Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 177

Thread: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

  1. #91
    Student TheGreatSandeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    192

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You can read my post several times, TheGreatSandeno, and nowhere will you find that I preferred a suppression of beliefs. I suggested possibly more effective methods.

    Indeed. And who can read a posting anymore without misinterpreting what was said?


    Well we can't deny them the expression of their beliefs I suppose.
    Would you mind clarifying the intentions of your post, then?

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    LMAO. I just think it's logic....or at least, I thought it was...

    I going to send my dog over to poop in your yard

  3. #93
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The bottom line here is that you expect more from Americans than you do from Muslims.
    shouldn't we?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I realize that by burning the Qu'ran I might set off some falling dominos that result in people dying...all because I was trying to make a statement that doesn't need to be made. I don't think a statement needs to be made in burning the US flag, either, but I also don't seriously think it would lead to multiple deaths at the hands of the offended.
    When people don't defend their beliefs of human rights and freedoms, free speech, etc, in any meaningful way, but allow others to bully you into respecting theirs, then the results are quite predictable.

    The idea that you will not defend basic human rights because someone might get hurt has become a popular notion these days and each generation seems to have to learn the tragic lessons of appeasement for themselves.

  5. #95
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    When people don't defend their beliefs of human rights and freedoms, free speech, etc, in any meaningful way, but allow others to bully you into respecting theirs, then the results are quite predictable.

    The idea that you will not defend basic human rights because someone might get hurt has become a popular notion these days and each generation seems to have to learn the tragic lessons of appeasement for themselves.
    I don't get your point. I can say and do what I please, but I'm smart enough to weigh the benefits and consequences first. If I went up to my boss and told him he's a stupid jackass and I hope he dies then I'm not going to have a job tomorrow....so even if I felt that way I'm not going to say it. If there is a problem I need to address I can find a better way to do with which will have less drastic consequences. So yeah, I wouldn't burn the Qu'ran, even though I support somebody's right to do it. I think it'd be a stupid, senseless way to insight violence that we don't need more of.

    Having the right to say anything is amazing, and I appreciate that I have it. Having the wisdom to know when to stop saying something is almost as awesome.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #96
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Are you just cherry picking what I'm saying? My original point was that you can't compare the two. The explanation for that point is that there are much larger consequences to burning the Qu'ran than there are to burning the flag based on the ideology of those who have placed symobolism on that item. Americans are (generally) too practical to start killing everybody who identifies with that dude who burned the flag. Muslims are specifically told to kill over offenses to the Qu'ran. Whether you like it or not, there is a difference between the two.
    And my point is that there is no difference between the two. The fact that Muslim extremists will violently react to something does not give a symbol of their belief a higher value. Millions of Americans have fought for and died for our flag. Because we as Americans are more civilized than the Muslim extremists does not diminish the values of our beliefs. There are millions of muslims around the world who do not resort to violence. It is not a universally accepted belief amongst their community to react that way. And it does not take anything away from they way that they value the Qu'ran. Because extremists will act violently does not excuse the behavior. Value of a symbol is not created by how ignorant the people who believe in it are willing to get.

    Whether you like it or not, burning the Qu'ran, American flag or any other symbol that represents a group of people is equally ignorant.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    shouldn't we?
    Sure.

    Nobody expects much from Muslims but that should not always be the case. Buying into and accepting their seventh century dogmas should not be considered for a moment as it would not advance civilization even a little. We should encourage them to be a part of civilized and open society, not treating them as hysterical adolescents with no sense of proportion.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSandeno View Post
    Would you mind clarifying the intentions of your post, then?
    Just read the post and comment on what was said, if you choose, otherwise I'll be 'clarifying' indefinitely.

  9. #99
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    And my point is that there is no difference between the two. The fact that Muslim extremists will violently react to something does not give a symbol of their belief a higher value. Millions of Americans have fought for and died for our flag. Because we as Americans are more civilized than the Muslim extremists does not diminish the values of our beliefs. There are millions of muslims around the world who do not resort to violence. It is not a universally accepted belief amongst their community to react that way. And it does not take anything away from they way that they value the Qu'ran. Because extremists will act violently does not excuse the behavior. Value of a symbol is not created by how ignorant the people who believe in it are willing to get.

    Whether you like it or not, burning the Qu'ran, American flag or any other symbol that represents a group of people is equally ignorant.
    I know a lot of military men and women and they aren't fighting for the damned flag. When they speak of the ideals or rights they're defending it is almost always a fight to protect our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. They aren't defending a piece of clothe. Further, any muslim who would fight back violently against somebody or some group responsible for burning a Qu'ran would have the same argument you're trying to make. Neither argument is any better than the other, but it is much more damaging, and the consequences are much greater, if we decide to start purposely offending violent people to make a point.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #100
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

    Seemed relevant:
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •