Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 307

Thread: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

  1. #41
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I have been so victimized, hurt, my rights violated by every kid that ever smoked a joint. I demand revenge, cold hard bloody revenge for the crimes committed against me!
    Was that supposed to be taken seriously?

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Was that supposed to be taken seriously?

    Oh god if someone takes that seriously they need to locked up.

  3. #43
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    This is utter hogwash. 19 year old kids aren’t in prison in CA for getting caught with a little weed.
    Here are a few examples of some of the **** America's horrible criminal justice system does:

    Crime and punishment in America: Rough justice | The Economist
    Rough justice in America: Too many laws, too many prisoners | The Economist
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #44
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    I love how some conservatives constantly protest big government, wasteful spending, and any government programs that actually help people. But if you catch someone committing some minor crime? No amount of government spending is too high to lock them up in a cage for years!

    Apparently, cost-benefit analysis just goes right out the window when the subject is crime and punishment.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #45
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    This is utter hogwash. 19 year old kids arenít in prison in CA for getting caught with a little weed.
    Sale or distribution to minors is a felony under Health and Safety Code 11361.

    If you have a 17 year old friend and you smoke weed with them, that can be charged as distribution to a minor.

    CA NORML Marijuana Laws

    (b) Every person 18 years of age or over who furnishes, administers or gives or offers to furnish, administer, or give, any marijuana to a minor 14 years of age or older shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a period of three, four, or five years.

    CA NORML Marijuana Laws

    (a) Except as otherwise provided by this section or as authorized by law, every person who transports, imports into this state, sells, furnishes, administers, or gives away, or offers to transport import into this state, sell, furnish, administer, or give away, or attempts to import into this state or transport any marijuana shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a period of two, three or four years.

    Senate Votes to Double Fines, Jail Time for Pot Brownies | FDL Action

    The Senate unanimously passed Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)ís ďSaving Kids from Dangerous Drugs Act of 2009″ (S. 258) that targets pot brownies and other marijuana edibles preferred by some medical marijuana patients. The bill next moves to the House; if it passes that chamber, anyone making pot brownies or similar products could be subject to double the fines and jail time for regular marijuana.

    This billís passage marks a step backwards for Congress, which this week also passed the Fair Sentencing Act that reduced the sentencing disparities between cocaine and crack from 100:1 to 18:1. Now we have a new disparity: pot brownies and other marijuana edibles are now treated as something twice as bad as just distributing marijuana.
    USC / L.A. Times poll says 49% of California voters favor marijuana legalization | Comments Blog | Los Angeles Times

    Drug possession arrests for everything but marijuana collectively fell by nearly 30% in the same period. Meanwhile, arrests for marijuana possession have skyrocketed -- up 127%. This rise in marijuana arrests is the ultimate outlier.
    What were you saying?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #46
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I love how some conservatives constantly protest big government, wasteful spending, and any government programs that actually help people. But if you catch someone committing some minor crime? No amount of government spending is too high to lock them up in a cage for years!

    Apparently, cost-benefit analysis just goes right out the window when the subject is crime and punishment.
    I'd rather spend $20K per year to keep them in prison than give them $20K per year in welfare. at least in prison they won't be becoming baby daddy to five different women.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #47
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Sale or distribution to minors is a felony under Health and Safety Code 11361.

    If you have a 17 year old friend and you smoke weed with them, that can be charged as distribution to a minor.

    CA NORML Marijuana Laws

    (b) Every person 18 years of age or over who furnishes, administers or gives or offers to furnish, administer, or give, any marijuana to a minor 14 years of age or older shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a period of three, four, or five years.

    CA NORML Marijuana Laws

    (a) Except as otherwise provided by this section or as authorized by law, every person who transports, imports into this state, sells, furnishes, administers, or gives away, or offers to transport import into this state, sell, furnish, administer, or give away, or attempts to import into this state or transport any marijuana shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a period of two, three or four years.

    Senate Votes to Double Fines, Jail Time for Pot Brownies | FDL Action



    USC / L.A. Times poll says 49% of California voters favor marijuana legalization | Comments Blog | Los Angeles Times



    What were you saying?

    distributing pot to your underage friends is not the same thing as "being caught with a little weed".
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #48
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I'd rather spend $20K per year to keep them in prison than give them $20K per year in welfare. at least in prison they won't be becoming baby daddy to five different women.
    What if the welfare was conditional on them going to school and learning a trade?
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  9. #49
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    What if the welfare was conditional on them going to school and learning a trade?
    but it's not. and it never will be
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #50
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Here are a few examples of some of the **** America's horrible criminal justice system does:

    Crime and punishment in America: Rough justice | The Economist
    Rough justice in America: Too many laws, too many prisoners | The Economist
    Ok, I’ll agree with you that there are certainly too many nutty cases where law enforcement and the judicial system go overboard but we aren’t throwing 19 year old kids in prison for possession of a little weed here in CA and even if we were, it would have done zip, zero zilch to help those who are supposedly the victims in this case because they aren’t mentally ill.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •