Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 115

Thread: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian
    A business that hires people when they are not needed, unless they are certain that in the near future the workers will be needed, is asking for failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    I don't think that is what Obama was saying. I don't think he was encouraging businesses to hire people even if they can't afford it.
    It's not a matter of 'afford', it's a matter of 'need'. Regardless of the companies ability to 'afford' additional workers, if they do not 'need' the workers, they will not hire the workers. Not unless they are sure they will need the workers in the near future.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    If the reduction in profits doesn't harm the function of the company and its ability to grow, then they can and should hire more people.
    Why? because YOU say so?

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Unions are the largest group of organizations that slam corporate profits, demonize business, and demand more jobs.
    This spin has nothing to do with what I said. Try addressing the point next time.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    Why? because YOU say so?
    What do you mean? Is this not a place for opinions or have I come to the wrong forum?

  5. #45
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Excessive profits are the kind that enable CEOs to make $15 million dollar salaries instead of hiring people who actually need money. I also want to make clear as others don't seem to understand that I'm not arguing corporations have a "responsibility" or "obligation" to anything, I'm arguing that they should in order to help the job market.
    If you don't like how a business rewards it's workers, don't do business with them. Don't invest in said company. Other then that, what they do is their own damned business and not yours.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #46
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    It's not a matter of 'afford', it's a matter of 'need'. Regardless of the companies ability to 'afford' additional workers, if they do not 'need' the workers, they will not hire the workers. Not unless they are sure they will need the workers in the near future.
    I just don't agree with that. Companies hire people they don't need all the time. The office environment is often the epitome of inefficiency. Companies cut back to the bare essentials during recessions, but it always returns to the way it was.

    Take the legal field for example. Five years ago firms would have incoming classes of dozens of people every year. They would have enormous internship programs and give their interns $50-a-day lunch budgets. After the recession, they not only stopped hiring, but fired many attorneys. Internship programs that consisted of 30 law students in 2006 were cut down to 3.

    Of course, demand for legal services has dropped due to the economy and the less money people have to spend on legal fees. But to a large extent, this is just companies being much much more cautious than they would be otherwise. Companies hire employees they don't need all the time---when trouble hits, they lay them off. When it doesn't, they stay on the payroll. If companies didn't take similar risks in many areas our economy would really be terrible.
    Last edited by Cameron; 05-12-11 at 11:29 AM.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  7. #47
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He's not frustrated.

    He's saying this, because he knows he has to put on a show. If he is frustrated, her needs to look in the mirror at the asshole that's killing the job market.
    Come on apdst. You know, that the despite the liberal that I am, that I'm not anti-business. But let's be fair here.

    When businesses don't hire even though they can, it's not their fault. But it's somehow Obama's fault that they don't and that the unemployment rate is 9%.

    If you're going to say it's the nature of the beast to not hire until they need to, that's fine, but at least let's be consistent and stop blaming Obama for the jobs picture. Corporations are sitting on a pile of liquid cash, so they have the resources but aren't hiring. That's fine, I don't blame them. But I don't see the need to repeatedly demonize Barack for the jobs picture either since the resources are there for hiring, it's just not happening yet.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    If you don't like how a business rewards it's workers, don't do business with them. Don't invest in said company. Other then that, what they do is their own damned business and not yours.
    Conversations like this are about ethics and contributing to society so you're comment is nonsensical. If you can't handle them, see the door.

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Come on apdst. You know, that the despite the liberal that I am, that I'm not anti-business. But let's be fair here.

    When businesses don't hire even though they can, it's not their fault. But it's somehow Obama's fault that they don't and that the unemployment rate is 9%.

    If you're going to say it's the nature of the beast to not hire until they need to, that's fine, but at least let's be consistent and stop blaming Obama for the jobs picture. Corporations are sitting on a pile of liquid cash, so they have the resources but aren't hiring. That's fine, I don't blame them. But I don't see the need to repeatedly demonize Barack for the jobs picture either since the resources are there for hiring, it's just not happening yet.
    This is my point. Obama is blamed for the unemployment rate, but the businesses who can employ people are not.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Tells Companies to 'Step Up' and Hire Workers

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    If the reduction in profits doesn't harm the function of the company and its ability to grow, then they can and should hire more people.

    It hurts the people that MATTER in the business world. Here's a hint, it's not the workers, it's the shareholders. THOSE are the folks that matter.

    Let's take two companies, both make cogs. One hires more workers at a loss of profit in response to Obama and one increases efficiancy and I have to go now tornado warning, bye
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •