Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 470

Thread: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

  1. #381
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't think homosexuality should be taught in middle school, junior high, either.
    More extremist thinking...

    No one is 'teaching homosexuality'... It can't be taught. But teaching tolerance toward homosexuality. And counseling teens that being different does not make your wrong or broken...


    School is for learning how to think, not what to think.
    I agree 100%.

    Thinking, like map reading, requires a compass. And if the compass you're getting at home is broken, it's up to the school to fix it.

  2. #382
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    I think this law isna bad waste of resources personally.
    "Weíre going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and thatís crazy." -Reagan

  3. #383
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I donít believe in God personally but I respect those who do and I would die for their right to practice faith in said god.

    I donít believe people are born gay either but I would lay my life down to protect gay rights in this county because both of these are my culture. Both of these are my heritage. I do not need to choose one over the other or hate people I disagree with.

    I do have a tendency to tell people who try to preach religion at me the same thing I am telling you. When you get some proof one way or another, Iíll jump on the wagon. Till then, I might give you a hard time if you keep trying to throw BS that isnít proof of anything in my face but I will respect and defend your right to think whatever kinda crazy crap you can come up with because this is what makes America so great. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree and then go dance because the song thatís playing now could end at any time.
    I don't understand what religion has to do with the post you quoted...? Or where you got this idea that I'm picking on religion. I merely said religious arguments don't belong in the law-making process. The framework of our country agrees with me.

    Seriously, I just don't understand where this is coming from.

  4. #384
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't think homosexuality should be taught in middle school, junior high, either. Not at all, prior to the 11th grade and probably not at all.

    School is for learning how to think, not what to think.
    How exactly does one "teach" homosexuality? Seriously.

    I knew what homosexuality was at a very young age. My mother was a landlady in the city and she had plenty of gay tenants, some of whom were co-habitating. I don't remember if it was explained to me, or if I simply put 2 and 2 together, but I knew what being gay was at or before I was in 1st grade.

    Didn't make me any less straight (not that it would matter if I were gay, but I'm just making the point that you can't make someone gay).

    But frankly, I really don't see anyone trying to discuss homosexuality with children in schools who are that young. It's a completely bogus argument anyway.

    But what is wrong with people knowing that gay people exist? Simply stating that some people are gay doesn't tell them what to think about it, and it certainly doesn't "teach" them how to be gay.

    Your argument really just doesn't make any sense.

  5. #385
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    If that's true then you must also believe that parents are not qualified to teach their own children about sexuality, since they are not counsellors either.

    The basics of sex education are not difficult to grasp especially in the modern world. There is plenty of information available. Most young people can get much more information on the internet now than is available in whatever time block their sex ed class offers; and most young people know how to use the internet far more efficiently than adults do.

    So... it seems that sex ed in the classroom will be confined to reproductive anatomy as it always has been; in which case, we should change the name to "reproductive anatomy class", since the topic of sexuality can't possibly be just that.

    In Tennessee, conservative political correctness has won. It's no different than where liberal political correctness has won in CA. One is just responding to the other and in the end it only denies choices from the general public.
    Your conclusion is purposefully absurd. You think we're all stupid here, or what? You probably do, thinking your superior liberal mind is way above us all. We're talking about teach in schools, not at home. Try keeping up with the topic at hand, without modifying it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #386
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Your conclusion is purposefully absurd. You think we're all stupid here, or what? You probably do, thinking your superior liberal mind is way above us all. We're talking about teach in schools, not at home. Try keeping up with the topic at hand, without modifying it.
    Nobody was teaching homosexuality in Tennessee public schools. All the Tennessee law makers did was make asses of themselves because they bought into a line of their own rhetoric.

  7. #387
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    This comes as a great surprise to many, but not to most football fans in the SEC. It is a well known fact that Tennessee has been a gay haven for years.
    Yeah, Volunteer Orange... such a gay color... ever been at Neyland Stadium surrounded by 100,000 of them???
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #388
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    More extremist thinking...

    No one is 'teaching homosexuality'... It can't be taught. But teaching tolerance toward homosexuality. And counseling teens that being different does not make your wrong or broken...




    I agree 100%.

    Thinking, like map reading, requires a compass. And if the compass you're getting at home is broken, it's up to the school to fix it.




    That defines liberal thinking to a tee ... let the government teach our kids how to "think".....but only when it's in line with the liberal thinking. We have a school system that can't teach our children to read or write, but yet the liberals think it's perfectly acceptable for the same school system to be telling children ages 5 to 13 what to "think" about gay people.

    When our school system, can begin to produce " well educated" children ... then we can get into if they are qualified to be teaching our children how to "think"

  9. #389
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    [/B]


    That defines liberal thinking to a tee ... let the government teach our kids how to "think".....but only when it's in line with the liberal thinking. We have a school system that can't teach our children to read or write, but yet the liberals think it's perfectly acceptable for the same school system to be telling children ages 5 to 13 what to "think" about gay people.
    Really? The school system can't teach children how to read and write? Care to back that up?

    Another silly conservative making unsubstantiated assumptions and trying to pass them off as fact.

  10. #390
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,946

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    [/B]


    That defines liberal thinking to a tee ... let the government teach our kids how to "think".....but only when it's in line with the liberal thinking. We have a school system that can't teach our children to read or write, but yet the liberals think it's perfectly acceptable for the same school system to be telling children ages 5 to 13 what to "think" about gay people.

    When our school system, can begin to produce " well educated" children ... then we can get into if they are qualified to be teaching our children how to "think"
    Have any of you people ever thought that maybe it isn't so much the school system as it is the attitude of the children and how they are being raised by their parents?

    I am a product of public school and have very little problem reading or writing or even doing advanced math and knowing quite a bit about science and history, plus a little bit of French. My 5 siblings all seem to have very few problems with reading and writing, except for maybe the one with dyslexia, but even he is quite capable of reading and writing it just takes a little more concentration and time, and his dyslexia is certainly no fault of the school system. Schools do just fine teaching children who want to learn.

    But outlawing the teaching of any subject in school just because some parents feel that it is offensive or immoral is just wrong. Common sense and local rules can be used to ensure that inappropriate material and parts of certain subjects is much better than outlawing discussion of an entire subject. And I'm pretty sure that this is not going to hold up very well under the freedom of speech part of the Constitution.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •