!
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    As I suspected - you are simply going to ignore whatever I present...
    No... I am going to wait for you to show the necessary relationship between the things you claim to follow from one another.
    "Necessary relationship", not theory.
    Last edited by PzKfW IVe; 05-27-11 at 06:47 PM.

  6. #56
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,176

    Re: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    No... I am going to wait for you to show the necessary relationship between the things you claim to follow from one another.
    "Necessary relationship", not theory.
    The entire definition of the brutalization theory is that is establishes the link between executing people that leads to an increase in homicide in society. The link I posted referred to studies conducted that show this relationship of causation.

    Simply because this notion was thought of before the studies were conducted doesn't change that the studies show evidence for its truth. Does it only count if it happens by accident? That's a pretty squirrelly argument.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 05-27-11 at 07:01 PM.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    The entire definition of the brutalization theory is that is establishes the link between executing people that leads to an increase in homicide in society. The link I posted referred to studies conducted that show this relationship of causation.
    You apparently do not understand the concept of "necessary relationship" and the difference betwen causation and correlation.
    Either that, or you -do- understand them, know you cannot show either, and thusly try to shovel BS.

  8. #58
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    What was his motive?

    Supporter of the gold standard, pro-life, clear grudge against the left, supporter of that crazy NWO **** those Ruby Ridge people supported...

    I think if we're not going to declare him "insane" then it's clear where he stood on the political scale.
    I am willing to accept that as his theoretical motive. Just because I sympathized with Randy Weaver doesn't mean I didn't cheer when he stuck the needle in McVeigh.

    I still don't hear properly out of that ear.

  9. #59
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,176

    Re: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    You apparently do not understand the concept of "necessary relationship" and the difference betwen causation and correlation.
    Either that, or you -do- understand them, know you cannot show either, and thusly try to shovel BS.
    Are you trying to argue that a given execution resulting in a spike in homocide is irrelevant and not suggestive of cause? As with all societal trends, direct testing is not possible, but this doesn't mean that causal relationships can't be suspected if the result is consistent. Which in this case, it is.

    I suppose you'd also like to tell me that there is no causal relationship or implication between IQ and education because we cannot directly observe the contributing neurology that results in raising IQ, despite consistent test results?

  10. #60
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Tuscon gunmen Jared Loughner ruled unfit to stand trial

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    he just needs killin

    and if he is nutso all a better reason-he's like a mad dog
    an opinion of an officer of the court
    stunning
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •