Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647
Results 461 to 470 of 470

Thread: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

  1. #461
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Nobody tried to introduce homosexuality curriculum in Tennessee. This was pushed by one man who has been trying to push the same bill for years. It isn't recent, the only reason it has finally come this far is the mid terms were favorable for Republicans in Tennessee.
    So once again this is just political pandering.

    Gays aren't actually being oppressed, as OP would have you believe.

  2. #462
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So once again this is just political pandering.

    Gays aren't actually being oppressed, as OP would have you believe.
    When this bill was debated, it was made very clear that many of the politicians had bought into the FRC line that the best way to deal with gay youths was to discourage them from identifying as gay. This bill is meant to serve as a social stigma by highlighting a particular subject that the state says is not okay to talk about.

    The purpose of this bill is not to target teachers, but gay youths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  3. #463
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    When this bill was debated, it was made very clear that many of the politicians had bought into the FRC line that the best way to deal with gay youths was to discourage them from identifying as gay. This bill is meant to serve as a social stigma by highlighting a particular subject that the state says is not okay to talk about.

    The purpose of this bill is not to target teachers, but gay youths.
    Well, elections have consequences, what can I say.

  4. #464
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The existing sex-ed classes.

    There was a push by pro-gay'rights to introduce material into these sex-ed classes specifically on homosexuality, which was trending towards more pro-gay coarse material in other arias of the curriculum. I strongly suspect that pro-gay tried this in Tennessee because Tennessee's general view of gays is well known. Far from an honest attempt to educate, imo this was a deliberate publicity stunt. Pro-gay knew how the people of Tennessee would react, and they're getting the headlines they wanted.
    Sex ed is not gay sex ed. So, no, no one is giving an entire class to homosexuality at this level.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #465
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sex ed is not gay sex ed. So, no, no one is giving an entire class to homosexuality at this level.
    I didn't suggest anyone was.

    IMO we shouldn't have a public education system for this to even be an issue. The whole thing should be privatized, ie private schools only, with tax-payer funded vouchers issued from the government that you can spend wherever you want.

    If a school is teaching gay material you don't like, fine, go somewhere else.

    If a school is not teaching gay material you do want, fine, go somewhere else.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-08-11 at 06:26 PM.

  6. #466
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I didn't suggest anyone was.

    IMO we shouldn't have a public education system for this to even be an issue. The whole thing should be privatized, ie private schools only, with tax-payer funded vouchers issued from the government that you can spend wherever you want.

    If a school is teaching gay material you don't like, fine, go somewhere else.

    If a school is not teaching gay material you do want, fine, go somewhere else.
    That's another issue and I fully disagree, but you spoke to not giving a full class to gay issues. I asked who was and you presented sex ed which is nor only gay issues.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #467
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well, elections have consequences, what can I say.
    True. In California it went the other way. They now have gender diversity education in K-12 and also teach about prominent gay rights leaders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  8. #468
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I didn't suggest anyone was.

    IMO we shouldn't have a public education system for this to even be an issue. The whole thing should be privatized, ie private schools only, with tax-payer funded vouchers issued from the government that you can spend wherever you want.

    If a school is teaching gay material you don't like, fine, go somewhere else.

    If a school is not teaching gay material you do want, fine, go somewhere else.
    Translation: Most private schools that already exist and are already established are religious schools, so let's give them a virtual monopoly on education by giving them public school money. If you don't like it, then tough luck. And of course, if you don't like what the religious schools teach about homosexuality, then that is your problem and you'll just have to go out of your way to find a secular private school that has managed to establish itself.

    Square one Economics, eh Jerry? People who never take into consideration the current composition of the market when suggesting grand social engineering changes generally have a hidden agenda.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 06-08-11 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  9. #469
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    True. In California it went the other way. They now have gender diversity education in K-12 and also teach about prominent gay rights leaders.
    And that's a fine example of why I don't live in CA.

    It's not that I disagree with indoctrinating per-se, it's that I disagree with that particular doctrine.

  10. #470
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Translation:
    Translation: "I'm about to twist what you said and put words into your mouth because I can't think of an original way to troll you at the moment."

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    .......Most private schools that already exist and are already established are religious schools, so let's give them a virtual monopoly on education by giving them public school money. If you don't like it, then tough luck. And of course, if you don't like what the religious schools teach about homosexuality, then that is your problem and you'll just have to go out of your way to find a secular private school that has managed to establish itself.

    Square one Economics, eh Jerry? People who never take into consideration the current composition of the market when suggesting grand social engineering changes generally have a hidden agenda.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-08-11 at 07:34 PM.

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •