Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

  1. #11
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    and its interesting that both posts so far mention a political affiliation having something to do with it
    I was just playing "cover my ass" before someone stormed in and accused me of being okay with threats to a Republican President. I've seen it happen too many times on these boards...

  2. #12
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,099

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Mommy and Daddy probably never knew what the kid was saying on Facebook, maybe we should be upset with the parents for allowing their child to roam freely on the internet and say whatever he want's.

    IIRC Facebook does not have parental controls built into the system and if he wants to be a man and say big things then he should be able to explain himself to the adults.

    This is nothing more than another parenting fail IMO.

    Besides it kind of shows that folks are watching/listening to the rhetoric/potential threats etc, good for us.

    BTW 13 is about the right age for Guantanamo if I understand things correctly.

  3. #13
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I guess it depends on the approach.

    "hey kid, did you post this status on facebook?"
    "that? yeah...I just thought he was at risk, ya know?"
    "Right. And you're attending (whatever school) and the records say you're 13?"
    "Yes sir".
    "Alright, thanks for your concern for Obama, have a nice day"

    and

    "tell us what you know, maggot scum!!! f*cking talk!!!"

    Completely different.
    Exactly. The word "interrogated" takes on such negative connotations. I could walk up to someone and ask if the bus stops at a particular corner, and technically you could say I "interrogated" them.

    Should they have called the parents? Probably. But it's not necessarily something to get all in a lather about.

  4. #14
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    To be perfectly fair, the kid did say that Obama should "watch out for suicide bombers." The Secret Service should at least follow up anything that is remotely a threat to the President. If they didn't, and Obama did get killed, we'd be berating them for not doing their job.

    (and I think that's true no matter what party the President belongs to.)
    The problem isn't that the Secret Service investigated a potential threat. I TOTALLY understand and support that.

    What I am opposed to is the Secret Service questioning a minor without a guardian to represent his interests. That should not be happening.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  5. #15
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I guess it depends on the approach.

    "hey kid, did you post this status on facebook?"
    "that? yeah...I just thought he was at risk, ya know?"
    "Right. And you're attending (whatever school) and the records say you're 13?"
    "Yes sir".
    "Alright, thanks for your concern for Obama, have a nice day"

    and

    "tell us what you know, maggot scum!!! f*cking talk!!!"

    Completely different.
    I don't think it matters. Parents are incredibly protective of their children. And considering how harsh our criminal system is, I understand why a parent would be angry that their child was questioned without their presence.

    They should have either waited for a parent or issued a guardian ad litem to be present with the child. It doesn't matter if it was a friendly questioning or a harsh interrogation. They should do it at the very least to cover their asses against lawsuits like this agent opened up to them.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #16
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I don't think it matters. Parents are incredibly protective of their children. And considering how harsh our criminal system is, I understand why a parent would be angry that their child was questioned without their presence.

    They should have either waited for a parent or issued a guardian ad litem to be present with the child. It doesn't matter if it was a friendly questioning or a harsh interrogation. They should do it at the very least to cover their asses against lawsuits like this agent opened up to them.
    I would say that many parents are incredibly protective, and another significant handful act as if a child is a goldfish who requires little attention or care.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  7. #17
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I would say that many parents are incredibly protective, and another significant handful act as if a child is a goldfish who requires little attention or care.
    Either way, it really doesn't matter. Children are considered legally minors because they don't fully understand their rights and liberties nor their civic responsibilities. Regardless of what kind of parenting they get they should not be questioned by a law enforcement authority without a guardian present to protect the interests of the child.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #18
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Either way, it really doesn't matter. Children are considered legally minors because they don't fully understand their rights and liberties nor their civic responsibilities. Regardless of what kind of parenting they get they should not be questioned by a law enforcement authority without a guardian present to protect the interests of the child.
    Since we're discussing their best interest let me ask this: Do you support a 13 year old girl having access to abortion services without the guidance/awareness of her guardian? Just trying to grasp the big picture, here.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #19
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Since we're discussing their best interest let me ask this: Do you support a 13 year old girl having access to abortion services without the guidance/awareness of her guardian? Just trying to grasp the big picture, here.
    I support mandatory state-funded birth control for minors, male and female. I also support licensing and mandatory school requirements in order to conceive a child.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  10. #20
    User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Last Seen
    08-22-11 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    32

    Re: Secret service questions teen without parents being present

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    To be perfectly fair, the kid did say that Obama should "watch out for suicide bombers." The Secret Service should at least follow up anything that is remotely a threat to the President. If they didn't, and Obama did get killed, we'd be berating them for not doing their job.

    (and I think that's true no matter what party the President belongs to.)
    Law enforcement agencies still have laws and guidelines to follow, they had no right to question a minor without parents being present.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •