Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 177

Thread: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

  1. #121
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    it in no way cheapens free speech to know when to keep your mouth shut.
    Realistically/pragmatically: correct

    Ideologically/philosophically: wrong

    Politically: an ant hill
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-12-11 at 05:10 PM.

  2. #122
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Yes they are. They are fighting for what that peice of cloth represents. Its obvious you have not fought for this country. Go to Iraq. Go to any military installation in the country. The American flag is treated with respect. The reasons people agree to go to war may vary. Some are just there for a paycheck, some are there because of a sense of duty to their country. Regardless of the reason they are there, most will gain a sense of patriotism and respect for the flag and the values it represents.



    No they most certainly would not. No Muslim who would be ignorant enough to resort to violence over someone burning a book would even begin to understand my point. The muslims who would agree with my point are those who are intelligent. In case seem to be missing my point, it is that it is wrong to burn (or otherwise defile) the flag or Qu'ran. Your point is that it is ok to burn the flag but not the Qu'ran is completely misguided.



    I never said that anyone should purposefully start offending anyone.
    Again, you're not reading what I'm writing. I'm saying that people have the right do whatever they want to the Qu'ran or the flag. I'm saying that the consequences of buring the Qu'ran are likely to be much more severe and much more violent, so using an apples-to-apples comparison of the two is inaccurate and ineffective. I think placing so much value on either item is absolutely pointless. The flag means nothing until people start slewing symbolism on top of it, just like the Qu'ran. But people who will be offended by the flag burning are more likely to throw a bunch, while people offended by the Qu'ran burning are more likely to throw a grenade.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #123
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Realistically: correct
    Pragmatically: correct
    Ideologically: wrong
    Per who's ideology? =Op.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #124
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,686

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    My wife thinks I'm cute.
    She tells you that so you leave for work with a smile on your face instead of the frown you deserve!
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #125
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm not saying I like the idea of burning the flag, but based on the permissions granted to douche bag #2, I would have to assume that douche bag #1s arrest was tied to other actions than just the fact that he was burning the flag.
    I didn't agree with the trash throwing.
    However, they had every right to use their free speech to trash the would be flag burner.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  6. #126
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Per who's ideology? =Op.
    I've edited a bit to make it more fun.

    As per the ideology/philosophy behind free speech.

    You've an ant hill here because you divide not only statist vs. individual, but also pragmatic vs. philosophical. It's a big mess. You take individual and pragmatic, I take individual and philosophical, finding individual and pragmatic far to close to statist in this instance. Generally, I'm very pragmatic; not so much when it comes to free speech. I'm a free-market wildman when it comes to free speech.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-12-11 at 05:18 PM.

  7. #127
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I've edited a bit to make it more fun.

    As per the ideology/philosophy behind free speech. You've got an ant hill here becaue you divide not only statist vs. individual, but also pragmatic vs. philosophical. It's a big mess.
    I'm an enigma wrapped in a mystery, covered in bacon. What can I say?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #128
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm not having a circular argument with you any more. My initial point still stands. You can't compare the flag to the Qu'ran on the basis of the reaction it generates. One is inherently more risky than the other. Period.
    I am not basing my opinion on reaction. I am basing it off the fact that they are both offensive to a group of people. Both are wrong. You cannot say its wrong to burn the Qu'ran because it is offensive, but its ok to burn the American flag and noone should be offended. Both are offensive. Both are wrong. Because muslim extremists are ignorant does not make more wrong to offend them. That type of flawed thinking encourages ignorant behavior.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Anyone who truly values free speech does not throw trash at anyone who exercises that right. It honestly makes them look as retarded as the guy who thinks burning flags is a cool way to express anything. So basically, everyone in the OP's story is a loser in my book.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  10. #130
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,686

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Anyone who truly values free speech does not throw trash at anyone who exercises that right. It honestly makes them look as retarded as the guy who thinks burning flags is a cool way to express anything. So basically, everyone in the OP's story is a loser in my book.
    Actually, as soon as I heard they created a Facebook group to counter-protest, I face-palmed.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •