Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 307

Thread: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

  1. #201
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Do they give you some warning you're about to be a lifer.


    You say they get a few chances to NOT end up for life, and then call the system stupid?

    /boggle
    Easy to see why states are having money problems......................but it is interesting that conservatives continue to support high taxes to fund life sentences for non-violent crimes.
    Last edited by Catawba; 05-24-11 at 04:33 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #202
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Easy to see why states are having money problems......................but it is interesting that conservatives continue to support high taxes to fund life sentences for non-violent crimes.
    Wherein did I say I support "high taxes" for anything?

    I support giving people a chance, in this case they get THREE Chances to avoid being incarcirated for life. Whose fault Catawaba is it, that these people end in prison?

    The first time? Okay, we can debate. After that... it's on them. Why are liberals so enamored by criminals?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #203
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Wherein did I say I support "high taxes" for anything?

    I support giving people a chance, in this case they get THREE Chances to avoid being incarcirated for life. Whose fault Catawaba is it, that these people end in prison?

    The first time? Okay, we can debate. After that... it's on them. Why are liberals so enamored by criminals?
    I'm not a liberal. I'm a libertarian. I believe in Constitutional Rights. The Constitution forbids double jeopardy. I cannot be tried and punished for the same crime twice. When I have two felonies and I receive another, I should not be sentenced based upon my prior two convictions.

    Why am I "enamored" with criminals? Because they are citizens.

  4. #204
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Wherein did I say I support "high taxes" for anything?

    I support giving people a chance, in this case they get THREE Chances to avoid being incarcirated for life. Whose fault Catawaba is it, that these people end in prison?

    The first time? Okay, we can debate. After that... it's on them. Why are liberals so enamored by criminals?
    Why are you so enamored with putting pot smokers on government/taxpayer support for their entire lives, Fidel?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #205
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Moderator's Warning:
    Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmatesLet's keep it civil and impersonal

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  6. #206
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    He must think I'm some 50 year old country baby daddy or something.
    Hey, don't talk about me like that. What is a country baby daddy, anyhow?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #207
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Indeed. Although, I doubt anyone keeps statistics to that extent. However, I don't think you can assume that most three time offenders were three time recidivists.
    probably a better assumption than that they got all 3 strikes in one fell swoop
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #208
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,315

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I'm not a liberal. I'm a libertarian. I believe in Constitutional Rights. The Constitution forbids double jeopardy. I cannot be tried and punished for the same crime twice. When I have two felonies and I receive another, I should not be sentenced based upon my prior two convictions.
    That's not double jeopardy.

    If you can't stay out trouble, then you deserve to go to prison for life, or be executed. More executions would solve alot of these problems.

    Why am I "enamored" with criminals? Because they are citizens.
    What about the rights of the citizens that are going to be harmed by the release of these scumbags?

  9. #209
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,315

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    How is it racist to point out that just because middle-class white kids don't always go to prison for stupid mistakes, others may not be so lucky? Our criminal justice system is racist, not the people who call attention to that fact.
    All those black and hispanic kids that have been convicted were convicted because they're not white? Not because they broke the law?

  10. #210
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: Supreme Court orders California to release tens of thousands of prison inmates

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Depends on who they release, and how they go about it. Lesser crimes will likely have lesser consequences. Home arrest might also be an option. It simply may not be as dire as Justice Scalia fears.
    doesnt surprise me you would say somethign like that I guess.

    "depends on who they release"?

    how about if you take them in, "depending" on who they release of course

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •