Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 465

Thread: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

  1. #321
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    No.

    Proper gun regulation is:

    If you're an ex-con and you're caught with a gun, you're going back to jail.

    If you're anyone and you use a firearm in the commission of a crime, even when it is not fired, it's armed assault, and you're going to jail.

    Owning a weapon should not be subject to any requirements whatsoever.

    The carrying of a weapon should be restricted only in the most precise of conditions, such as no guns in a fireworks factory. Bad idea, that.




    So, you're aware of the Bureau of Pre-Crime, and that it's being established today under Obama?

    Is there an Amendment wending it's way through the States allowing Pre-Crime to be considered in prosecutions?
    Not that I disagree with those laws, but that they are the only reasonable and proper ones. Not allowing guns in the classroom is also reasonable. Very reasonable.

    As for the other, start a thread on it if you like. Might be worth discussing.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #322
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not that I disagree with those laws, but that they are the only reasonable and proper ones. Not allowing guns in the classroom is also reasonable. Very reasonable.

    As for the other, start a thread on it if you like. Might be worth discussing.
    You have no proof for you assertion.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #323
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not that I disagree with those laws, but that they are the only reasonable and proper ones. Not allowing guns in the classroom is also reasonable. Very reasonable.

    As for the other, start a thread on it if you like. Might be worth discussing.
    While they look reasonable, in fact they are not reasonable. It is all these little "exceptions" that destroyed the 2nd Amendment as we see it today. When our Forefathers (IF you give them any weight) wrote the 2nd Amendment, all of these "exceptions" were known to them, and they put no limit on gun control,...in fact they specifically wrote, "Shall Not Be Infringed." Now how can anyone screw up those words????????
    One Tin Soldier Walked Away..................

  4. #324
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Bravo for one less "Defenseless Victim Zone" in this country.
    Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms - CBS News[/url]
    Edit: The nigh hysterical comments on the article are pure gold... "OMG, BLOOD in the streets!!"
    You and I both know that sooner or later someone will misuse his/her power and innocent lives will be lost, all because Texans hope anarchy will protect them from possible misused authority and the million to one possibility of someday needing a gun for protection...

    You people watch far too many gangsta movies...

    ricksfolly

  5. #325
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Did you hug your child today? Did you teach him gun safety?

    One Tin Soldier Walked Away..................

  6. #326
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by shintao View Post
    While they look reasonable, in fact they are not reasonable. It is all these little "exceptions" that destroyed the 2nd Amendment as we see it today. When our Forefathers (IF you give them any weight) wrote the 2nd Amendment, all of these "exceptions" were known to them, and they put no limit on gun control,...in fact they specifically wrote, "Shall Not Be Infringed." Now how can anyone screw up those words????????
    Those words have never been as absolute as some try to make them. At times the courts have ruled that regulation is quite reasonable. They do have some contradictory rulings, true, but regulation has always been allowed ins ome form or another. I think they look at the first part, the well regulated part. However, as we both can pull up qualified opinion to support eithe rside, which is one reason I think the amendment is porrly written.

    What makes something reasonable has somethign to do with need versus response. There is no real reason to have a gun in the classroom. You save nor protect yourself from anything, but bring an unnecessary risk to the classroom.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #327
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You have no proof for you assertion.
    Just for the record, reasoning is support.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #328
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Just a reflection.....

    The schools are only a reflection of today's society. Parents are too busy....getting divorced, getting drunk/high/you name it, to actually be parents.


    It is not the educaitonal system that is broken, it is the American family.

    Reason why, we are in this stage

  9. #329
    Educator shintao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    10-19-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    994

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Those words have never been as absolute as some try to make them. At times the courts have ruled that regulation is quite reasonable. They do have some contradictory rulings, true, but regulation has always been allowed ins ome form or another. I think they look at the first part, the well regulated part. However, as we both can pull up qualified opinion to support eithe rside, which is one reason I think the amendment is porrly written.

    What makes something reasonable has somethign to do with need versus response. There is no real reason to have a gun in the classroom. You save nor protect yourself from anything, but bring an unnecessary risk to the classroom.
    A child might appreciate having a gun in his back pack on his way home from school, or a school shooting, or being kidnapped. Just because he has a gun at school, does not mean he has to have it on his desk top, probably in his back pack. Children taught gun safety understand how to treat the gun-tool. I had lessons when I was five or so, and never had an incident in my lifetime dealing with improper use of a firearm.

    The other issue here is the difference between private & public schools & Constitutional rights. Parents opposed to guns can always send their child to a private school, or home school him/her.

    And I clearly oppose the courts interpretation and gun laws. You can't misread shall not be infringed. People have lost the idea that freedom requires sacrifice and isn't free.
    Last edited by shintao; 05-14-11 at 03:31 PM.
    One Tin Soldier Walked Away..................

  10. #330
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Texas Senate approves guns in college classrooms

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yeah, we all can find a story, but what we would be the numbers concerning accidental shooting versus accidental knifing. Do you really think they are equal?
    Accidental knifings are probably far more common... because knives are far more commonly used.

    I've accidentally knifed myself on more occasions than I can remember. I accidentally knifed a friend once, when we were working to rig a load on a trailer. The knife cut through suddenly, and his hand was too close... felt really bad about that.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •