Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 322

Thread: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 'threa

  1. #291
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 't

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    This is what I mean by a "hack" comment. The political persuasions of the participants are irrelevant... that's what the "hacks" posting, don't get.
    Not irrelevant at all. What are you proposing they debate about? the color of the sky? What you don't seem to get is that this is a really dumb idea.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #292
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,808
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 't

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Seriously?

    That bit of ignorance (birtherism) stems from a core bigotry, seeing the black man as 'the other'. Not trusting the colored (in their minds, less-American) skin. These may be perfectly nice people on the surface. They know black people, work with black people, and would never utter a racist word publicly. But in the those secret, private moments, they have that lingering doubt that the black man with Muslim name is not really American.

    It has EVERYTHING to do with racism.

    It is a very limiting belief to only think racists come in sheets. They're typically the older generation, people set in their ways. Again, not overt, but the bigotry is there, just below the surface.
    *NEWSFLASH*

    Just because one disagrees with Obama and hates his policies does not make one a racist.

    If Obama were white (well, he is half white after all), I'd still disagree with him and hate his policies. It has nothing to do with the color of his skin and everything to do with him destroying this country. How you folks try to make a connection between a bunch of morons not believing that Obama was born in the US to them being racist is illogical at best. I had doubts that Obama was actually born in Hawaii, and I'm still not 100% convinced, but there are very few things that I'm 100% sure of outside of death and I'm no birther. IMO, he has presented enough evidence to drop the case and move on. He's our President, like it or not, and he's there legitimately. I don't hate Obama and I'm not a racist in the slightest. Just because you claim that "birthers are racist" doesn't make it true. Either your being purposely deceitful and you don't care that you're spreading lies and propaganda or you aren't capable of seeing the truth, even if it hurts.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  3. #293
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 't

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Is suggesting there is no racists in the tea party ridiculous? Absolutely. Then again, so is suggesting Tea Party Rallies are akin to KKK rallies.

    For every racist sign people find in a picture, there's dozens or hundreds of other people typically in the picture not suggesting such hate. There's also dozens of pictures of dozens to hundreds of people without any of them holding a racist sign. Taking a few signs and making everyone around it guilty by association is asinine, and illogical. The main way people justify the "tea party = racist" argument is based on nothing but biased opinion that assigns motive or views to people based off biased assumptions and stereotypes rather than fact.

    That said, I think its rather ridiculous to criticize people for ignorance on the tea party and any racist elements and then turn around and make an ignorant and completely unverifiable claim that it's a "fact" there are more Racists in the democratic party than in the Republican Party and Tea Party combined. Basing this on what?

    Personally, I think that the racists...the honest to goodness, legitimate, full on racists...are a significant minority in the large scope of each side of the aisle, and make up primarily the fringes. And to attempt to quantify either side is a useless cause. Its when you start gettinginto the more questionable "racist" accusations that the lines begin to blur a bit, but frankly I feel so often those arguments are more a factor of people creating an issue out of nothing to further a victim mentality and to demonize enemies than any honest to goodness true form of racism.

    I agree with CC completely about Bachmann. There's no good way to "teach" during a debate. If Bachmann was successful in her debate with the teenager, the left wing pundits and and die hards would spin it immedietely into her beating up on a kid, lowering herself to debating a teenager, insult her by suggesting teenagers are the only people she could out debate, etc. If Bachmann was not successful, then she'd be grilled as well only even worse. There would be zero benefit to her in debating the teenager. Are we honestly thinking that if she actually did significantly better than the teenager most of the liberal die hards would go "Oh wow, Bachmann actually does know her stuff. I like her and respect her now".

    If you believe that, I have swamp land in Florida I want to sell you.

    As to the "attention whoring" of the girl, that's somewhat hard to say. This is the type of story that screams of a situation where a reporter or someone heard about it and sought out the story. If she purposefully promoted herself and got the word out and got the news interest going on her...yeah, annoying self publicity. But if this was more something she was roped into doing, even if going along willingly, I wouldn't really say attention whoring. And, even if it is shameless self promotion, depending on what this girls honest aspirations are I can't really blame her. This seems more of a legitimate attempt to get involved into politics than it is an attempt to get 15 minutes of fame to be a "celebrity" or something of the sorts.

    The people actually giving threats are ridiculous, and anything found legitimate should be looked into. That said, with the aninonimity of the internet, crap like this isn't as uncommon of an occurence as it may've been. I'd dare say a good bit of the various threats are completely hollow or even flat out fraudulent. Doesn't really make it right, but postings on internet boards don't worry me as much as if she was getting threatening phone calls or things sent to her home.

    Zyphlin, which party supports Government programs that reward people merely based on skin color, while denying same rewards to others based on skin color?

    Point, match, win.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #294
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,808
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 't

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Zyphlin, which party supports Government programs that reward people merely based on skin color, while denying same rewards to others based on skin color?

    Point, match, win.
    It's so much more than that, but that a different topic for a different thread.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  5. #295
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 't

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    It's so much more than that, but that a different topic for a different thread.
    I merely am zeroing in on a legislative action of Government that is inherently racist.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 't

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    *NEWSFLASH*

    Just because one disagrees with Obama and hates his policies does not make one a racist.
    Textbook Strawman.

    Because the reader can't see your post that I was responding to, they assume that was my position -- all anti-Obama's are racist.

    But that's not what I said. I was responding to your specific quote --

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    What on earth does believing he was born in the US or not have to do with racism in the slightest?
    Moving on.

    In the next paragraph you sort of transition to what I was really commenting on (birthers, and those still having doubt)... AND, you bravely admit you have your own doubts.

    If Obama were white (well, he is half white after all), I'd still disagree with him and hate his policies. It has nothing to do with the color of his skin and everything to do with him destroying this country. How you folks try to make a connection between a bunch of morons not believing that Obama was born in the US to them being racist is illogical at best. I had doubts that Obama was actually born in Hawaii, and I'm still not 100% convinced, but there are very few things that I'm 100% sure of outside of death and I'm no birther. IMO, he has presented enough evidence to drop the case and move on. He's our President, like it or not, and he's there legitimately. I don't hate Obama and I'm not a racist in the slightest. Just because you claim that "birthers are racist" doesn't make it true. Either your being purposely deceitful and you don't care that you're spreading lies and propaganda or you aren't capable of seeing the truth, even if it hurts.
    Let me be specific. I'm talking about birthers and those still harboring doubt, even a little doubt.

    IMO opinion, that doubt stems from a subtle from of hidden closet racism. When you peel back the layers, asking people to specifically define what they 'hate' about Obama, you inevitably get to 'welfare', 'socialism', or other negative associations stemming from the color of his skin.

    Yet, the words themselves (welfare, socialist) bare no literal relations to his actual policies. So what is it then? What do they 'hate'?

    IMO - On a subconscious level, those with doubt were not ready for a black president. That older generation still holding on to the stereotypes of yesteryear. The code words on Fox News, their daily narrative, help keep that fire burning, even if it's just embers.

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 't

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Zyphlin, which party supports Government programs that reward people merely based on skin color, while denying same rewards to others based on skin color?

    Point, match, win.
    Not really, considering that when there was a GOP President and Congress, none of those so called "racist" programs were ever removed by said GOP controlled government.

    Nice try, but as much as the GOP seems to not like these programs, they did NOTHING to remove them when they were in control of everything.

  8. #298
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 't

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Not really, considering that when there was a GOP President and Congress, none of those so called "racist" programs were ever removed by said GOP controlled government.

    Nice try, but as much as the GOP seems to not like these programs, they did NOTHING to remove them when they were in control of everything.
    Pick your fights.

    And when was the last time the GOP had 60 Senate Seats, and a filibuster house?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 't

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Pick your fights.

    And when was the last time the GOP had 60 Senate Seats, and a filibuster house?
    Your free to make excuses all you want but the FACT is that it is all talk and no action by the GOP. But then that is what the GOP is good at.

  10. #300
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Cherry Hill student's challenge to Tea Party champion Michele Bachmann prompts 't

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Your free to make excuses all you want but the FACT is that it is all talk and no action by the GOP. But then that is what the GOP is good at.
    I see, so you can't answer the question?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •