Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 470

Thread: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

  1. #331
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I'm not a Christian and I think gays decide to be gay just like children decide they do or don't like broccoli. Am I ignorant too?
    Are you arguing that you believe with absolute certainty that all gays decide to be gay or that all children decide whether they like or dislike broccoli?

    Because if you aren't, then you are a really poor comparison to a Christian, because they do hold their personal beliefs as absolute.

  2. #332
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    No. I believe in my belief, but I myself cannot say others are wrong and I am absolutely right. I decide to follow the Word of God. Hazlnut seems utterly convinced that he cannot be wrong. He has a belief as I do, yet we cannot absolutely prove them. If I were ignorant enough to deem everyone wrong...

    ...how then could I say I cannot prove my belief?
    Bullcrap.

    You hold the Bible as infallible.
    You personally believe in the Bible.
    Therefore, you hold your personal beliefs as infallible.

    Simple logic.

    You believe you cannot be wrong as long as you follow the Bible. It isn't any different than what you are accusing Hazulnut of doing.

  3. #333
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    If he does I hope he comes out on Nick Saban.
    He does seem a little stiff around jocks.


  4. #334
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Belief is the death of intelligence. You are unable to concretely prove your beliefs, same as I. We are not intelligent, MistressNomad. Can you scientifically prove your belief? Before you talk of animals, realize we are not animals.
    You didn't ask. I'll take your meaningless conjecture as a request, then. Unlike you, I don't "believe" things. I accept things that are actually true. And yes, we are animals. Your arrogance to the point of self-delusion is stunning. But I don't need to talk about other animals. Plenty of proof within our own species.

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    There is a mountain of proof? I must have missed the mountain. If it has been proven that people are born gay that means a genetic signature has been identified and a test can be performed at birth or even before birth.

    Mother can now choose to abort what would be a gay child now if what you say is true. Please show me this mountain of evidence.

    Who would choose to be gay? The kids who want to be different than others but don’t want to be all alone would be my first guess.
    Not necessarily genetics. At least, not of the child. I'm going to ignore your scary comment about mothers aborting gay fetuses. But either way, I doubt these traits would show up in a fetus.

    This article is a great catch-all to all of the various physical traits we have identified as being common in gay people. Links are in the article, take you to a variety of studies.
    Homosexuality in body, brain and behaviour Mind Hacks

    The suspected cause of homosexuality - certain types of hormonal exposure at gestation:
    Male hormone levels in womb may affect sexual orientation, study says - CNN

    ...Which also just so happens to explain some of the physical traits.

    If it affects your bone structure, it's not a choice.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 05-24-11 at 01:51 AM.

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Bullcrap.

    You hold the Bible as infallible.
    You personally believe in the Bible.
    Therefore, you hold your personal beliefs as infallible.

    Simple logic.

    You believe you cannot be wrong as long as you follow the Bible. It isn't any different than what you are accusing Hazulnut of doing.
    I believe the Bible to be true, but I acknowledge I cannot prove it. It is faith.

    Has hazlnut stated that he cannot prove his belief? Not yet, he has not. That is the difference.

    You should not speak on my behalf, criticalthought.

  6. #336
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Are you arguing that you believe with absolute certainty that all gays decide to be gay or that all children decide whether they like or dislike broccoli?

    Because if you aren't, then you are a really poor comparison to a Christian, because they do hold their personal beliefs as absolute.
    In the absence of proof to the contrary, yes, that is the natural order of things as Darwin would say.

    What happened to your mountain? Is this going to be long philosophical type of proof where there isnt any real proof?

    Just give me the name of the scientist that identified the genetic anomaly that determines people are gay before birth. That should be simple enough.

    Im pretty sure non-gay parents would like to know how to detect it ahead of time so they can abort gay fetuses before they become real people.

    This is an awesome breakthrough.

    Being a bit sacastic to point out hypocricy.
    Last edited by GPS_Flex; 05-24-11 at 01:57 AM.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    There is no such absolute scientific proof.

  8. #338
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    In the absence of proof to the contrary, yes, that is the natural order of things as Darwin would say.

    What happened to your mountain? Is this going to be long philosophical type of proof where there isn’t any real proof?

    Just give me the name of the scientist that identified the genetic anomaly that determines people are gay before birth. That should be simple enough.

    I’m pretty sure non-gay parents would like to know how to detect it ahead of time so they can abort gay fetuses before they become real people.

    This is an awesome breakthrough.

    Being a bit sacastic to point out hypocricy.
    Have I argued anything one way or another regarding the origins of homosexuality in this thread?

    All I have argued is that Wake, being a Christian, holds his personal beliefs as absolute and therefore it makes no sense to accuse someone else of doing the same thing.

    I'm also different than you. It sounds like you believe whatever you want to believe unless it meets a burden of proof that you set. You probably also change that burden as more evidence becomes apparent in order to sustain the unsubstantiated positive claim that you originally took. In other words, you decided one day that homosexuality is a choice without really any evidence to support that claim, and as more evidence has come to challenge that notion, you have simply moved the goal posts rather than reevaluate that belief. That is a typical uncritical response.

    But since you have brought it up. What is a choice? Do you even have a concrete definition by which to measure what does and does not meet that criteria, or is it simply some vague and abstract notion? Since you are arguing that it is somehow self evident that the natural course is that humans have a choice, perhaps you could explain exactly what that means.

  9. #339
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    You didn't ask. I'll take your meaningless conjecture as a request, then. Unlike you, I don't "believe" things. I accept things that are actually true. And yes, we are animals. Your arrogance to the point of self-delusion is stunning. But I don't need to talk about other animals. Plenty of proof within our own species.




    Not necessarily genetics. At least, not of the child. I'm going to ignore your scary comment about mothers aborting gay fetuses. But either way, I doubt these traits would show up in a fetus.

    This article is a great catch-all to all of the various physical traits we have identified as being common in gay people. Links are in the article, take you to a variety of studies.
    Homosexuality in body, brain and behaviour Mind Hacks

    The suspected cause of homosexuality - certain types of hormonal exposure at gestation:
    Male hormone levels in womb may affect sexual orientation, study says - CNN

    ...Which also just so happens to explain some of the physical traits.

    If it affects your bone structure, it's not a choice.

    You can’t be born “_____” (fill in the blank) unless genetics are the cause.


    If you want to point to anything other than that, you are as full of crap as the guy who believes it is a sin because his church tells him it is no?


    The statistics on anything else are hogwash if the claim is "people are born gay".

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  10. #340
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    You can’t be born “_____” (fill in the blank) unless genetics are the cause.
    Do you know what epigenetics are? How about congenital defects?

    Perhaps you should actually learn a little bit of biology before you try to engage in these kinds of debates.

Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •