Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military chap

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You would have a point if, and only if, allowing military chaplains perform SSM's in any way breaking the law. Since that is not the case, you have no point here.
    The problem is that, as things are today, a SS couple would breaking other laws against homosexual conduct by seeking a SSM. The Chaplin performing the marriage would be required to report the couple to their chain or command for court martial. That's the wrinkle which needs to be ironed out.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-13-11 at 01:02 AM.

  2. #42
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So your saying Marriage is not a social issue.

    Are you saying Marriage is a national defense issue, because we're talking about military?
    Hrmm, did not bother to wait for the explanation, but in fact separated this out to question it even though I provided an explanation right after it in the same post. Kinda dishonest tactics there.

    Marriage being a state issue does not define what kind of issue it is (ie social, fiscal, national defense, etc), only what form of jurisdiction regulates it.

    I saw nothing in the OP or it's article where the Navy specifically stipulated that Sailors who's ports-of-call are in States which not offer SSM, would be denied a SSM by a military Chaplin.
    Ah, assume I am talking about the part of your comments that I was not responsive to, and then claim I was not responsive, but did not notice my comments directly addressed the other part of your comment.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Hrmm, did not bother to wait for the explanation, but in fact separated this out to question it even though I provided an explanation right after it in the same post. Kinda dishonest tactics there.



    Ah, assume I am talking about the part of your comments that I was not responsive to, and then claim I was not responsive, but did not notice my comments directly addressed the other part of your comment.
    I don't see how your post answers my requests for clarity of your argument, or advance the discussion in any way.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-13-11 at 04:41 PM.

  4. #44
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,943

    Re: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The problem is that, as things are today, a SS couple would breaking other laws against homosexual conduct by seeking a SSM. The Chaplin performing the marriage would be required to report the couple to their chain or command for court martial. That's the wrinkle which needs to be ironed out.
    Why do you keep repeating this? It was covered a page or two ago that chaplains being able to perform same sex marriages was contingent on the official repeal of DADT, which is the only rule against gays in the military or being involved in a same sex relationship, and is most likely happening around August.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why do you keep repeating this?
    Because the law I quoted is not a part of DADT or DOMA. DADT is NOT the only law against gays marrying, that's where you're critically wrong.

    If future legislation is going to address 601-23, fine, but that wasn't clarified at the time I made that post, so there's the answer to your question.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-14-11 at 12:20 AM.

  6. #46
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Because the law I quoted is not a part of DADT or DOMA. DADT is NOT the only law against gays marrying, that's where you're critically wrong.

    If future legislation is going to address 601-23, fine, but that wasn't clarified at the time I made that post, so there's the answer to your question.
    And that has already been covered too. It is part of the repeal process of DADT, and was specifically covered by the action plan for that repeal.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And that has already been covered too. It is part of the repeal process of DADT, and was specifically covered by the action plan for that repeal.
    Right, so what's left to discuss?

    Chaplains getting advanced training, now not going to get advanced training....like it was going to effect gays either way.

    So some Righties played some dirty pool.....welcome to politics, Lefties aren't innocent either.

    **** both houses.

  8. #48
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military chapLet's all knock off the trolling and stick to the topic.
    You're trying to ruin our perfect record.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #49
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why do you hate our servicemen and women?

    How do you get hate for serviceman by being against homosexual marriage by military chaplains...I dont get that redress

  10. #50
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: U.S. Navy reverses decision to allow same-sex marriages by chaplains at military

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    How do you get hate for serviceman by being against homosexual marriage by military chaplains...I dont get that redress
    Because there are gay, servicemen, and women, and they should be able to have a religious military ceremony if they want to, and the chaplain is willing.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •