Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 177

Thread: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

  1. #51
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm not saying I like the idea of burning the flag, but based on the permissions granted to douche bag #2, I would have to assume that douche bag #1s arrest was tied to other actions than just the fact that he was burning the flag.
    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'd like to point out that for a Muslim, attacking or harming the Qu'ran is a far larger offense than attacking a Muslim. It does nothing but religiously justify their calls for jihad against the perpetrater (pretty much any white Christian, in that case).
    On one hand you're not saying anything against flag burning, and on the other hand you're saying burning a Quran justifies a call for jihad. Whose side are you on?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #52
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    On one hand you're not saying anything against flag burning, and on the other hand you're saying burning a Quran justifies a call for jihad. Whose side are you on?
    I'm saying that a Muslim will view the burning of the Qu'ran as an attack against Allah, which is a justification for a call of Jihad against those instigating the attack. I'm not saying I'm for or against burning the Qu'ran, I'm saying that there are things to consider.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #53
    Student TheGreatSandeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    192

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Is he making money off of being a gigantic douche?
    Who says you have to make money?

  4. #54
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSandeno View Post
    Who says you have to make money?
    I don't see the whole country hating you as being successful. My idea of a successful troll is someone who is actually funny.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #55
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,722

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm saying that a Muslim will view the burning of the Qu'ran as an attack against Allah, which is a justification for a call of Jihad against those instigating the attack. I'm not saying I'm for or against burning the Qu'ran, I'm saying that there are things to consider.
    The mother or children of a soldier that died defending the country might take offense to a flag burning. Im saying there are things to consider.

  6. #56
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    My idea of a successful troll is someone who is actually funny.
    Or cute.

    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #57
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The mother or children of a soldier that died defending the country might take offense to a flag burning. Im saying there are things to consider.
    It's hard to compare the two. The flag is a symbol of your birth place. The Qu'ran is a symbol of your entire ideology, life style, religious means of existence. We (Americans) tend to be a bit more practical about symbolic gestures designed to offend. Somebody burns a flag and typically we're reasonable enough to say "wait, that isn't me they're burning in effigy there". A Muslim (especially a radical) isn't likely to make that distinction.

    We don't have to respond to the idiocy of others, and they have every right to be an idiot. But if what you're doing is likely to cause physical harm to other people, it should be considered. Burning a Qu'ran could lead to physical harm against white christians world-wide. Burning the flag isn't likely to lead to any physical harm to anybody (unless some idiot punches the guy burning the flag).
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #58
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Or cute.

    Trolls have no genitals. How the **** are there so many of them around?
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #59
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,722

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    It's hard to compare the two. The flag is a symbol of your birth place. The Qu'ran is a symbol of your entire ideology, life style, religious means of existence. We (Americans) tend to be a bit more practical about symbolic gestures designed to offend. Somebody burns a flag and typically we're reasonable enough to say "wait, that isn't me they're burning in effigy there". A Muslim (especially a radical) isn't likely to make that distinction.

    We don't have to respond to the idiocy of others, and they have every right to be an idiot. But if what you're doing is likely to cause physical harm to other people, it should be considered. Burning a Qu'ran could lead to physical harm against white christians world-wide. Burning the flag isn't likely to lead to any physical harm to anybody (unless some idiot punches the guy burning the flag).
    Not hard if you are the parent of a child who has died in the service and who had been given, as the most sacred token of respect, a flag flown in that soldiers honor over the nations capital. Not hard if it was your partner. Not hard if you were a child who lost a father or mother. Its all a matter of perspective. to some the flag means nothing...it is merely a piece of cloth. To some it symbolizes all that is good and right. To some it is personal. Its not a little amazing to me that you so easily draw up battle lines for defense of a Quran burning while so easily discounting the burning of an Aemrican flag.

  10. #60
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSandeno View Post
    And the throwing of bottles and trash?
    Somone burns an American Flag in my presence, I would simply walk over and put it out,
    headline reads "Army vet puts out American flag set afire by Protester"

    if he put his hands on me to stop me,
    headline reads

    "Flag Burner makes one last fatal mistake"

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •