Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 465

Thread: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

  1. #411
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Training is important

    That said.....That punk ass kid may not be a master class shooter with years of training under his belt (but has the basics pinned down) ...and when the unthinkable happens and there is a gunman in the classroom who is going to tie up your or someone's daughter, rape her and then shoot her in the back of the head, wouldn't you rather that kid be equipped to at least try?
    Besides the fact that isn't how it happens, it is not his ability to shoot that would be at question. It would be his decision making on when and where, and whether he would panic or not and not kill others in the effort. A school shooter merely shots. And he who shots first, by and large, wins.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #412
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, I don't attribute it to lack of guns or having guns. It's the nature of the place. More structure overall, people mostly there for a purpose, and there is little need for violence. But it is this safe environment that makes guns largely not needed. The point about how safe it is relates to need for anyone to carry a gun. There really is no need for one.

    And restrcitions can be backed up in a number of ways. Not just data, which can be helpful, but with sound reasoning as well. A person can look at the population, look at how they handle over responsibilities, how likley they are to make poor judgements, assess the need, and reach a conclusion even without studies that address the specific situation.

    And no one is really losing anything. Most have managed to go to school without being armed for a long time now with nothing lost.
    When rights are restricted, the People always lose. Most do go to school without being armed, even in schools which allow guns such as mine. What is lost by allowing people to exercise their rights? Nothing, it's an exercise in freedom. Until it's a problem, I see no need to use government force against the rights and liberties of the individual.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #413
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Besides the fact that isn't how it happens, it is not his ability to shoot that would be at question. It would be his decision making on when and where, and whether he would panic or not and not kill others in the effort. A school shooter merely shots. And he who shots first, by and large, wins.
    The flaw in your logic is that he can't shoot multiple people at once.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  4. #414
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    The flaw in your logic is that he can't shoot multiple people at once.
    If he has the right weapon, he sure can. But we really wouldn't need to. These things happen fast, they are chaotic, and it is unlikely an untrained person would react fast enough to effectively draw his weapong, find the shooter before the shooter found him.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #415
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    When rights are restricted, the People always lose. Most do go to school without being armed, even in schools which allow guns such as mine. What is lost by allowing people to exercise their rights? Nothing, it's an exercise in freedom. Until it's a problem, I see no need to use government force against the rights and liberties of the individual.
    That's silly. This would mean we could never have any restriction on anything as we would always lose. The fact is reasonable restrictions often help and make things opporate safer and smoother. And forsight is the ability to see the problems before they crop up.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #416
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's silly. This would mean we could never have any restriction on anything as we would always lose. The fact is reasonable restrictions often help and make things opporate safer and smoother. And forsight is the ability to see the problems before they crop up.
    Gun oil makes things operate safer and smoother, not restrictions. Foresight without any supporting evidence is just wild-ass guessing.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  7. #417
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Gun oil makes things operate safer and smoother, not restrictions. Foresight without any supporting evidence is just wild-ass guessing.
    There is supporting evidence. We know young people are less likely to make good decisions. That's supporting evidence. We know schools are quite safe without weapons. That's supporting evidence. We know people shoot themselves more often than they shoot criminals. That is supporting evidence. Police trainers say that armed students are nto likley to prevent shootings at schools. That is supporting evidence. And a reasonable person, with foresight, and justifiably reach the conclusion that armed students is a bad idea.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #418
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's silly. This would mean we could never have any restriction on anything as we would always lose. The fact is reasonable restrictions often help and make things opporate safer and smoother. And forsight is the ability to see the problems before they crop up.
    At the cost of freedom. It's not saying that you cannot have restriction, but it's meant to urge one to actually think about the restrictions you want to put in place. Since things like anarchy cannot work with humans, we are left with a system which demands government of some sort. Keep the calm sort of thing. However, foresight as you say, is not something that really exists. You're not Maddam Cleo and you have no clairvoyance. You can speak to probabilities; but that's it. It is likely X. But you still don't know, you cannot know the future. But the fact also remains that our system is meant to be reactive. You don't restrict everyone based off of maybes and could bes.

    The end result is that you haven't really provided any evidence and continue not to but rather claim some clairvoyance and ability to know the future. But nothing you have brought up has really stood out as proof and reason to restrict adults in our society from exercising their rights.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #419
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There is supporting evidence. We know young people are less likely to make good decisions. That's supporting evidence. We know schools are quite safe without weapons. That's supporting evidence. We know people shoot themselves more often than they shoot criminals. That is supporting evidence. Police trainers say that armed students are nto likley to prevent shootings at schools. That is supporting evidence. And a reasonable person, with foresight, and justifiably reach the conclusion that armed students is a bad idea.
    No one on my campus with a gun has made a "bad" eecision. My campus is just as safe as any other (maybe even safer) with weapons. No one on my campus has accidently shot themselves with their gun. Police are 10 minutes away when you really need them. So much for your "supporting" evidence. It hasn't seemed to work out in real life yet.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #420
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    make things opporate safer
    forsight is the ability to see
    dept chair, huh?

Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •