Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

  1. #31
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    And none of these things have anything to do with the issues concerning the incident that is the topic of this thread.
    This issue I'm discussing is at what point - and based on what info - do they determine whether a parent should be / should not be present when a child is being questioned.

    Reported cases of child abuse with suspicion of the parent?
    Veiled threats which suggest that *maybe* the parents is planning harm?
    Any other situation in which the presense of a parent might inhibit and supress the child's telling of events or the situation?

    I think this situation that we are discussing qualifies as a case in which the parent should not be present because their presence might inhibit the child from telling the truth or giving reliable information - especially when things such as facebook and the internet is concerned.

    But - I think, regarding this situation, they should have evaluated the situation more carefully and - in all such situations in which the parent/guardian is determined to not need to be present then there should be (needs to be) a set of regulations, rules and steps to follow. . . which they did none of.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #32
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Why not?

    I'm sorry - but parents aren't always the best people ot have present because parents aren't perfect.

    But having an investigator alone with a child isn't wise, either. So I do feel that if a parent isn't preferred to be present because he/she might be a concern then a human-services or other some such individual should be present to ensure that the child's rights aren't being trampled in the process.
    I'll almost go along with this one, but in reality who is to judge, on a moments notice that the parent isnt fit....

    There is absolutely no way the friggin secret service should question a child without the parent being there, under any circumstances before the parent is somehow deemed unfit unequivicably.

    If they spoke to my child without me being there they better be gone when I did get there, otherwise, and I'm sure they would have no problem with doing, they would be taking me away in cuffs with bruises and blood and broken bones to go around.
    and the press would see all of this after I got my say in public.
    We would be national news for a week.

    you dont mess with peoples children

  3. #33
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    When I was 17 I got caught in the courtyard of my friend's apartment drinking "bitch beer" one night during spring break. Being 2 in at that point I wasn't drunk or even tipsy, but I was certainly breaking the law. The cops collected our IDS, read us our rights, and proceeded to question us regarding where we got the alcohol and what we had been doing before they arrived.

    Luckily, because we weren't doing anything else wrong, they just made us pour out the rest of our alcohol and told us to find sober rides home.

    In any case, we were questioned without parents or gaurdians present. The cops didn't threaten us, weren't jerks, didn't use force against us. They didn't try to intimidate us or put us in cuffs...but they never called a parent or requested one, either. Is that more or less "terrible" than what happened to this kid?

    None of the articles I've read mention the tone of the agents, what kind of questions were asked, or whether or not the kid was ever detained in suspicion of a crime. Of course the articles say they "interrogated" the child, but that is based off of the mother's assertions, who is angry and probably a little hyperbolic right now. If they had "Interviewed" the child, would it change things? If a transcript was released would it change things?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #34
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    When I was 17 I got caught in the courtyard of my friend's apartment drinking "bitch beer" one night during spring break. Being 2 in at that point I wasn't drunk or even tipsy, but I was certainly breaking the law. The cops collected our IDS, read us our rights, and proceeded to question us regarding where we got the alcohol and what we had been doing before they arrived.

    Luckily, because we weren't doing anything else wrong, they just made us pour out the rest of our alcohol and told us to find sober rides home.

    In any case, we were questioned without parents or gaurdians present. The cops didn't threaten us, weren't jerks, didn't use force against us. They didn't try to intimidate us or put us in cuffs...but they never called a parent or requested one, either. Is that more or less "terrible" than what happened to this kid?

    None of the articles I've read mention the tone of the agents, what kind of questions were asked, or whether or not the kid was ever detained in suspicion of a crime. Of course the articles say they "interrogated" the child, but that is based off of the mother's assertions, who is angry and probably a little hyperbolic right now. If they had "Interviewed" the child, would it change things? If a transcript was released would it change things?
    totally different scenario,

    if this kid had broken any laws, and could have been charged in any way that would be totally different,
    the LAW is what I am trying to defend here, that and common decency..

    I'm in no way saying this kid shouldnt have been questioned for his actions, nor am I saying if there was an immediate perceived threat that he should have been placed under surveilence even..

    but at 13, you deserve, we expect, that the parents would be brought in immediately and before any type of interrogation..
    and if the secret service takes you into a room alone, thats an interrogation any way you slice it.

  5. #35
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Agreed - there should be extensive procedures that one much go throug before they're permitted to question an uneraged teen or child without the parent being present.

    It's a grey-area that just hasn't had much legal focus or legislative action.

    If we look at it logically in other areas which have received extensive focus and decision-making:

    An underaged individual is classifed as an infant in the eyes of the law - and being so is by default determined unable to enter into a legal binding contract and any and all contracts are to be null and void in the event of an issue - regardless of the passage of time.

    Ergo - what applies to business should apply to legal procedures, including interrogations. . . if one cannot legally buy a car due to age then one should not legally provide testimony unless proper consent has been sought and granted per examination and judgment. In this regard we can use obtaining a search warrant as an example: must have evidence that the individual is connected to said event with sufficient pre-existing evidence to net such judicial and legal action.

    In this case *what if* they had the wrong kid? Could have happened VERY easily - it's online *shrug*

    If a parent is considered a 'toxic asset' in an investigation they should be required to prove that, first - and then pursue the matter.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #36
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    This issue I'm discussing is at what point - and based on what info - do they determine whether a parent should be / should not be present when a child is being questioned.

    Reported cases of child abuse with suspicion of the parent?
    Veiled threats which suggest that *maybe* the parents is planning harm?
    Any other situation in which the presense of a parent might inhibit and supress the child's telling of events or the situation?

    I think this situation that we are discussing qualifies as a case in which the parent should not be present because their presence might inhibit the child from telling the truth or giving reliable information - especially when things such as facebook and the internet is concerned.

    But - I think, regarding this situation, they should have evaluated the situation more carefully and - in all such situations in which the parent/guardian is determined to not need to be present then there should be (needs to be) a set of regulations, rules and steps to follow. . . which they did none of.
    I understand your point that there may be times when the parent shouldn't be called in when law enforcement interviews a minor.

    However, that still doesn't mean a child can't have a guardian ad litem present to represent their interests. In cases in which there is a conflict of interest between the parent and a child, then a guardian can be appointed to represent the interests of the child.

    So my point is that the intersts of a child must be protected, whether it be by a parent (which is most cases) or a guardian ad litem (when a parent cannot adequately represent the interests of a child).
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  7. #37
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I understand your point that there may be times when the parent shouldn't be called in when law enforcement interviews a minor.

    However, that still doesn't mean a child can't have a guardian ad litem present to represent their interests. In cases in which there is a conflict of interest between the parent and a child, then a guardian can be appointed to represent the interests of the child.

    So my point is that the intersts of a child must be protected, whether it be by a parent (which is most cases) or a guardian ad litem (when a parent cannot adequately represent the interests of a child).
    I agree completely - they need to determine a set of procedures to follow and require 100% faith to those, which should include probably cause or solid reason for the concern and a liason, etc.

    Absolutely.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •