Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 503

Thread: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorization

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    Let's see.

    Does the phrase "war of choice" apply only to Republicans? Apparently. No one is using it in this instance.

    Does the phrase "nation building" apply only to Republicans? Apparently. What else can it be called when the "President" takes sides in a civil war in which both sides are completely inimical to the United States?

    Does the phrase "Obama lied and people died" have any legs? It should. Obama is killin people in Libya right now.
    All true and, unlike Bush, all without the approval of Congress.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    Let's see.

    Does the phrase "war of choice" apply only to Republicans? Apparently. No one is using it in this instance.

    Does the phrase "nation building" apply only to Republicans? Apparently. What else can it be called when the "President" takes sides in a civil war in which both sides are completely inimical to the United States?

    Does the phrase "Obama lied and people died" have any legs? It should. Obama is killin people in Libya right now.
    While I agree that we shold not go to war without a decalration of war, we have agreed to be part of the UN and act within their scope. This action in Libya is not equal to Bush invading two countries on his own, without the UN or a decalration of war. You lose credibility when you try to force unequal things into being equal.

    Now, should we be involved in regrime change anywhere? No. Do I support us not going to war unless we have a decalration of war, yes. Outside the UN, that is how we shold do it, with a declaration of war.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Maybe it is bunk maybe isn't unless you have a crystal ball or something.

    In the mean time I do think we should help them achieve this vision that they started on their own.
    In reality you have no idea what that vision is, despite what is on this paper. They can tell you whatever they want, but that doesn't mean it's true.

    Never have I heard of any Mid East nation, apart from Israel, having these ambitions. The Muslim Brotherhood knows just what they want and will design whatever they say to what we want to hear. Now we are breaking laws in our own countries to follow Muslim Brotherhood ambitions.

    I would dearly love to be wrong, but don't beleive I am.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    While I agree that we shold not go to war without a decalration of war, we have agreed to be part of the UN and act within their scope. This action in Libya is not equal to Bush invading two countries on his own, without the UN or a decalration of war. You lose credibility when you try to force unequal things into being equal.

    Now, should we be involved in regrime change anywhere? No. Do I support us not going to war unless we have a decalration of war, yes. Outside the UN, that is how we shold do it, with a declaration of war.
    Is the United States now subject to the whims of the UN rather than subject to its own laws?

    George Bush had the approval of the US Congress to do what he did. Barrack Obama is doing it on his own.

    The moment you support your leader while he is breaking American law is when the Republic is in its greatest danger. It seems you are unaware of what a precedent this sets. Party politics now trumps America's interests,

  5. #35
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    My understanding is that Congress isn't exactly in a hurry to vote on it. Jon Kyl doesn't think that the War Powers Act applies. In fact, both he and his fellow Senator form Arizona think that Obama's not doing enough in Libya.

  6. #36
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post

    The moment you support your leader while he is breaking American law is when the Republic is in its greatest danger. It seems you are unaware of what a precedent this sets. Party politics now trumps America's interests,
    Like waterboarding? Party politics has been th thing for a while now, and it's both parties.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Is the United States now subject to the whims of the UN rather than subject to its own laws?

    George Bush had the approval of the US Congress to do what he did. Barrack Obama is doing it on his own.

    The moment you support your leader while he is breaking American law is when the Republic is in its greatest danger. It seems you are unaware of what a precedent this sets. Party politics now trumps America's interests,
    Always good to see that old strawman pop up. It shows a complete lack of thought. But, no one said anything about the US being subject to the whims of the UN. Merely we've signed agreements, of our own free will, to act with them on UN missions.

    And congress did not declare war under Bush. Passing the buck to let him decide is nto equal to a declaration of war. And many of you did support Bush when he was breaking the law, repeatedly, from invading countries to illegal wiretapping to torture. All of this was against the best interests of this country and the people who live here.

    And yes, Bush supporters did often put party over America's interests. If you guys did not set the precedent, you certainly advanced it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #38
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    I support the three waterboardings and I support Obama kicking ass.

    No party politics here.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I support the three waterboardings and I support Obama kicking ass.

    No party politics here.

    That just made me think of the 12 of Christmas

  10. #40
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post


    Who said we're gonna pick someone? Do we have the right to take out dictators who use their Air Force against their own people? Yes.
    Are Americans being bombed, killed?...No? Then its not our ****ing problem

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •