Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 119

Thread: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Nope! As usual, your position and therefore your argument lacks economic validity which is a shame given the topic. Address my comments or leave me alone, i am not here to argue on the basis of opinion and ideology.
    As long as your thinking is wrong, so to will your conclusions be.

  2. #102
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

    You know what I don't get? Liberals use the argument that going after our own oil will take too long to get to market to make a difference, yet the alternatives to oil will take as long, if not longer to replace it. But, in the meantime, I guess the vast majority of the country that are like me, in the middle class can just eat it while they destroy the economy, forcing us to do what they want, and they don't even know for a certainty if it will work...

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #103
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, you can think that if you like, and rail is used pretty much to capacity now in the current infrastructure that exists. However, if rail is ramped up further, and destroys more good jobs, what will you do with those truckers then?

    See, I am of the mindset that a switch to more Natural Gas type truck will be devoloped in the future.

    j-mac
    Well, building the rails, the trains, the power lines, and the new power plants would create plenty of jobs in the short term. In the long term, I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't try to halt technological progress to save old jobs. Our system needs to conform to technology, not the other way around.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  4. #104
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Well, building the rails, the trains, the power lines, and the new power plants would create plenty of jobs in the short term. In the long term, I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't try to halt technological progress to save old jobs. Our system needs to conform to technology, not the other way around.

    How is going rail, an advance? That was how goods were shipped before the interstate system, which was at least partially built for trucking goods in the first place. Second, the average trucker is like me, a little older, no collage, and has 20 years OTR experience, now you want me to pick up a pick axe and start driving RR ties? Yeah, I don't think so.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #105
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You know what I don't get? Liberals use the argument that going after our own oil will take too long to get to market to make a difference, yet the alternatives to oil will take as long, if not longer to replace it. But, in the meantime, I guess the vast majority of the country that are like me, in the middle class can just eat it while they destroy the economy, forcing us to do what they want, and they don't even know for a certainty if it will work...

    j-mac
    What gets me is that no one seems to understand that if we start drilling now it will be years before it makes a difference.

    Okay I agree but two things I have to repeat.

    1. How long will it take if we never start? This is a no brainer, some people are really dumb-asses.

    2. The news that we are going to go after the reserves we have that exceed the Saudi's will cause them to drop the price to try to keep us from drilling because it would eventually put them on the sideline.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

    There's no evidence that increasing the domestic supply will lower oil prices. Oil prices have consistently risen unabated. Many of the sharpest increases in the past 10 years are due to speculation and nothing more. Even when the speculation is wrong, the prices do not re-adjust to lower levels. If the U.S. acquires more oil, it will just be more oil at the same price, unless the government actively creates a price ceiling... but the government will never regulate the oil industry in that way.

    The other thing is, the consumption of oil is increasing exponentially while we are having to look harder and harder for areas of new supply. We have three wars in the Middle East, a haphazard offshore drilling plan, sights set on protected Alaskan regions, and a slew of nations who are salivating at the opportunity to explore the arctic once the Bering Strait fully melts.

    No matter how much oil we find, it will never be enough to support the man-made consumer growth model. Eventually "growth" must stop or at least change in the way it happens; but how insane will the oil industry and our government become in trying to sustain this system?

    It's true... we are all being held hostage by this industry.

  7. #107
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    There's no evidence that increasing the domestic supply will lower oil prices.
    On the contrary. There is not only proof as recent as a few years ago when Bush announced he was going to open up drilling, then there is common sense as well.

    Oil prices have consistently risen unabated.
    This statement is a pure lie. Oil has arrived at the price it is now due, along with other factors, through a series of peaks, and falls in pricing.

    Many of the sharpest increases in the past 10 years are due to speculation and nothing more.
    Yes, and speculation is a necessary part of business concerning oil.

    Even when the speculation is wrong, the prices do not re-adjust to lower levels.
    On this you are yet wrong again. Ever heard the term, 'rise like a rocket, fall like a feather'? Ask someone who knows about business.

    f the U.S. acquires more oil, it will just be more oil at the same price, unless the government actively creates a price ceiling...
    You mean like Carter did, and caused artificial shortages...Wow!

    but the government will never regulate the oil industry in that way.
    Already tried that one, huge failure.....Needless pain to the people.

    The other thing is, the consumption of oil is increasing exponentially while we are having to look harder and harder for areas of new supply.

    Another falsehood. The US's demand recently has dropped do to Obama's failed economy.

    We have three wars in the Middle East
    How many has Obama stopped?

    a haphazard offshore drilling plan
    Who threw, and continues to hamper this?....Obama

    sights set on protected Alaskan regions
    You mean the vast wasteland that we only want to use the size of a postage stamp out of an area the size of a parking lot?

    and a slew of nations who are salivating at the opportunity to explore the arctic once the Bering Strait fully melts.
    I am betting that Obama would let them too.

    No matter how much oil we find, it will never be enough to support the man-made consumer growth model.
    Yes, humans are the problem....

    Eventually "growth" must stop
    Wow! scary ignorant dude.

    or at least change in the way it happens
    Don't fool with things you have no idea what they are, or if they are not broken.

    but how insane will the oil industry and our government become in trying to sustain this system?
    We should exterminate humans, that would solve the problem.....

    It's true... we are all being held hostage by this industry.
    Then you should start by not using anything linked to oil at all. K? Talk to ya when you figure it out....

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #108
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production - FoxNews.com

    WASHINGTON -- Seeking to address mounting criticism over high gas prices, President Obama is directing his administration to ramp up U.S. oil production by extending existing leases in the Gulf of Mexico and off Alaska's coast and holding more frequent lease sales in a federal petroleum reserve in Alaska.

    snip


    His announcement followed passage in the Republican-controlled House of three bills -- including two this week -- that would expand and speed up offshore oil and gas drilling. Republicans say the bills are aimed at easing gasoline costs, but they also acknowledge that won't be immediate
    I do not support deep off shore oil drilling because if a leak does happen it will takes weeks or longer to close it off. That said he should open up ANWR, maybe see if deep off shore oil can be reached from oil rigs on shore.

    That said I do not trust him to do anything about the oil. Because usually ever lib against oil drilling uses the excuse we won't see results for ten more year which they said ten years ago and possibly ten years prior to that and so on.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #109
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Exactly. I have no idea why this is so hard to grasp. Canada's tar sands are the largest oil deposit on earth and yet our gas prices are much higher than in the US.
    Isn't that in large part due to taxes?

  10. #110
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: With Gas Prices Soaring, Obama Looks to Ramp Up U.S. Oil Production

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    Isn't that in large part due to taxes?
    It's more due to the fact that the US government gives enormous subsidies to keep oil cheap.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •