Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 146

Thread: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

  1. #111
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Yet another example of so-called libertarians goose-stepping along with oppressive government. Does the mere mention of the word "gun" completely scramble all you hoplophiles' logical faculties?

    This isn't a gun rights issue. This is a free speech and medical privacy issue. The libertarian position is clear: the government should not interfere with a doctor and patient.
    Yeah, pretty much this. Less government micro-management is ALWAYS a good thing. As several people have stated in the thread already, the doctor should be able to ask whatever they like, that doesn't mean a patient has to answer truthfully, or even at all.

    Personally, I don't think it's any of the medical provider's business, but I don't need the government to tell them that, I'm perfectly capable of expressing my opinions all by myself.
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 05-12-11 at 11:19 AM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  2. #112
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Why do you keep saying they're? How many physicians were reported doing this?

    Does the word paranoia ring a bell.

    Anti-2nd amendment loons work with baby steps.It is not far fetched to see them using this as a back door firearms registration. They already trying to start a back door DNA database with your baby's dna. Why not a back door firearms registry?

    The government has your baby's DNA - CNN
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #113
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    How exactly does any of that harm you?
    How does something that is a precursor to firearms confiscation hurt you? You have to ask? I suppose that if you do not own firearms then it doesn't hurt you? If you have some absurd notion that no government in the whole entire has ever turned on it's people or that even in this country a fire arm registry has never been used to confiscate firearms then sure you might have some delusion that a firearm registry will not hurt you.

    GunCite - Gun Control: gun registration;firearm registration
    New Zealand has had some form of firearms registration since 1921. In 1974, all revolvers lawfully held for personal security were confiscated. (Same source as previous paragraph)

    In May of 1995, Canada's Bill C-68 prohibited previously legal and registered small-caliber handguns. Current owners of such guns were "grandfathered," which means the guns are to be forfeited upon death of the owner. Bill C-68 also authorizes the Canadian government to enact future weapons prohibitions.

    On 10 May 1996, Australia banned most semi-automatic rifles and semi-automatic and pump shotguns. Prior to this law, many Australian states and territories had firearms registration. Owners of these newly outlawed firearms were required to surrender them (with some monetary compensation). All such firearms are to be confiscated and destroyed after a 12-month amnesty program. Roughly 600,000 of an estimated 4 million Australian guns have been surrendered to authorities and destroyed.

    "Since 1921, all lawfully-owned handguns in Great Britain are registered with the government, so handgun owners have little choice but to surrender their guns in exchange for payment according to government schedule...The handgun ban by no means has satiated the anti-gun appetite in Great Britain." (All the Way Down the Slippery Slope: Gun Prohibition in England and Some Lessons for Civil Liberties in America", Hamline Law Review, 1999)

    Even in the United States, registration has been used to outlaw and confiscate firearms. In New York City, a registration system enacted in 1967 for long guns, was used in the early 1990s to confiscate lawfully owned semiautomatic rifles and shotguns. (Same source as previous paragraph) The New York City Council banned firearms that had been classified by the city as "assault weapons." This was done despite the testimony of Police Commissioner Lee Brown that no registered "assault weapon" had been used in a violent crime in the city. The 2,340 New Yorkers who had registered their firearms were notified that these firearms had to be surrendered, rendered inoperable, or taken out of the city. (NRA/ILA Fact Sheet: Firearms Registration: New York City's Lesson)
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #114
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    A number of reasons have been listed in this thread.
    Listing reasons doesn't make them legitimate.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #115
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    How does something that is a precursor to firearms confiscation hurt you? You have to ask? I suppose that if you do not own firearms then it doesn't hurt you? If you have some absurd notion that no government in the whole entire has ever turned on it's people or that even in this country a fire arm registry has never been used to confiscate firearms then sure you might have some delusion that a firearm registry will not hurt you.

    GunCite - Gun Control: gun registration;firearm registration
    New Zealand has had some form of firearms registration since 1921. In 1974, all revolvers lawfully held for personal security were confiscated. (Same source as previous paragraph)

    In May of 1995, Canada's Bill C-68 prohibited previously legal and registered small-caliber handguns. Current owners of such guns were "grandfathered," which means the guns are to be forfeited upon death of the owner. Bill C-68 also authorizes the Canadian government to enact future weapons prohibitions.

    On 10 May 1996, Australia banned most semi-automatic rifles and semi-automatic and pump shotguns. Prior to this law, many Australian states and territories had firearms registration. Owners of these newly outlawed firearms were required to surrender them (with some monetary compensation). All such firearms are to be confiscated and destroyed after a 12-month amnesty program. Roughly 600,000 of an estimated 4 million Australian guns have been surrendered to authorities and destroyed.

    "Since 1921, all lawfully-owned handguns in Great Britain are registered with the government, so handgun owners have little choice but to surrender their guns in exchange for payment according to government schedule...The handgun ban by no means has satiated the anti-gun appetite in Great Britain." (All the Way Down the Slippery Slope: Gun Prohibition in England and Some Lessons for Civil Liberties in America", Hamline Law Review, 1999)

    Even in the United States, registration has been used to outlaw and confiscate firearms. In New York City, a registration system enacted in 1967 for long guns, was used in the early 1990s to confiscate lawfully owned semiautomatic rifles and shotguns. (Same source as previous paragraph) The New York City Council banned firearms that had been classified by the city as "assault weapons." This was done despite the testimony of Police Commissioner Lee Brown that no registered "assault weapon" had been used in a violent crime in the city. The 2,340 New Yorkers who had registered their firearms were notified that these firearms had to be surrendered, rendered inoperable, or taken out of the city. (NRA/ILA Fact Sheet: Firearms Registration: New York City's Lesson)
    The comparison was seat belts. The rant was about seat belts. Seat belts not only save lives, but also save law enforcement, emergency management departments, and the government at large quite a bit of money, which means they indirectly save us quite a bit of money. It's legislation designed to benefit everybody. I've yet to see a blockade set up in Texas to check for seat-belts, but I have seen them set up for drunk drivers on days which are historically bad for drunk-driving accidents. I don't have a problem with them.

    As far as this gun issue goes, I'm pretty sure your argument is hyperbolic. The doctors aren't exactly friends with the Fed right now, in many cases. I don't seem them handing over patients' answers to "do you have a gun at home?" for the purpose of helping the government create some sort of registry of gun owners.

    This bill was stupid, the fact that they even created a bill was stupid, and the fact that we're arguing about how the fed is gonna steal our guns is equally stupid. If your doctor asks a question you don't like, don't answer it. If they won't treat you then find another doctor. Problem solved.

    Jesus.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #116
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    How does something that is a precursor to firearms confiscation hurt you? You have to ask? I suppose that if you do not own firearms then it doesn't hurt you? If you have some absurd notion that no government in the whole entire has ever turned on it's people or that even in this country a fire arm registry has never been used to confiscate firearms then sure you might have some delusion that a firearm registry will not hurt you.
    Usually you and I are on the same page when it comes to gun issues, however, I just can't seem to get worked up over this issue. It's really not the same as a registry because there's nothing legally requiring a gun owner to disclose to the physician that they own a gun. It's no different than a co-worker asking me if I own a gun. In both cases, they're free to ask and in both cases I'll just say "no." It's just easier that way. On the flip side, as soon as there is a hint of me being required to disclose my gun ownership for any sort of official informational gathering, I'll be among the loudest voices crying foul.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  7. #117
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Why do you keep saying they're? How many physicians were reported doing this?

    Does the word paranoia ring a bell.
    It might ring a bell to you. I've been asked by my physician during a physical whether or not I own a gun. Why would legislation be considered if only one or two physicians are asking? And since when have physicians assumed to be experts in firearms safety? Are you kidding me or what?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #118
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Maybe the Florida legislature needs to put a bill up to prevent doctors from asking who you voted for.
    Maybe the AMA needs to stick to medicine, and leave politics to the citizenry.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #119
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    It might ring a bell to you. I've been asked by my physician during a physical whether or not I own a gun. Why would legislation be considered if only one or two physicians are asking? And since when have physicians assumed to be experts in firearms safety? Are you kidding me or what?
    My OB/GYN and I discussed gun ownership during my last check up (I had a slight burn from a shell casing from a recent trip to the gun range). He advised me on what type of gun my boyfriend should get and then joked that instead of buying a gun we should just have a baby so that he (the doctor) could get a new gun instead.

    Context matters, I'd imagine, but I would think many doctors ask if they feel like the health of their patient is at risk for some reason. I had to tell my therapist whether I owned or had access to guns before I started my sessions with her. She said she needed to know what risks existed.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #120
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Listing reasons doesn't make them legitimate.
    Just saying they are not legitimate without offering reasons does not make it so.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •