Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Concrete construction.
    extremely cost prohibitive.

  2. #22
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Evidently they should make "Tornado Resistant" homes. Ya know, go down to your local Ace Hardware and pick up the kit, it's only $19.95...
    I was just thinking how funny it is...I lived in Michigan for a few years and up there they don't practice tornado drills. If a tornado watch is issued (maybe once a year) they just send all of the kids home. Up there, almost every house has a basement almost completely below ground level, weather tight (due to snow melt), so if there's a watch out most people just trek down to the basement and hang out until the storm passes, terrified that a tornado will hit any time.

    In Texas, meanwhile...we have multiple tornado drills in school every year. If a warning comes through you've got to "duck n cover", but they aren't sending you home for any reason. Then, if we're home, we'll stand outside on the porch and watch the storm roll through. When the siren goes off we'll watch for the wind to die, at which point we might go into an interior room with a blanket or mattress. If you're at a retail facility they'll advise that you stay away from the windows, but otherwise it's business as usual. The only exception I've experienced was working at the mall, when they wanted to escort everybody into the underground tunnels.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #23
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I was just thinking how funny it is...I lived in Michigan for a few years and up there they don't practice tornado drills. If a tornado watch is issued (maybe once a year) they just send all of the kids home. Up there, almost every house has a basement almost completely below ground level, weather tight (due to snow melt), so if there's a watch out most people just trek down to the basement and hang out until the storm passes, terrified that a tornado will hit any time.

    In Texas, meanwhile...we have multiple tornado drills in school every year. If a warning comes through you've got to "duck n cover", but they aren't sending you home for any reason. Then, if we're home, we'll stand outside on the porch and watch the storm roll through. When the siren goes off we'll watch for the wind to die, at which point we might go into an interior room with a blanket or mattress. If you're at a retail facility they'll advise that you stay away from the windows, but otherwise it's business as usual. The only exception I've experienced was working at the mall, when they wanted to escort everybody into the underground tunnels.
    Different soil/conditions. You can't just put a basement into any type of ground.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #24
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

    I would not suggest making the entire home tornado resistant, just one particular room, large enough to contain the family for a couple of hours. Be it in the basement, or a large closet
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Different soil/conditions. You can't just put a basement into any type of ground.
    You especially can't sink a basement when you live at sea level (and we both do, I think). Our water table is maybe 3 feet down from the surface, so a basement would quickly turn into a swimming hole.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    I would not suggest making the entire home tornado resistant, just one particular room, large enough to contain the family for a couple of hours. Be it in the basement, or a large closet
    Those can help in smaller Tornadoes. But an F3+ generally takes the entire house and leave just the slab. Basements are great if you CAN build them where you are. (soil conditions) But even then a direct hit you just get sucked out.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #27
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    You especially can't sink a basement when you live at sea level (and we both do, I think). Our water table is maybe 3 feet down from the surface, so a basement would quickly turn into a swimming hole.
    Problem here is we're on top of an Aquifer, and the water levels very close to the ground, plus the soil is wrong for it. My uncle and I had this conversation.. basically, you build a basement here you have to put in a sump pump and and all sorts of really crazy stuff.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Problem here is we're on top of an Aquifer, and the water levels very close to the ground, plus the soil is wrong for it. My uncle and I had this conversation.. basically, you build a basement here you have to put in a sump pump and and all sorts of really crazy stuff.
    It's just impossible where I live. Our only alternative would be to install a tornado room, and I really can't afford to do that right now.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    It's just impossible where I live. Our only alternative would be to install a tornado room, and I really can't afford to do that right now.
    They are very expensive, and won't do a lick of good if the Tornado a monster, like the one that ripped through Joplin, or Tuscaloosa.

    Here you guys go, this is a great shot from the Jarrell Texas, AFTER the event.





    Tornado took the HOUSE and the Foundation. If ONLY they had made their house "tornado resistant!"
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  10. #30
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Missouri officials say tornado killed at least 89

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Different soil/conditions. You can't just put a basement into any type of ground.
    I know that..I was more referring to the difference in reactions.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •