Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 177

Thread: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

  1. #101
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Sure.

    Nobody expects much from Muslims but that should not always be the case. Buying into and accepting their seventh century dogmas should not be considered for a moment as it would not advance civilization even a little. We should encourage them to be a part of civilized and open society, not treating them as hysterical adolescents with no sense of proportion.
    i agree completely, yes, WE should be held to a higher standard if we expect to hold ourselves up as the great society. as for muslims, they can practice their religion as they please, until it harms americans. we can't continue to be big brother to the world.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #102
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I know a lot of military men and women and they aren't fighting for the damned flag. When they speak of the ideals or rights they're defending it is almost always a fight to protect our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. They aren't defending a piece of clothe. Further, any muslim who would fight back violently against somebody or some group responsible for burning a Qu'ran would have the same argument you're trying to make. Neither argument is any better than the other, but it is much more damaging, and the consequences are much greater, if we decide to start purposely offending violent people to make a point.
    MOST military people I know would **** on anyone that attempted to desecrate the flag. They arent serving for a piece of cloth...they are serving to protect the things which that flag represents. They may even respect the rights of the individual that felt justified in burning the flag even though MOST people that would commit such an act are spineless spoiled little ****s who have never had to work for, protect, or defend anything in their lives. Its amazing who little something means to you when you have never had to invest anything. That doesnt mean it wouldnt piss MOST military people off.

  3. #103
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Seemed relevant:
    haha he's awesome.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #104
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    haha he's awesome.
    loves me some eddie.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I don't get your point. I can say and do what I please, but I'm smart enough to weigh the benefits and consequences first. If I went up to my boss and told him he's a stupid jackass and I hope he dies then I'm not going to have a job tomorrow....so even if I felt that way I'm not going to say it. If there is a problem I need to address I can find a better way to do with which will have less drastic consequences. So yeah, I wouldn't burn the Qu'ran, even though I support somebody's right to do it. I think it'd be a stupid, senseless way to insight violence that we don't need more of.

    Having the right to say anything is amazing, and I appreciate that I have it. Having the wisdom to know when to stop saying something is almost as awesome.
    I doubt that a Muslim is your employer and that the welfare of you and your family depends on your right to free speech. I doubt also that your boss would murder you, and many others, if you called him/her a jackass.

    What you are doing is withholding speech because of threats to your safety, as well as the threat to others. Anyone in fact. They can be completely unconnected to any perceived insults but they will still be murdered. That's what frightens you, right?

    And that is how terrorism works. The indiscriminate killing of innocent people is a horrifying thought, making it easy to meet the demands any group of murderous malcontents might make. As always, we can stand up to terrorism or acquiesce. But giving in to terrorism will not make it go away as they will never be satisfied. I think we can all recognize that.

  6. #106
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,367

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Taunting lunatics is good.

    So is fire.

    The only thing better than burning stuff is burning stuff to make people crazy.

    If I burn stuff, and you go nutz, it's like free fireworks.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-12-11 at 04:57 PM.

  7. #107
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I doubt that a Muslim is your employer and that the welfare of you and your family depends on your right to free speech. I doubt also that your boss would murder you, and many others, if you called him/her a jackass.

    What you are doing is withholding speech because of threats to your safety, as well as the threat to others. Anyone in fact. They can be completely unconnected to any perceived insults but they will still be murdered. That's what frightens you, right?

    And that is how terrorism works. The indiscriminate killing of innocent people is a horrifying thought, making it easy to meet the demands any group of murderous malcontents might make. As always, we can stand up to terrorism or acquiesce. But giving in to terrorism will not make it go away as they will never be satisfied. I think we can all recognize that.
    As far as I'm concerned, if not burning a book is what it takes to prevent some of the extremism from doing harm then I'll not burn the damned book. Free speech doesn't mean we should go around pissing off as many people as possible (though I again argue that you're only offended if you choose to be). I'm sure you don't think "oh wow, that woman is hideous" and then say it out loud to her face, right? And why not? Because it would probably lead to hurt feelings or an altercation, and you're (probably) not a total dick.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i agree completely, yes, WE should be held to a higher standard if we expect to hold ourselves up as the great society. as for muslims, they can practice their religion as they please, until it harms americans. we can't continue to be big brother to the world.
    Problem is, its not just Americans who are their victims, It's a serious international problem for everyone.

  9. #109
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Problem is, its not just Americans who are their victims, It's a serious international problem for everyone.
    All the more reason why we don't burn the damned Qu'ran, dude. We affect more than just a few people who place illogical value on the book.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if not burning a book is what it takes to prevent some of the extremism from doing harm then I'll not burn the damned book. Free speech doesn't mean we should go around pissing off as many people as possible (though I again argue that you're only offended if you choose to be). I'm sure you don't think "oh wow, that woman is hideous" and then say it out loud to her face, right? And why not? Because it would probably lead to hurt feelings or an altercation, and you're (probably) not a total dick.
    Your analogies are nowhere near the mark.

    If you are interested in discussing free speech, Muslim sensitivities, and their possibly insane responses, then we should stick to that.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •