Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647
Results 461 to 465 of 465

Thread: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

  1. #461
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Except that I live on a campus which allows guns, and there is no ill effect. There is no reported cases of ill effect from any of the other 10's of Universities which allow guns on campus. There is data, it's just not what you want. So you continue to engage in deflection to avoid dealing with the fact that thus far in reality all Universities which allow guns have seen no net increase nor decrease in crime rates and are not significantly different in "safety" from any other University which does not allow guns. You've used generalized statistics about gun ownership, yet if what you say is true we should have seen several cases of this already in University, yet there are no reports of such having occurred. Why do you think that is so? The most probable explanation is that guns on campus have little effect on overall safety rates.
    So far. And you may never see it. But that won't help those when it does happen somewhere. It is merely a risk without need.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #462
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So far. And you may never see it. But that won't help those when it does happen somewhere. It is merely a risk without need.
    A false perception of risk is not evidence enough to allow restriction of a right. It's quite simple, really. By definition, I don't have to demonstrate a need to exercise a right and that's where your hypothetical argument falls short.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  3. #463
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,736

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    A false perception of risk is not evidence enough to allow restriction of a right. It's quite simple, really. By definition, I don't have to demonstrate a need to exercise a right and that's where your hypothetical argument falls short.
    I have a solution

    those who are scared of carrying weapons should not

    those of us who are competent should be able to do so

    problem solved



  4. #464
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I have a solution

    those who are scared of carrying weapons should not

    those of us who are competent should be able to do so

    problem solved

    Deal. Where do I sign?
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  5. #465
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So far. And you may never see it. But that won't help those when it does happen somewhere. It is merely a risk without need.
    No, the risk is restricting our rights when there is no need to. You make this call for government force againt the rights and liberties of others based on nothing more than your feelings and guesses. Yet in every REAL WORLD scenario wherein guns have been allowed on campus, we've seen nothing that you continue to suggest would happen if students were to carry guns. So who here is wrong? You or reality?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •