Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,944

    Re: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

    This screams of propoganda being deciminated to me. The middle of the story has a link to their collection of information on the "Iranian Threat" which in and of itself makes me question it. Furthermore, it seems either JPost is amazingly lucky to find this information first or that no other legitimate news station outside of the borders of Israel finds it valid enough to pick up. Things like News Max and Above Top Secret are the only other things picking it up.

    JPost is a legitimate source, but when its not being echoed by anything else legitimate...and given JPosts obvious views towards Iran based on their banned link...it makes me think this looks more like propoganda being pushed out over the wires in Israel than any kind of legitimate news story. Perhaps I'll get worried about the notion if it gain enough traction to suggset that it has some actual validity towards it. As it stands, getting worried about this story would be like getting worried that winter is coming and horrible ice creatures are going to flood down into the US from Canada and kill us all.

  2. #12
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

    The use of stealth choppers, violating a country's sovereignty, provoking or calling out dictators to step down or else be killed/assassinated are not helping ease the tensions. On the contrary, it will accelerate the output of their (rebel states) means of nuclear production.

    The US has gone down (and still is) a path in which the use of force has become a chronic feature of U.S. foreign policy. This practice must stop

  3. #13
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    This screams of propoganda being deciminated to me. The middle of the story has a link to their collection of information on the "Iranian Threat" which in and of itself makes me question it. Furthermore, it seems either JPost is amazingly lucky to find this information first or that no other legitimate news station outside of the borders of Israel finds it valid enough to pick up. Things like News Max and Above Top Secret are the only other things picking it up.

    JPost is a legitimate source, but when its not being echoed by anything else legitimate...and given JPosts obvious views towards Iran based on their banned link...it makes me think this looks more like propoganda being pushed out over the wires in Israel than any kind of legitimate news story. Perhaps I'll get worried about the notion if it gain enough traction to suggset that it has some actual validity towards it. As it stands, getting worried about this story would be like getting worried that winter is coming and horrible ice creatures are going to flood down into the US from Canada and kill us all.
    the source as stated is Die Welt, 5/13.
    http://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/a...ungsphase.html

    Others are Slowly picking it up.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=1920&bih=1067

    die welt missiles - Google Search
    Last edited by mbig; 05-17-11 at 03:48 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,944

    Re: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

    So....

    Daily caller, Hertiage.org, Assoc. Content, hot air blog, free republic....

    So far I can find the closest to a legitimate news agency reporting this outside of JPost is an opinion article on Fox News, an opinion article on the Miami Herald, and a link back from the community blogs section of the washington times to "israel times".

    From what I can find from the translated version of Die Welt is that the source for Die Welt's story seems to be...Die Welt online O.o

    I stand by my previous comment. Perhaps if a few legitimate news organizations, and at least one that isn't obviously a significantly conservative or israeli leaning source, actually start picking this up and verifying it than I may begin to believe the validity of this. As it stands, nothing you provided was anything different than I already saw....a bunch of right-wing blogs echoing the same story without any other major source verifying it.

    Yeah, not a good thing if it turns out to be true...but I'm not going to get my feathers ruffled or my blood boiling before there's any kind of believable evidence out there that its likely to be true.

  5. #15
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

    But you were blaming the "amazingly lucky" Jpost.
    Welt may have it wrong-- but I wouldn't blame Jpost for picking up what is clearly of interest to it's readers/Israelis.
    Last edited by mbig; 05-17-11 at 03:54 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  6. #16
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

    Robert M. Morgenthau: The Emerging Axis of Iran and Venezuela - WSJ.com
    SEPTEMBER 8, 2009
    The prospect of Iranian missiles in South America should not be dismissed.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,944

    Re: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

    Why yes, a WSJ opinion piece from the son of jewish immigrants from Germany suggesting that we not dismiss something negative about Iran.

    Well color me shocked. I would've expected him to go "Completely dismiss any notion of Iran possibly threatening the west".

    It wouldn't shock me in the least if the story turns out to be true, nor would I suggest people that have the ability to honestly invistage this simply dismiss it. What I am saying is I'm not going to treat it like trut, or get up in arms about it, or have a big discussion about it until there's actual some legitimate seeming validity to the story. Of which, in my opinion, there isn't yet.

    You're right, my initial notion that it was found out by the JPost was incorrect, it seems from the best I can translate (and adimttedly taht's poor) Die Welt found it out from...Die Welt? And JPost, supposedly a legitimate news source, was the only legitimate news source to seemingly jump on it as news because it apparently went wonderful with their journalistically sound cataloging of the "Iranian Threat" that they broadcast with a banner right through the middle of the story.

  8. #18
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Robert M. Morgenthau: The Emerging Axis of Iran and Venezuela - WSJ.com
    SEPTEMBER 8, 2009
    The prospect of Iranian missiles in South America should not be dismissed.
    An Axis of Evil????
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #19
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I have no idea what we can do to put a stop to this other than arrange a massive accident that would reduce the sited to rubble.
    We can't just sit around when they have said they are going to get us.
    Don't be such a worry wort. It took Iran 6 years to develop enough power to run a nuclear power plant, and as everybody with a brain knows, it takes ten times more operating centrifuges to make it weapons grade.

    ricksfolly

  10. #20
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: 'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    The US has gone down (and still is) a path in which the use of force has become a chronic feature of U.S. foreign policy. This practice must stop
    You or I not being privy to top secret foreign policy, can't possibly know what is going on. All we can do is make uneducated guesses and hope for the best...

    Our power to make things happen stops at the ends of our finger tips.

    ricksfolly

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •