Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 503

Thread: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorization

  1. #291
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The Constitution is not a dictionary. You're actually expected to knwo the definition of words.



    See above, it's not a dictionary. It is assumed you have one and can look up words you don't know.

    Now, take the fingers out of your ears, open you eyes, and try agian,
    Joe, You believe that what Bush did was illegal? And if so how can Obama continuing these things not be illegal as well?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #292
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    he cant answer that, he's lost in libbyland.

    the hypocrisy of this administration and its followers will be thier demise
    I'M VOTING FOR THE WHITE GUY THIS TIME

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The Constitution is not a dictionary. You're actually expected to knwo the definition of words.
    Nothing here negates the soundness of anything that I said.

    As anyone with better than a 3rd grade knowledge of legal matters knows, the definition of constitutional and legal terms - THE defintion, not A defintion - comes from the Constitution or the law surrounding it.

    Until you cite THE defintion, from the Constitution or the law that surrounds it, you are not working with THE defintion; as such, any arguments you make are, necessarily, unsound.

    Nothing can change that. Nothing.

  4. #294
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Joe, You believe that what Bush did was illegal? And if so how can Obama continuing these things not be illegal as well?

    j-mac
    One, he's not doing the same thing. YOu can't comapre apples and tree frogs and pretend they are the exact same. This has been the UN and NATO and not the US going out on their own.

    Secondly, while not as illegal as Bush's actions, nor as costly, I would still have prefered Obama went to congress. Want to bet republicans would have treated this differently if he had?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #295
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Nothing here negates the soundness of anything that I said.

    As anyone with better than a 3rd grade knowledge of legal matters knows, the definition of constitutional and legal terms - THE defintion, not A defintion - comes from the Constitution or the law surrounding it.

    Until you cite THE defintion, from the Constitution or the law that surrounds it, you are not working with THE defintion; as such, any arguments you make are, necessarily, unsound.

    Nothing can change that. Nothing.
    No, words have meaning. Legal defintions as well. We've muddied the water over the years because we've allowed more. But that's not the issue. The issue is what is a decalration of war. For that, you look in a dictionary. Now if you want to argue that we have abandoned that part of the constitition and have been doing something else, I would agree. But that is why I call on us to go back to what the constitution calls for: a declaration of war.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #296
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    One, he's not doing the same thing. YOu can't comapre apples and tree frogs and pretend they are the exact same. This has been the UN and NATO and not the US going out on their own.

    Secondly, while not as illegal as Bush's actions, nor as costly, I would still have prefered Obama went to congress. Want to bet republicans would have treated this differently if he had?

    Maybe I should be more specific. Joe, do you believe that Obama continuing the operations that the Bush administration started with regards to Iraq, and Afghanistan, neither with actual "Declarations of war" behind them, is illegal, and why any less so for Obama?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #297
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Maybe I should be more specific. Joe, do you believe that Obama continuing the operations that the Bush administration started with regards to Iraq, and Afghanistan, neither with actual "Declarations of war" behind them, is illegal, and why any less so for Obama?

    j-mac
    Now that's another question, but as I told you back when Bush was president, that the real mistake was going in. That once we went in, there was no good way to end this. The mistake and damage was done. Obama has less choice than you guys like to think he has. Iraq is winding down, and it is now up to the Iraqis. Afghanistan, while problematic, is at least more understandable, as that is where we should have been in the first place.

    You might also recall I never called on Bush to be impeached or arrested. What he did was illegal in the fact that he broke agreeements we made in good faith and without any of the justifications that would allow him to do that (Obama hasn't btw). I want congress to go back to declaring war, as is there charge, but recognize that they haven't for a long time (a mistake in my view). The argument you have entered into is about what is meant by declaring war. The person I'm speaking to seems to believe in a much broader interpretation that I do, one that ignore the meanings of the words.

    But, what was illegal was going in. Bush did that. Now that the damage has been done, the question is more how to move out and not do even more harm.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, words have meaning. Legal defintions as well.
    Yes... and, since we are dealing with a legal issue, until you show THE defintion as per the Constitution or the law that surrounds it, your argument is unsound.
    Nothing can change that. Nothing.
    Last edited by PzKfW IVe; 05-24-11 at 03:59 PM.

  9. #299
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Yes... and, since we are dealing with a legal issue, until you show THE defintion as per the Constitution or the law that surrounds it, your argument is unsound.
    Nothing can change that. Nothing.
    Your distinction is meaningless. Sorry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Your distinction is meaningless.
    Only to those with the aforementioned sub-third-grade understanding of the law - such as, obviously, yourself.

    Until you show THE defintion as per the Constitution or the law that surrounds it, your argument is unsound.
    Nothing can change that. Nothing.

Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •