Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 503

Thread: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorization

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Regardless of whehter it is or not to me doesn't relieve Congress from taking a stand on our involvement in the NATO action. I think it is cowardly that they have not taken a vote before now.
    Nothing requires a vote.
    The WPA requires a positive action by Congress - an issuance of authorization - for the CinC to continue operations.
    Absent that issuance, for whatever reason, be it a 'no' vote or no vote at all, means the CinC must desist.

  2. #282
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    These government have yet to replaced with anything better. So far, all I see are bad dictators being replaced with really bad dictator. There's the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, the pro-AQ clowns in Libya and there's no telling who is going to take over Syria, if there is the successful overthrow of that government.

    I believe anyone that foresees a warm, peaceful democratic movement in the ME is living in a fantasy world.
    1. The Arab Spring is not yet over, we will have to wait until the dust settles to see what really occurs.

    2. The Muslim Brotherhood isn't even in power in Egypt and isn't running a candidate, so you've got that wrong.

    3. I agree with you on Libya, there the West is supporting the Islamic Libyan Fighting Group who have strong ties to AQ.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  3. #283
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    What are you talking about Boo? Bush got authorization from Congress and the UN has nothing to do with the constitutionality of Presidential use of force.

    As for Obama not breaking his oath, did you read what he wrote to the Boston Globe before he became President?
    He did not get a declaration of war. Passing the buck is not equal to a declaration of war. Sorry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #284
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    of course its a definition of war, and he knows it too.

    My point concerning media bias, is that attacking another country should be page 1, top of page, every day page 1 top of page until Obama acts in a manner the office requires he acts.

    he is kiling people under our flag, youd think that following the rules is the least he could do..

    I am preparing myself for more liberal "hes our man, if he cant do it nobody can" for an entire campaign cycle from the media.. because its going to happen, I'm just praying to God, our creator, the same God that the people that started this great country believed in nd openly worshipped, that the GOP puts up the right candidate, thereby making it easy to knock clown boy back to a community leader or whatever it is an ousted president goes and does in his late 40's. write books I suppose about how racism cost him his second term...

    theres a change a comin, change and hope to quote an ex president.
    Again, it was page one. Has been several times. You simply are not getting the biased effort you want.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    He did not get a declaration of war.
    No matter how many times you say this, as has been deomstrated, you're still wrong.

  6. #286
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Yes. You use it because it suits you and the postion you have chosen to take.
    As I said - you have a conclusion and have found 'facts' to support it.
    I use it because it is the definition. That is a fact. We use dictionaries to define words. I would say you deny this fact to suit you. You don't want words defined because this means you can believe anything.

    A dictionary defintion is not a binding legal defintion, especially of concern when discussing constitutional and legal issues, as we are here.
    There is, as you have admitted, no constitutional or legislative specification as to the contents of a declaration or war, and so the condtiitons and requirements you have tried to place here have absolutely no constitutional or legal basis to them.

    As such, while your definion has meaning to you, it is in no way compelling to anyone who posesses a clue.

    I admit this is funny, but the issue is definition of the word. The legality is in who declares war (congress in case you forget). Definition is about what declaring war means. It is silly to think you have to have these words defined by law. Reminds me of Clinton silliness when he behaved as if he didn't know the meaning of the word is.

    You may try again:
    How is legislation that authorizes the government of the United States to go to war with, to commit acts of war against and to make war upon another state not a declaration of war?
    A declaration of war states clear that we are now at war. Not later, maybe, if someone else wants to be. It is making the legal declaration that we are now at war. This is what congress is charged with doing. They are not allowed to say this is too hard for us, and we do't want the blame, so I'm going to let the president decide whenever he wants to. Kerry is not allowed to say I don't support him going to war outside the UN, but I'll vote for this because he promiesed not to, yet there won't be anythign legal to stop him from doing so.

    To pretend that you don't understand this is a bit dishonest. You have been answered.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #287
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    No matter how many times you say this, as has been deomstrated, you're still wrong.
    Self pronouncements are also not equal to fact.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Self pronouncements are also not equal to fact.
    Yes... like your constitutionally and legislatively meaningless prescription as to what constitutes a valid declaration of war.

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I use it because it is the definition.
    Not according to the Constitution or the law surrounding. That is a fact.

    I admit this is funny, but the issue is definition of the word.
    Yes... according to the Constitution and the law, not your preference.

    A declaration of war states clear that we are now at war.
    Please cite the text of the Constitution, or any legislation pursuant to same, that describes and/or specifies the manner of this declaration.

    You have been answered.
    Yes... without effect.

  10. #290
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Not according to the Constitution or the law surrounding. That is a fact.
    The Constitution is not a dictionary. You're actually expected to knwo the definition of words.

    Please cite the text of the Constitution, or any legislation pursuant to same, that describes and/or specifies the manner of this declaration.
    See above, it's not a dictionary. It is assumed you have one and can look up words you don't know.

    Now, take the fingers out of your ears, open you eyes, and try agian,

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •