Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 470

Thread: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

  1. #281
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Feel free to educate me hazlnut. Explain how calling someone a homophobe is different than comparing them to Hitler or calling them a Nazi.
    In response to my request for clarification, hazlnut started a brand new thread in my honor. He sent me a private message entitled “My Answer to your question” and it contained the following link: EDITED

    You have to respect an argument as compelling as this whether you agree with it or not, no? (now I’m being sarcastic)
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 05-22-11 at 08:13 PM.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  2. #282
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not sure what you mean by socializing them, as socialization is a by product no matter what the curriculum is
    you may want to take that up with Captain Courtesy.

    However, as homosexuality exists, to talk about the world as it is is not out of the realm of education.
    that is a non-sequiter. Simply because people choose to interact in a certain way is not in and of itself justification for inclusion of a discussion about it in a K-8 curriculum.

    If we have a student who has two mommies, or two daddies, and we do have that, suggesting that we discuss that openly and in a way that fosters understanding is education. Ignroing it is the opposite of education.
    no, it is the lack of education. the opposite of education would require the destruction of knowledge. and I'm fine with that - there are lots things that the schools shouldn't be teaching, and certainly at the more impressionable k-8 level. religion, sexuality, politics, these are all examples of items that permeate our world that should be absent from an elementary school classroom.

    Frankly, a closed minded, hateful, few who foster things like this law is far more harmful than allowing free discourse, even among younger people
    indeed. that's why we need to have NAMBLA day in school. where young children can discuss and explore the goods and the bads that can come from having a "special friend".

    and the only possible reason parents would have a problem with this is if they are close-minded and hateful; and therefore their opinions don't count in this "representative society".

    It won't be the same kind of disciurse, rathe rudamentary to be sure, you know, Jane has tqo mom's, should we tease her?
    there doesn't need to be the first half of that. it comes down to "should we abuse jane for any reason" answer: no, and if you are caught doing so, you are disciplined.

  3. #283
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Nope your using the inaccurate term Rhetoric to an opinion that teaching homosexuality has no academic benefit it just wastes valuable school time and has kids NOT learning the information they really need to make the choices in their life.
    Its not only homosexuality its all the extraneous non academic nonsense They have crammed into the few hours a day kids actually have time to learn. Homosexuality has no business in the classroom its not a subject and its discriminatory against any other groups that dont suck up precious educational resources and get the same attention. Homosexuals are not unique in being different
    When you use the word "indoctrination" you are using anti-gay rhetoric... whether you are anti-gay or not.

    And I disagree. Information about human sexuality is not only academic, but certainly helpful for students making life choices, such as having sex, pregnancy, contraception, etc...
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #284
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Thats as false a rhetorical statement as any ive ever read on this forum...this proves that supporters of anything homosexual are absolutely unreasonable and unbending in their tyranical demands of I want what I want and I want it right now and you have to accept it. Your arguments are weak and full of barbs to try to defer from the actualy discussion. You make accusatory statements without merit, like this one "Seems like only folks like you make it a moral issue" seems like folks like you cant differentiate between a moral issue and an opinion that homosexuality has no academic value in schools and does not enhance the goal of academic achievement therefore it is in fact indoctrinating children to a specific special interest
    More nonsense. When you use anti-gay rhetoric like indoctriation, your argument become irrelevant. But please... prove indoctrination. First, you might want to try to define the word.

    Oh, and my accusatory statements have complete merit. You have done zero to disprove them.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #285
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Point is moot. Kindergartners through 8th grade shouldn't be taught sex. I'm in favor of the bill, and I think all non-academic matter should stay out of school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    We do not need tax-payer funded indoctrination. Would you want academic public schools teaching against homosexuality?
    These two posts indicate clearly a lack of understanding of this entire issue, and AGAIN, anti-gay rhetoric, whether one is actually anti-gay or not.

    Firstly, no one is teaching "sex" in school. This is an absurd statement. What is being taught is the existence of variation. There are several different races, there are several different religions, and there are several different sexual orientations. No one is teaching "sex" or "teaching homosexuality". Both of those assertions are idiotic.

    Secondly, no one is teaching "for" homosexuality. As I said, what is being taught is variation. Again, claiming that being for homosexuality is what is being taught is idiotic.

    And lastly, I don't think ANY of you know what the word indoctrination means. Define and then prove how it is happening.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #286
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    No, elementary schools should not teach tolerance. They should have strict rules that are strictly enforced.

    Elementary aged children do not need to be taught why the rules are there, they just need to know what the rules are and what the consequences are for breaking them.
    I strongly disagree with this. Children should always know the reason that a rule exists. We teach that to our children and fortunately, our daughters' teachers do the same. They will not only respect the rule more but will understand WHY they have to follow it. Also, adults should be good role models by doing what they tell their children (when appropriate). Children are far more likely to engage in behavior they SEE their parents engaging in rather than that their parents tell them to do.

    Children can understand far more than you give them credit for. Having said that, sex needs to stay out of elementary schools. U.S. schools already fail at teaching the basics. Focus on the basics and reforming the educational system to put an end to social promotion and get this politically correct crap out of schools. Tracking needs to be brought back in and if kids don't do their homework, they get 'zeros' not make-up assignments because they played basketball until 10pm and didn't do their homework... pathetic...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #287
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I strongly disagree with this. Children should always know the reason that a rule exists. We teach that to our children and fortunately, our daughters' teachers do the same. They will not only respect the rule more but will understand WHY they have to follow it. Also, adults should be good role models by doing what they tell their children (when appropriate). Children are far more likely to engage in behavior they SEE their parents engaging in rather than that their parents tell them to do.

    Children can understand far more than you give them credit for. Having said that, sex needs to stay out of elementary schools. U.S. schools already fail at teaching the basics. Focus on the basics and reforming the educational system to put an end to social promotion and get this politically correct crap out of schools. Tracking needs to be brought back in and if kids don't do their homework, they get 'zeros' not make-up assignments because they played basketball until 10pm and didn't do their homework... pathetic...
    If you, as a parent, set a rule and take the time to explain the reason for that rule, my hat is off to you. I do the same with my children. I was speaking in the context of our public schools teaching such values to our K-6 children however.

    This is not something that should be a part of the public education curriculum in my humble opinion. If my Johnny kicks a girl in the shin on the playground, I expect the school to discipline him, inform me of his behavior and then leave the bulk of the explanation for why it is wrong to kick girls up to me. If the teacher or a school employee gives an explanation for why it is wrong to kick girls after Johnny has broken the rules, I won’t trip on it and there should be no legal recourse for parents who would trip on it unless something really egregious occurs.

    However, if a public school decides to spend an hour teaching that it is wrong for boys to kick girls, I do have a problem with that. When we resign to the idea that the government should teach our children basic morality, we have forfeited the right to teach our children the values that we, as parents, deem appropriate and/or inappropriate. It is equivalent to state sponsored religion in my opinion.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    When you use the word "indoctrination" you are using anti-gay rhetoric... whether you are anti-gay or not.
    Watch out, be careful not to call anti-gay folks homophobic, because then you're hyperbolic and acting like a Hitler Nazi... or some such nonsense.

    The anti-gay people, overt or otherwise, hate that word "homophobia"...

  9. #289
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    When you use the word "indoctrination" you are using anti-gay rhetoric... whether you are anti-gay or not.

    And I disagree. Information about human sexuality is not only academic, but certainly helpful for students making life choices, such as having sex, pregnancy, contraception, etc...
    in third grade?

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tenn. Senate OKs ban on teaching of homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Watch out, be careful not to call anti-gay folks homophobic, because then you're hyperbolic and acting like a Hitler Nazi... or some such nonsense.

    The anti-gay people, overt or otherwise, hate that word "homophobia"...
    It is an untrue statement. It ignores the fact that traditional Christians view homosexuality as a sin. They hate the sin, not the sinner. They believe all have sinned. No exceptions. That is all.

    Are you truly Christian? If not, could you at least not unfairly label dislike of sin with hate of the person? That is all it is. True Christians are against adultery and prostitution. Are they misogynistic bigots? If not, why then?

Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •