Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 470

Thread: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

  1. #311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Funny, I don't see anything in the article that supports your conclusion. Seems to me, discussions about sexuality should be left to counselors (vs teachers) who are trained in this field.
    If that's true then you must also believe that parents are not qualified to teach their own children about sexuality, since they are not counsellors either.

    The basics of sex education are not difficult to grasp especially in the modern world. There is plenty of information available. Most young people can get much more information on the internet now than is available in whatever time block their sex ed class offers; and most young people know how to use the internet far more efficiently than adults do.

    So... it seems that sex ed in the classroom will be confined to reproductive anatomy as it always has been; in which case, we should change the name to "reproductive anatomy class", since the topic of sexuality can't possibly be just that.

    In Tennessee, conservative political correctness has won. It's no different than where liberal political correctness has won in CA. One is just responding to the other and in the end it only denies choices from the general public.
    Last edited by Temporal; 05-23-11 at 04:44 PM.

  2. #312
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Not everyone thinks homosexuality isn't wrong.
    That type of ignorance needs to be weeded out. It's not about religion or beliefs... It's about the FACT that sexual orientation is NOT a choice. Homophobia needs to called out just like any bigotry.

    Keep social issues out of academia. Do we teach our students about abortion at 4th grade? Perhaps gun control?
    No, but we do teach 4th graders that a person's skin color does not make them less of a person...



    Add this: what if public schools taught against it at the expense of your taxes? You probably wouldn't like that.
    Against intolerance... I support that.

    This is just like Global Warming, it's not about 'opinions" or "beliefs" anymore... STOP THE IGNORANCE.

  3. #313
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Why is it that most people for this law believe that this is mainly about teaching sex and sexual partner choices?

    Children start becoming attracted to each other at young ages, even during elementary school. Some of it may be simply imitation of adults, but that doesn't mean it isn't common. Many elementary school age children say that they have boyfriends or girlfriends. I had a boyfriend during 1st grade. We thought holding hands and kissing was icky but writing love letters to each other (they all said "I <3 U") and calling each other "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" was fine. It was harmless and sex never once crossed our minds. I know I wasn't even sure what sex was then. We also gave out valentines on Valentine's Day and sometimes you would give special valentines or notes to those you had a "crush" on, even in the very early grades. There are plenty of things that kids do that involve social interactions that are sort of watered-down versions of our romantic relationships (for the most part).

    Also, there are books for young readers and beginner readers that involve same sex couples and others that involve opposite sex couples. This law essentially says that it is ok to read the book about "mommy and daddy" but a teacher can't read the book about "mommy and mommy" because that might be discussing homosexuals, even if the book is just to help the kids learn to read.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Do not talk to me of ignorance, hazlnut. You are not absolute; your belief is not absolute fact. It is ignorance to deem one's self as right. Ironic, is it not?

  5. #315
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Do not talk to me of ignorance, hazlnut. You are not absolute; your belief is not absolute fact. It is ignorance to deem one's self as right. Ironic, is it not?
    Uh, you are a Christian. That means you hold your personal beliefs as absolute. You deem everyone wrong all the time based on your personal beliefs. Would that not make you ignorant?

  6. #316
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why is it that most people for this law believe that this is mainly about teaching sex and sexual partner choices?

    Children start becoming attracted to each other at young ages, even during elementary school. Some of it may be simply imitation of adults, but that doesn't mean it isn't common. Many elementary school age children say that they have boyfriends or girlfriends. I had a boyfriend during 1st grade. We thought holding hands and kissing was icky but writing love letters to each other (they all said "I <3 U") and calling each other "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" was fine. It was harmless and sex never once crossed our minds. I know I wasn't even sure what sex was then. We also gave out valentines on Valentine's Day and sometimes you would give special valentines or notes to those you had a "crush" on, even in the very early grades. There are plenty of things that kids do that involve social interactions that are sort of watered-down versions of our romantic relationships (for the most part).

    Also, there are books for young readers and beginner readers that involve same sex couples and others that involve opposite sex couples. This law essentially says that it is ok to read the book about "mommy and daddy" but a teacher can't read the book about "mommy and mommy" because that might be discussing homosexuals, even if the book is just to help the kids learn to read.
    Then let Heather's two mommies buy them to read to her at home. If the idea is to teach reading, why drag social conditioning into it?

  7. #317
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Uh, you are a Christian. That means you hold your personal beliefs as absolute. You deem everyone wrong all the time based on your personal beliefs. Would that not make you ignorant?
    No. I believe in my belief, but I myself cannot say others are wrong and I am absolutely right. I decide to follow the Word of God. Hazlnut seems utterly convinced that he cannot be wrong. He has a belief as I do, yet we cannot absolutely prove them. If I were ignorant enough to deem everyone wrong...

    ...how then could I say I cannot prove my belief?

  8. #318
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    This comes as a great surprise to many, but not to most football fans in the SEC. It is a well known fact that Tennessee has been a gay haven for years.

  9. #319
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Then let Heather's two mommies buy them to read to her at home. If the idea is to teach reading, why drag social conditioning into it?
    Exactly. What other demagoguery will be infused into our children's schools, fueled by our dollars? If you allow this, then you'd have to supply the other side lest you be deemed a malicious and biased hypocrite.
    Last edited by Wake; 05-24-11 at 12:57 AM.

  10. #320
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    This comes as a great surprise to many, but not to most football fans in the SEC. It is a well known fact that Tennessee has been a gay haven for years.
    I just hope I'm still living when Al Gore comes out.

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •