Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 470

Thread: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

  1. #321
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,175

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I never said, "don't talk about it". If these questions are broached when a student is in the 11th of 12th grade, that is one thing. But, not kindergarten. Teaching such things in kindergarten smacks of indoctrination. That's not what grade school is for.
    Why not, exactly? We teach kindergartners about heterosexual relationships, in a very basic way. There is such a thing as age-appropriate discussion of relationships. And that's really what this is about - relationships, not just sex.

    What is so horrible about saying that sometimes people of the same sex love each other? Even to a kindergartner? They don't have crazy images of gay bondage parties running through their heads, like most people who freak out over Teh Gay do. They just see two men or women holding hands or hugging. The horror!!

    What exactly are you afraid of them being "indoctrinated" into? Being gay? You really think that's how it works? They hear of gayness before the age of 30 and *poof* they're gay in a burst of glitter?

    Or perhaps, "indoctrinated" into being ok with gay people? So maybe they won't grow up to beat the gay kids so bad they wind up in the hospital for a week, like they did at my high school? This was only a few years ago, by the way. In the suburb of a major city. Oh gee, what a shame. Whatever will we do if people stop thinking gay people are out to rape them at every turn?

    What exactly are they being indoctrinated into?
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 05-24-11 at 12:58 AM.

  2. #322
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Uh, you are a Christian. That means you hold your personal beliefs as absolute. You deem everyone wrong all the time based on your personal beliefs. Would that not make you ignorant?
    I'm not a Christian and I think gays decide to be gay just like children decide they do or don't like broccoli. Am I ignorant too?

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  3. #323
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,820

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    I just hope I'm still living when Al Gore comes out.
    If he does I hope he comes out on Nick Saban.

  4. #324
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,175

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I'm not a Christian and I think gays decide to be gay just like children decide they do or don't like broccoli. Am I ignorant too?
    Yes.

    And at this point, it's willful ignorance. The mountain of proof that proves you wrong is overwhelming. Besides, who would choose to be gay in this culture?

  5. #325
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Why not, exactly? We teach kindergartners about heterosexual relationships, in a very basic way. There is such a thing as age-appropriate discussion of relationships. And that's really what this is about - relationships, not just sex.

    What is so horrible about saying that sometimes people of the same sex love each other? Even to a kindergartner? They don't have crazy images of gay bondage parties running through their heads, like most people who freak out over Teh Gay do. They just see two men or women holding hands or hugging. The horror!!

    What exactly are you afraid of them being "indoctrinated" into? Being gay? You really think that's how it works? They hear of gayness before the age of 30 and *poof* they're gay in a burst of glitter?

    Or perhaps, "indoctrinated" into being ok with gay people? So maybe they won't grow up to beat the gay kids so bad they wind up in the hospital for a week, like they did at my high school? This was only a few years ago, by the way. In the suburb of a major city. Oh gee, what a shame. Whatever will we do if people stop thinking gay people are out to rape them at every turn?

    What exactly are they being indoctrinated into?
    What would that statement even mean to a kindergartner? And why do you assume they would get an image of two men holding hands? Why not one of their dad and uncle, bear-hugging at Christmas?

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Yes.

    And at this point, it's willful ignorance. The mountain of proof that proves you wrong is overwhelming. Besides, who would choose to be gay in this culture?
    Belief is the death of intelligence. You are unable to concretely prove your beliefs, same as I. We are not intelligent, MistressNomad. Can you scientifically prove your belief? Before you talk of animals, realize we are not animals.

  7. #327
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Yes.

    And at this point, it's willful ignorance. The mountain of proof that proves you wrong is overwhelming. Besides, who would choose to be gay in this culture?
    There is a mountain of proof? I must have missed the mountain.

    Who would choose to be gay? The kids who want to be different than others but don’t want to be all alone would be my first guess.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  8. #328
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Yes.

    And at this point, it's willful ignorance. The mountain of proof that proves you wrong is overwhelming. Besides, who would choose to be gay in this culture?
    There is a mountain of proof? I must have missed the mountain. If it has been proven that people are born gay that means a genetic signature has been identified and a test can be performed at birth or even before birth.

    Mother can now choose to abort what would be a gay child now if what you say is true. Please show me this mountain of evidence.


    Who would choose to be gay? The kids who want to be different than others but don’t want to be all alone would be my first guess.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  9. #329
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,175

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    What would that statement even mean to a kindergartner? And why do you assume they would get an image of two men holding hands? Why not one of their dad and uncle, bear-hugging at Christmas?
    Sure. Whatever. Just pointing out that it's not the apocolyspe if a kindergartner learns what gay is.

    It would probably mean the same thing to a kindergartner that it does when you say mommy and daddy love each other and that's why they're together. No much, in other words. That's the point.

  10. #330
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Sure. Whatever. Just pointing out that it's not the apocolyspe if a kindergartner learns what gay is.

    It would probably mean the same thing to a kindergartner that it does when you say mommy and daddy love each other and that's why they're together. No much, in other words. That's the point.
    "Mommy and daddy" means something to a child of 6. I'm not sure "two people of the same sex" does, in a marital sense.

    But yeah. Whatever.

Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •