Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 470

Thread: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

  1. #371
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I have yet to see any scientific study with good methodology that supports the assertion that it's a result of social environment. All the ones I have read about have been universally rejected by the scientific community as having extremely poor methodology.

    If I'm wrong, I'd be shocked, but please feel free to enlighten me if I am.
    I donít believe in God personally but I respect those who do and I would die for their right to practice faith in said god.

    I donít believe people are born gay either but I would lay my life down to protect gay rights in this county because both of these are my culture. Both of these are my heritage. I do not need to choose one over the other or hate people I disagree with.

    I do have a tendency to tell people who try to preach religion at me the same thing I am telling you. When you get some proof one way or another, Iíll jump on the wagon. Till then, I might give you a hard time if you keep trying to throw BS that isnít proof of anything in my face but I will respect and defend your right to think whatever kinda crazy crap you can come up with because this is what makes America so great. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree and then go dance because the song thatís playing now could end at any time.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  2. #372
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I do have a tendency to tell people who try to preach religion at me the same thing I am telling you. When you get some proof one way or another, Iíll jump on the wagon. Till then, I might give you a hard time if you keep trying to throw BS that isnít proof of anything in my face but I will respect and defend your right to think whatever kinda crazy crap you can come up with because this is what makes America so great. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree and then go dance because the song thatís playing now could end at any time.
    What is proof to you? Without even seeing my evidence, you have argued that it is faulty. While I admire your psychic abilities to scrutinize research of which you have not even seen, I have to wonder what constitutes proof to you. It sounds to me like you reject epigenetics outright so if, for at least some people, sexual orientation was caused by epigenetic factors you would reject it and pretend that it was their choice. I can't see how any degree of proof would work in that case. So what would it take to prove to you that sexual orientation was innate, at least for some people?
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 05-24-11 at 05:26 AM.

  3. #373
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I never said, "don't talk about it". If these questions are broached when a student is in the 11th of 12th grade, that is one thing. But, not kindergarten. Teaching such things in kindergarten smacks of indoctrination. That's not what grade school is for.
    But these are not the questions asked in kindergarden. Not even the ones proposed. Age appropriate is always a proper consideration, but by outlawing the word, anything to do with the reality, meaning we can't discuss Johnny having two moms or dads is overkill and quite frankly telling people what to think and not opening up appropriate discourse.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #374
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I'm not a Christian and I think gays decide to be gay just like children decide they do or don't like broccoli. Am I ignorant too?
    When did you choose? Did you comparison shop? Try both out to see what worked best for you? Kick the tires so to speak? Others have dealt with this well, but I would love to see sexuality as a real choice, meaning that all of us could go either way. If this is true, then we should be much freer to experiment and try than we appear to be. I have yet to meet anyone admitting to actually kicking the tires as it were. However, I do remember being 16. Man, that home education teacher was something. I had to stay seated more than once.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #375
    User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    So, instead of building public policy around the acceptance of all individuals and protecting the rights of homosexuals and their families, they work to silence the homosexual community and the children involved to "protect" them against bullies, thus making these children more insecure of their own surroundings in which they have little ability to change...looks to me like the bullies actually win this one. Sad.
    Last edited by IAW; 05-24-11 at 05:22 PM.

  6. #376
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I never said, "don't talk about it". If these questions are broached when a student is in the 11th of 12th grade, that is one thing. But, not kindergarten. Teaching such things in kindergarten smacks of indoctrination. That's not what grade school is for.
    Here we have a classic example of Right Wing All-Or-Nothing thinking in which choices/options are limited to those at one extreme or another. Also, the "teaching sex to kindergarten" is just thrown out there as if it were being actually being considered. Of course, no one is advocating teaching sexuality to kindergarteners, but explaining that in our modern society there different types of parents, some people are adopted and their parents loved them just as much--this is what this about.

    Reasonable people know that human sexuality needs to be taught at various age appropriate stages. 5th Grade boys and girls need to be taught that their bodies will start changing. H.S. Sophomores should be instructed on human reproduction, contraception, responsibility, and the laws concerning minors. -- A big part of this teaching should focus on respect for one's own body. The Christian Right's attempts to limit these subjects has resulted in more unwanted pregnancies and abortions.
    Last edited by hazlnut; 05-24-11 at 06:01 PM.

  7. #377
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,292

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But these are not the questions asked in kindergarden. Not even the ones proposed. Age appropriate is always a proper consideration, but by outlawing the word, anything to do with the reality, meaning we can't discuss Johnny having two moms or dads is overkill and quite frankly telling people what to think and not opening up appropriate discourse.
    I disagree..............

  8. #378
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,292

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Here we have a classic example of Right Wing All-Or-Nothing thinking in which choices/options are limited to those at one extreme or another. Also, the "teaching sex to kindergarten" is just thrown out there as if it were being actually being considered. Of course, no one is advocating teaching sexuality to kindergarteners, but explaining that in our modern society there different types of parents, some people are adopted and their parents loved them just as much--this is what this about.

    Reasonable people know that human sexuality needs to be taught at various age appropriate stages. 5th Grade boys and girls need to be taught that their bodies will start changing. H.S. Sophomores should be instructed on human reproduction, contraception, responsibility, and the laws concerning minors. -- A big part of this teaching should focus on respect for one's own body. The Christian Right's attempts to limit these subjects has resulted in more unwanted pregnancies and abortions.
    I don't think homosexuality should be taught in middle school, junior high, either. Not at all, prior to the 11th grade and probably not at all.

    School is for learning how to think, not what to think.

  9. #379
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't think homosexuality should be taught in middle school, junior high, either. Not at all, prior to the 11th grade and probably not at all.

    School is for learning how to think, not what to think.
    Not speaking of it is not thinking. So, you can't be for teaching them to think.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #380
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I disagree..............
    I know.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •