Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 177

Thread: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

  1. #111
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Tess, I'm not with ya on this one. Taunting lunatics out of their hiding is best for society.

  2. #112
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Your analogies are nowhere near the mark.

    If you are interested in discussing free speech, Muslim sensitivities, and their possibly insane responses, then we should stick to that.
    You're the one who tried to argue that I'm somehow cheapening free speech by trying to avoid insighting violence by choosing not to exercise the right. I was explaining to you, through examples, that it in no way cheapens free speech to know when to keep your mouth shut.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #113
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Tess, I'm not with ya on this one. Taunting lunatics out of their hiding is best for society.
    I respect that. I don't personally think dropping a strawberry on an anthill is the best method for me, personally...but hey, if it works I'll admit it works, ya know?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    All the more reason why we don't burn the damned Qu'ran, dude. We affect more than just a few people who place illogical value on the book.
    But of course it doesn't stop at the Quran, does it?

    The cartoons weren't about the Quran and yet riots and murders ensued. Neither 9/11 or 7/7 or the Madrid bombings, the Bali bombings, etc, involved the Quran. The point is they will kill you for whatever reason they choose and you can accept it or not. You choose to accept it, it seems, but that will not save you or your country over the long term.

  5. #115
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    But of course it doesn't stop at the Quran, does it?

    The cartoons weren't about the Quran and yet riots and murders ensued. Neither 9/11 or 7/7 or the Madrid bombings, the Bali bombings, etc, involved the Quran. The point is they will kill you for whatever reason they choose and you can accept it or not. You choose to accept it, it seems, but that will not save you or your country over the long term.
    I know a misquito is going to bite me if I hang out in a damp area, too...but I don't have to smear myself with honey to attract them.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    You're the one who tried to argue that I'm somehow cheapening free speech by trying to avoid insighting violence by choosing not to exercise the right. I was explaining to you, through examples, that it in no way cheapens free speech to know when to keep your mouth shut.
    I'm only suggesting that the examples you're using aren't particularly effective. Why not just stick to the subject at hand?

  7. #117
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    I know a lot of military men and women and they aren't fighting for the damned flag. When they speak of the ideals or rights they're defending it is almost always a fight to protect our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. They aren't defending a piece of clothe.
    Yes they are. They are fighting for what that peice of cloth represents. Its obvious you have not fought for this country. Go to Iraq. Go to any military installation in the country. The American flag is treated with respect. The reasons people agree to go to war may vary. Some are just there for a paycheck, some are there because of a sense of duty to their country. Regardless of the reason they are there, most will gain a sense of patriotism and respect for the flag and the values it represents.

    Further, any muslim who would fight back violently against somebody or some group responsible for burning a Qu'ran would have the same argument you're trying to make.
    No they most certainly would not. No Muslim who would be ignorant enough to resort to violence over someone burning a book would even begin to understand my point. The muslims who would agree with my point are those who are intelligent. In case seem to be missing my point, it is that it is wrong to burn (or otherwise defile) the flag or Qu'ran. Your point is that it is ok to burn the flag but not the Qu'ran is completely misguided.

    Neither argument is any better than the other, but it is much more damaging, and the consequences are much greater, if we decide to start purposely offending violent people to make a point.
    I never said that anyone should purposefully start offending anyone.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I know a misquito is going to bite me if I hang out in a damp area, too...but I don't have to smear myself with honey to attract them.
    Mosquitoes and honey now, huh?

    This is obviously going nowhere.

  9. #119
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I'm only suggesting that the examples you're using aren't particularly effective. Why not just stick to the subject at hand?
    I'm not having a circular argument with you any more. My initial point still stands. You can't compare the flag to the Qu'ran on the basis of the reaction it generates. One is inherently more risky than the other. Period.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #120
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Mosquitoes and honey now, huh?

    This is obviously going nowhere.
    I'm sorry if you have a hard time understanding comparative arguments, but that simply isn't my problem. Repeating myself doesn't seem to get through your little wall, so using a different method was the next logical course of action. You deciding to attack my style of debating only lends to my assumption that you really don't get or care to understand the issue...so as I said in post 119, I'm done here.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •