Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 503

Thread: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorization

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    dept chair, eh?
    LOL!
    Yes - in the College of Remediation.
    Those who cannot do, teach.

  2. #182
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    That's completely ridiculous and ignores reality. The reason that the Arab Spring is occurring is because people are tired of dealing with crappy, oppressive governments that only care about themselves.

    If things go as I hope, which now look quite iffy, the people of the Middle East will be functioning democracies.
    These government have yet to replaced with anything better. So far, all I see are bad dictators being replaced with really bad dictator. There's the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, the pro-AQ clowns in Libya and there's no telling who is going to take over Syria, if there is the successful overthrow of that government.

    I believe anyone that foresees a warm, peaceful democratic movement in the ME is living in a fantasy world.

  3. #183
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Or that it has been reported, but your bias has not been prominate, and you want the media to reflect your bais.
    Its not a matter of bias,
    its a matter of black and white, my standard regardless

    you cant go to war witha nother nation without approval from congress,

    In matters of national emergency, his call, but within 60 days you have to present such call, and have it approved by congress.

    Theres no bias in that written requirment.

    the bias is in that the media hasnt made it front page news, at least as prominent as say a Donald trump calling for his BC.
    which they reported as if it was the second coming

    play on my friend, your play dates are numbered though, take heed

  4. #184
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    Its not a matter of bias,
    its a matter of black and white, my standard regardless

    you cant go to war witha nother nation without approval from congress,

    In matters of national emergency, his call, but within 60 days you have to present such call, and have it approved by congress.

    Theres no bias in that written requirment.

    the bias is in that the media hasnt made it front page news, at least as prominent as say a Donald trump calling for his BC.
    which they reported as if it was the second coming

    play on my friend, your play dates are numbered though, take heed
    Congress ahs supported our involvement with the UN, so you're not exactly correct. And as I have stated, this has been covered, just not with your bais. I still believe that is what you want to see.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not true. I cited the defintion.
    False.
    You cited your preferred definition, not "the" defintion.
    You have admitted that there is no Constitutional or legislative defintion.
    As such, your argument stands on nothing other than your preference, which means nothing to anyone but you.

    I ask again:
    How is legislation that authorizes the government of the United States to go to war with, to commit acts of war against and to make war upon another state not a declaration of war?
    Last edited by PzKfW IVe; 05-23-11 at 04:36 PM.

  6. #186
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And as I have stated, this has been covered, just not with your bais. I still believe that is what you want to see.

    Bit of projection going on here me thinks.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #187
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    False.
    You cited your preferred definition, not "the" defintion.
    You have admitted that there is no Constitutional or legislative defintion.
    As such, you have nothing to stand on other than your preference, which means nothing to anyone but you.

    I ask again:
    How is legislation that authorizes the government of the United States to go to war with, to commit acts of war against and to make war upon another state not a declaration of war?
    Perefered? Yes, a dictionary definition is what I used. Yes, that is what we normally used to define words.

    And I've answered you. Re-read it carefully. Being in a state is different than letting someone else decide if we can be in that state. One is active and now, declared by the proper body. The other is saying we won't do our job, so you do it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #188
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    If Obama is allowed to get away with this, let's make no mistake about it: It will mean that the War Powers Act is dead, because every future president will simply cite Obama's Libyan adventure as a precedent. It will mean that the president will have the power to wage war anywhere in the world, for any reason, on any scale, for any length of time, without any checks or balances on his power. This is NOT a path that the United States of America should go down.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #189
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Bit of projection going on here me thinks.

    j-mac
    Nope.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: White House: Limited Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorizati

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We ahven't invaded nor occupied any country here. As an element of UN support, I'm not sure it is needed. But, I ahve stated I would have prefered he asked for a specific mission and got that mission approved, and not a blanket passing of the buck.
    The US has not bombed Libya?? There are no US troops in Libya?

    Are you serious or are you joking?

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •