Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 465

Thread: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

  1. #421
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Besides the fact that isn't how it happens, it is not his ability to shoot that would be at question. It would be his decision making on when and where, and whether he would panic or not and not kill others in the effort. A school shooter merely shots. And he who shots first, by and large, wins.
    Now, you are a being inflexible. Have no other choice but to go for the jugular

    What prevents them from doing it now? The thing that will stop a crazy with a gun, teacher, milk truck driver, kids, whatever, is another person WITH A GUN.

    Thats the only thing that works! Who is in school all the time? Teachers/students

    Nothing will stop a crazed dumb**** or anyone else from killing students/teachers, except the knowledge that Bob, John, Suzy or Mrs. Daisy from History across the hall MIGHT be armed, or better yet, they KNOW other students/teachers could be armed.

    Why don't the fruity loops attack places where they know a gun could be? Because guns are a deterrent! Boo

    It's why PDs are rarely attacked by crazy people. Even insane people get it.

    And remember....

    Keep training
    Last edited by ric27; 05-17-11 at 01:52 PM.

  2. #422
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    The point is to protect those in the classroom. We actually have a plan that doesn't involve anyone having a gun. We've praticed it, and timed officer response.

    And people with guns are attacked. They're ususally dead. I proved this point to my brother in law once, as i've said before. He made your argument. I shot him with a paint ball before he even knew he was in trouble.

    But I have a dog, three actually, and I haven't been robbed either, even though my nieghbors have. There are all kinds of ways not look like a victim. You don't really have to have a gun. A gun is no more than atool. As with any tool, it is the person who uses it that matters and not the tool itself.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #423
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The point is to protect those in the classroom. We actually have a plan that doesn't involve anyone having a gun. We've praticed it, and timed officer response.

    And people with guns are attacked. They're ususally dead. I proved this point to my brother in law once, as i've said before. He made your argument. I shot him with a paint ball before he even knew he was in trouble.

    But I have a dog, three actually, and I haven't been robbed either, even though my nieghbors have. There are all kinds of ways not look like a victim. You don't really have to have a gun. A gun is no more than atool. As with any tool, it is the person who uses it that matters and not the tool itself.
    I will absolutely agree with you on one point. Not everyone has to have a gun. It should be up to the individual to decide if they want the responsibility of carrying a firearm. That said, those that do want to have and carry a gun should not be limited by those that don't. I don't want a dog and I think that improperly trained dogs are dangerous and hard to control, much more so than a gun. However, that doesn't mean that you can't own dogs.

    Oh...and your paintball analogy is ridiculous and quite reckless on your part, if guns and gun owners are as dangerous as you claim.
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 05-17-11 at 02:41 PM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  4. #424
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The point is to protect those in the classroom. We actually have a plan that doesn't involve anyone having a gun. We've praticed it, and timed officer response.

    And people with guns are attacked. They're ususally dead. I proved this point to my brother in law once, as i've said before. He made your argument. I shot him with a paint ball before he even knew he was in trouble.

    But I have a dog, three actually, and I haven't been robbed either, even though my nieghbors have. There are all kinds of ways not look like a victim. You don't really have to have a gun. A gun is no more than atool. As with any tool, it is the person who uses it that matters and not the tool itself.
    You working against yourself here, Boo.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  5. #425
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    In Texas, we don't have many home invasions. Criminals know there's a very likely chance that they encounter a homeowner loaded for bear, and with our Castle laws, the shooter won't even be bothered with a court appearance.

    A TON of people here have their concealed-weapon license, and I assure you, they'll use it. A few people in every buidling will be carrying, and someone with bad intentions might think twice, and if they don't, they'll be gunned down far sooner than before.
    Then why does Texas have an above-the-national-average violent crime rate (per capita); and why do the New England states ALL rank near the bottom with the lowest violent crime rates? Indeed, nearly all of the Southern, most gun-friendly states have above-national-average violent crime rates.

    My state of Tennessee, which practically mandates carrying guns out pointed at anyone who looks suspicious, has the 2nd highest rate in the nation (behind South Carolina, and just above Nevada, Florida, Louisiana, and Alaska - all gun-friendly places). The only "state" that beats them all is the District of Columbia. Texas is 16th.

    CRIME RATES

  6. #426
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Then why does Texas have an above-the-national-average violent crime rate (per capita); and why do the New England states ALL rank near the bottom with the lowest violent crime rates? Indeed, nearly all of the Southern, most gun-friendly states have above-national-average violent crime rates.

    My state of Tennessee, which practically mandates carrying guns out pointed at anyone who looks suspicious, has the 2nd highest rate in the nation (behind South Carolina, and just above Nevada, Florida, Louisiana, and Alaska - all gun-friendly places). The only "state" that beats them all is the District of Columbia. Texas is 16th.

    CRIME RATES
    Look at the gap between D.C. which has the most strict gun laws and South Carolina. It's about 800....
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  7. #427
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Then why does Texas have an above-the-national-average violent crime rate (per capita); and why do the New England states ALL rank near the bottom with the lowest violent crime rates? Indeed, nearly all of the Southern, most gun-friendly states have above-national-average violent crime rates.

    My state of Tennessee, which practically mandates carrying guns out pointed at anyone who looks suspicious, has the 2nd highest rate in the nation (behind South Carolina, and just above Nevada, Florida, Louisiana, and Alaska - all gun-friendly places). The only "state" that beats them all is the District of Columbia. Texas is 16th.

    CRIME RATES
    Just to shoot holes in your argument, pun intended, the New England states allow conceal carry. And could it be, that most New England STATES are the sized of Southern COUNTIES. We have more people so naturally the crime rate is going to be higher. It could be that the crime rates are inflated by people that have illegally purchased guns so that they can't run the casings and track the weapon.

    http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    Last edited by DashingAmerican; 05-17-11 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added Link
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  8. #428
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    I will absolutely agree with you on one point. Not everyone has to have a gun. It should be up to the individual to decide if they want the responsibility of carrying a firearm. That said, those that do want to have and carry a gun should not be limited by those that don't. I don't want a dog and I think that improperly trained dogs are dangerous and hard to control, much more so than a gun. However, that doesn't mean that you can't own dogs.

    Oh...and your paintball analogy is ridiculous and quite reckless on your part, if guns and gun owners are as dangerous as you claim.
    He had no way to get his gun before I shot him. The point.

    And I don't deny people to have a gun. Nor would I ever suggest that. I deny them to have a gun at school. Very specific.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #429
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    You working against yourself here, Boo.
    I don't believe I am.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #430
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    He had no way to get his gun before I shot him. The point.
    ...and you proved that if a family member wants to assassinate you without any provocation, you likely can't stop them. However, this is not an accurate scenario for demonstrating self-defense because the bad guy rarely knows where you will be at a given time, in order to set up an ambush like you likely did and they usually don't open fire for no reason, (the goal of most violent crimes being to draw as little attention to the bad guy as possible.) To complicate matters further, maybe your family member has terrible situational awareness. Your one anecdotal story (which you're tried to pass off as proof before) does absolutely nothing to prove the point that you think you're making.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And I don't deny people to have a gun. Nor would I ever suggest that. I deny them to have a gun at school. Very specific.
    Denying me carrying my gun anywhere is denying me having a gun, period. You don't get to pick when and where I exercise my Second Amendment right, just like I can't choose when and where you exercise your First Amendment right. This really is not complicated, Boo. Stop trying to make it seem that way.
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 05-17-11 at 04:37 PM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •